Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

2021 2 year olds   Handicapping

Started Jul-2 by smartyslew; 22938 views.
Wintertrian

Aug-21

princeofdoc said...

the premium stables at the top tracks

What is your definition of *premium*?

Japan Racing at Miho and Ritto Training Centers is premim ---- every aspect was built with the horse's well-being in mind.   They are drug free when racing.  "Amenities for the horses at Miho :  "60-meter indoor swimming pool.   And if, after a dip, winter winds cast a chill, it’s no problem. Horses dry off under a hot-air fan before returning to their stalls. There are water treadmills, and a fully staffed hospital w/30 on-site veterinarians, a forest with trails and a waterfall, training ovals with different courses, and a steep slope course specifically designed for developing endurance.  They are not even exposed to pollution from cars and buses (realizeing that horses are sensitive).   The hospital is latest-greatest.......a grown man can fit his forearm into one of the equine nebulizer masks, and you could park a forklift on the X-ray platform. The training courses are given extra bounce to reduce wear and tear on horses’ legs.  At Miho’s periphery, recorded birdsong warbles forth from speakers along a verdant walking path — tapes are even switched to match the season.  Parched horses can quench their thirst at a scenic waterfall nearby. Aside from the rolling pastures of Hokkaido, where the vast majority of Japanese racehorses are bred, this is as close to equine heaven as it gets......"

Miho horses are coddled even in the hereafter. At a picturesque grove between racing tracks, horse-lovers place oats, carrots and sugar before a shrine honoring the souls of late contenders...."

“It’s definitely the best I’ve ever worked at,” said Lisa Mumby, 26, a New Zealand jockey.  "They look after the horse and treat it like an animal with feelings.”

Its the antithesis to the utter dysfunction of American racing in every way.  They run a clean sport. 

US racing OTOH is like playing the stock market w/out a Securities and Exchange Commission to oversee it. 

And that is why the amount of money wagered on Japanese racing is about triple the amount wagers on American tracks despite American tracks running 3x as many races and the US having 3x the population of Japan.   

Rachel Alexandra like I said in the other topic, was burned out and not even turned out to pasture.  She was kept at the racetrack and her "vacation" was in a round pen over at the backside.   This is what people like Jackson do.  She was an "investment" and they juiced the lemon.   

I cried over her.   

princeofdoc

Aug-21

Well-bred colts contested the 1st at SAR today, and Pletcher has a good one in Major General.....looked like he was passed, and he came back to win first out easily.  Well prepared, well ridden Constitution colt should continue to impress.

On the other hand, Asmussen's million $$ colt, Raymond, ran like s**t.  Broke well, contested the lead, and faded to the back without much left. 

smartyslew

Aug-21

Thanks, 6.5 f race

Major General grabbed the lead , lead at all calls no more than a length lead

and every call  a different entrant in 2nd place and 2nd place finisher Bourbon Heist

already on our list loses by a neck after a real bad trip, bumped hard at the start

could make a case by some best in the race to stretch out, long way to go from

6.5 f. saying that both are on the list. 

RAESFAN

Aug-21

MTR continues to enjoy success in these juvy turf sprints, especially with his fillies. At Monmouth today, a filly named Koala Princess, out of a Lonhro mare, won her debut by 8, not easy to do at such a short distance. Hopefully, he’ll have a chance to expand his impressive success as a sire of BC champions!

smartyslew

Aug-21

More trainers are pointing their fillies to turf and there might be less

off the turf races this year, our filly turf list is twice as big as dirt races.

MTR and Elusive Quality are 2 Sires in the BMSire window of time and both

didn't get high class mares when they started, IMO I think both will be better

BMSIRES than Sires and one could say their early mates might produce better

than first imaginable with the time given to learn more about both.

In fact If it was up to me I would mate up to those 2 sires every day.

princeofdoc

Aug-21

Pletcher has an even better one in My Prankster, won easily, this one I bet, as he outworked stable mate who won earlier......again, Asmussen's colt bet down, went to lead, and had nothing in stretch.  I think Pletcher is much better having a 1st timer ready than Asmussen

princeofdoc

Aug-21

Saez was on both.....assuming that Pletcher is well-advised to be looking at the books for a couple of two turn races to try them in 4-5 weeks, if they come back well and continue to train.  Here again is the place for Game Theory Optimal we talked about for poker......perhaps send one to CD, the other to Keeneland? 

princeofdoc

Aug-21

1st at Del Mar brought two colts for watching......D'amato's Ain't Easy was masterfully ridden by Joel and won easily, but Mandella's Infinite Empire ran on strong for 2nd after going quite wide under Prat

princeofdoc

Aug-21

Mandella has another nice one called Forbidden Kingdom....won a tough one vs. 2 highly regarded Baffert colts, but got a good price at 4-1.  Fast time, showed determination.....I think Mandella will be showcasing a few this fall!

Plus2lbs

Aug-21

Was the best horse I saw run today...till the last at Saratoga...wow