Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Huge Upset At Longchamp!   European Racing

Started Oct-3 by RAESFAN; 768 views.
RAESFAN

Oct-3

71-1!!!! Torquator Tasso came flying at Lomgchamp! I am so happy for his trainer, Marcel Weiss. She has training for a little more than a year!

SameSteve G

Oct-3

Longchamps was rated heavy, a true bog, and the race was just over 9 seconds slow to par.  Taking nothing away from the excellent winner - the going was like the 12th man for this horse.  

I was rooting for Chrono Genesis who looked like she had a chance mid-stretch but faded.

BTW, Rae, Weiss is a he.

RAESFAN

Oct-3

The announcers crossed me up on that one. I saw them interview a woman right after the race who was ecstatic, and I assumed she was the trainer. Maybe she is the owner.

Gerh

Oct-4

Really exciting race even though the ground was so heavy.The wagering menu on this side of the pond was an embarrassment.

SameSteve G

Oct-4

Tasso is owned by Auenquelle Stud.  I saw that woman and I'm pretty sure she is one of the horse's primary handlers.

In reply toRe: msg 4
SameSteve G

Oct-4

I enjoyed the race.  Heck, I always enjoy the Arc.

Trivia:  The last German horse to win the Arc was the 3 year old filly Danedream in 2011 for which she set the race record of 2:24.49 over the "'good" going.

My 3rd rate local online betting site didn't even offer the race.  However, you could bet 2 ants racing across a sidewalk in Brooklyn.  

RAESFAN

Oct-4

German horses seem to like soft going. Is it common for their courses to be soft?

SameSteve G

Oct-4

Here's a link to the courses in Germany and brief descriptions, including in some cases, the going.  I read through it and it doesn't seem that soft to heavy is a continual condition, only after consistent rain.  

It's interesting that they run the venerable German Derby at Hamburg on a course that is only used for 7 days a year.  It sits inside a public park and the rest of the year people and their pets walk all over the course itself.  It sounds neat, actually.

https://irbracing.com/german-racecourse-information/

RAESFAN

Oct-5

Probably they are less inclined than we are, to have races come “off the turf”!

TexSquared

Oct-5

if they take their races off the turf where would they go?  Out on the road? :-)