Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Ragozin RIP   Handicapping

Started May-17 by RAESFAN; 644 views.
RAESFAN

May-17

I'd like to pay my respects to one of the great contributors to the sport of horse racing. The originator of the Sheets has passed over to the other side!

Wintertrian

May-17

Yes, I saw that news today, 93 years old or thereabouts?  I'm sure he will be missed though I never have followed the sheets or paid for any of it.  

It's amazing how all these top outfits don't even get the horses any more right than we do.  The Thorograph guys told to box midnight bourbon and medina spirit.  Not too bad, but not winners.

SameSteve G

May-18

With you 100% & not primarily because of the Sheets which did prove to be an excellent handicapping tool when interpreted properly.   

Len's legacy will live on in the culture & society at large.  When he sold the Sheets, he chose to do good with the money.  The Len Ragozin Foundation helps people.

https://www.lenragozinfoundation.org/

RAESFAN

May-18

I wasn't aware. Thanks for the info!

RAESFAN

May-18

And still they are better than the meteorologists down here in the islands! grin

princeofdoc

May-29

Thanks, Steve!  Who knew?!?  Wow, so unusual to start such a foundation from proceeds from a handicapping company.....must have been quite a guy, which I could have met him :)

SameSteve G

May-29

I would love to have met him, as well.  I only know what's public knowledge.  Based on that, I don't think it's an exaggeration to characterize Ragozin as a Renaissance Man.  A rare breed. 

ShaddyisBack

Jun-2

That is sad, each new month it feels like a part of this country disappears, or so it feels like it. I am 56 and feel like I live on the backend of a great generation, great time in world history and each day, a little more of the good life is GONE.

Music.... What new Music ?

Baseball ?

Even Horse Racing... the track and the feel of going up to the ticket counter... all gone

Remember going up to the counter at Delaware Park in the Club house Circa 1973 and I was 8... Yep, let him make the bet, he is my grandson....

Then as i started doing it on my own at 13, 14 I had to find the RIGHT Teller..... that would let me... Could even buy cigarettes...

Wintertrian

Jun-7

ShaddyisBack said...

let him make the bet, he is my grandson....

Then as i started doing it on my own at 13, 14 I had to find the RIGHT Teller..... that would let me.

That's a truly lovely memory.  

I was about 8 years old when my grandmother and grandfather took us to these firemen's festivals, they had games, great food, and a Polka band.  (they were czech and a lot of people in that area were as well).   They gave me 2 quarters and I immediately went w/my brothers to the "wheel."   Yes, you slap your quarter down on a number and spin the wheel.  I actually made  money....guess that ruined me for life because it was *gambling*. 
My grandfather also taught me how to drink (just a sip) of beer during watching our baseball games together, he was a brooklyn dodgers fan and I learned how to curse by the czech words he was always using against the NY Yankees.  LOL    (If my mother only knew, he was such a great "bad influence" on me).   He was not a drinker by the way, just 1 Shaeffer beer during a baseball game once a month and he let me try it.   Of course in those days, it was okay to let your kids have a little coffee too......seems much better today than those McDonalds and all the sugary treats.  (we were never allowed to eat McD's.....my mom only used hand-formed ground sirloin for our hamburgers and you couldn't do better than that.)