Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Monmouth rule caused the Haskell incident?   General Discussions

Started Jul-18 by RAESFAN; 516 views.
RAESFAN

Jul-18

The president of the Jockey Guild is blaming Monmouth officials for the Haskell incident. He thinks that the horse's course could have been corrected by a left handed whack. I've seen horses lug or veer, despite vigorous whip action by jocks. Isn't that a bit of an oversimplification on his part, to attack a rule he disagreed with to begin with? What say you?

SameSteve G

Jul-18

Gross oversimplification.  Charlie was ridden into Midnight's path.  He would have ridden the horse in even if he has unlimited whip strokes.

Watch the replay.  Very sketchy ride.

Fortunate indeed that both Midnight & jock are okay.   Small field cut in half by the speed bias, as well.

smartyslew

Jul-18

Edit to say I was wrong, I had my charts mixed up.

Oldbettowin

Jul-18

Prat couldn’t really say much after filing the objection against Gaffalione and Maximum Security.

princeofdoc

Jul-19

good point.....he knew he was at fault

In reply toRe: msg 5
Wintertrian

Jul-30

Whipping is a tough subject.   I don't have all the answers, but I do have an opinion.   I also am not a jockey and have never been one.  

1)  I'm 1000% against whipping in the latter stages of any race, when horses are fatigued and often not able to respond.   Certainly not in the last 1/2-3/4 furlong.   "heels and hands" would do that job just fine. 

2) No horse should be whipped more than 3 times, total, in any race.  I really don't want to see more than that.  There are few races I have ever seen where issues of "safety" are served by whipping more times than that. 

I almost have PSTD having watched some very well-known jockeys flail and practically *beat* very high level hard-trying horses in very well-known high level races. (everyone knows which ones I'm talking about..... even the most hardened gamblers *winced* watching that crap.)  More people should have spoken out about that stuff esp if they claim to care about horses. ) 

Horses of that caliber certainly aren't needing that, and if they are, then the trainer did not have them *race ready*. 

I know that in the UK they do have whipping-free races, known as “hands and heels” races ----- where apprentice jockeys can carry, but not use, the whip unless in extreme circumstances.

Extreme circumstances (to me) denote some kind of crisis type *safety risk event*.    Although I'm not really sure even a whip is going to do anything to make a 1500+ pound animal do something they don't want to do.

Otherwise, whips should not be used to make a horse go faster, and most certainly, that is how I've seen them used most of the time.  A few times I've seen them used to move a horse from veering, but again, seems like reins, heels and hands would solve that as well, IF THE HORSE HAS BEEN PROPERLY TRAINED.  

Gerh

Jul-30

The vast majority of horses don’t need to be whipped as they know what their job is.I also believe that riding “hands and heels” is more aerodynamic and gives the jock a better chance of winning

In reply toRe: msg 7
RAESFAN

Jul-30

It would also seem to me that it might be a bit distracting if someone is wailing on me as I'm going about doing my job. It probably doesn't do much for balance as the jockey shifts his weight about as he hits me over and over again.