Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Medina Spirit - Positive - Betamethasone   Triple Crown

Started May-9 by SameSteve G; 19067 views.
PISTOL9

May-9

Great news, too late to help those who bet against.  Hopefully it sticks and BB stops getting these super horses appear after showing they don't want the distance.  So it is possible Mandaloun gets put up?  Would love that.  Hopefully affects Preakness.  Since mainstream outlets carrying the news, have to believe or hope it may stick, but will be very leery if he gets off with second test.  It will be short term bad for the sport to the casual public, but I think it is great for handicappers longer term cleaning out the bad.

SameSteve G

May-9

Pistol, I hope he gets popped good & proper.  I meant that trainer(s) continually deeking the system is bad for the sport, short & long term.

Having Baffert pay a real price = good for the sport in the short & long term.

He's been held up at the face of racing in the same way Armstrong became the face of cycling & many ballplayers were heroes until they became zeroes.

Sport need to be bigger than the players, IMO.

DogsUp

May-9

GMAFB.

The state troopers were knocking on my door this morning as I readied for church.

They served me with search warrant papers and confiscated all my handicapping materials and downloaded all my Forum DogsUp 2021and 9 years back Derby Diary notes.

My stuff will not be returned to me as I had drafted and won with Medina Spirit in our handicapping contest here on the forum. Alleged that Baffert called me and said he is the Tom Brady of Derby wins and told me to act surprised when colt wins. 

My blood sample came back positive for chianti  and a side of baked ziti. 

(d)

RAESFAN

May-9

Does that mean Medina Spirit scratches out of the Preakness?

princeofdoc

May-9

Hey Steve!  Yes, all over the news...

Can you tell me what the effect of Betamethasone is?  Is any amount legal?  Was it ever legal?  And is it covered up by the use of Lasix?

Thanks!

RAESFAN

May-9

Baffert said, “It’s disturbing. It’s an injustice to the horse. . . . I don’t know what’s going on in racing right now, but it’s not right. I don’t feel embarrassed, but I feel wronged.”

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks!" Shakespeare(Hamlet)

SameSteve G

May-9

DogsUp said:

My blood sample came back positive for chianti  and a side of baked ziti. 

Haha!  Hey, it's not the ziti, it's the marinara.  :)

Gerh

May-9

It is an anti inflammatory.I believe 10 picograms is the legal limit.Medina Spirit’s sample had 21 picograms.I don’t think Lasix would mask it, but it would dilute it

TexSquared

May-9

More importantly does Brad Cox enter Mandaloun in the Preakness since (albeit decided in the courts...) he might have a shot at the Triple Crown?

SameSteve G

May-9

Betamethasone is a legal drug, class C in Kentucky.  That means it's okay in training but must not be used 14 days or less prior to a race.  It's a  (steroidal) pain med with anti-inflammatory properties...this is all according to varying sources.

Lasix masks drugs - that's a given.

Churchill has said the following:

In response to the positive result and "given the seriousness of the alleged offense," Churchill Downs Incorporated, the parent company of Churchill Downs, has suspended Baffert from entering any horses at Churchill Downs Racetrack.

"Failure to comply with the rules and medication protocols jeopardizes the safety of the horses and jockeys, the integrity of our sport and the reputation of the Kentucky Derby and all who participate. Churchill Downs will not tolerate it," it said in a statement.

Churchill Downs also said if the findings were upheld, Medina Spirit will be disqualified and Mandaloun will be declared the winner of last weekend's Kentucky Derby.