Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

RIP Medina Spirit   General Discussions

Started Dec-6 by TexSquared; 1078 views.
TexSquared

Dec-6

Shocked to read that this morning. No articles yet but according to tweets (no articles yet) looks like he worked 5f at Santa Anita in 1:01.40 and then collapsed.

EDITED TO ADD:  here's an article https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/255412/medina-spirit-collapses-dies-after-santa-anita-workout

• Edited December 6, 2021 12:53 pm  by  TexSquared
smartyslew

Dec-6

A tragedy, so sad !

Gerh

Dec-6

This is horrible news.

Gerh

Dec-6

The article says that the CHRB will be handling the necropsy.I guess transparency just went out the window.

In reply toRe: msg 4
SameSteve G

Dec-6

Feel very sorry for Medina Spirit.  First for landing in the Baffert barn and then enduring the Baffert method for his tragically short life.

Baffert came with all the flowery words for this sudden death.  Nary a peep of sadness during the run of  7 deaths when he was treating all his horses with L-thyroxine and none of them had a diagnosis.

Gerh

Dec-6

Medina Spirit was a tough horse and very easy to like.The one question I have for the owner

Was it worth it?

In reply toRe: msg 6
smartyslew

Dec-6

If he sticks with Baffert ,he's another sleaze bag, he's been on my fence since the Derby.

Gerh

Dec-6

I kept asking myself

How many positive tests does Gamine have to have before Petersen moves her to a different trainer.
It would be great if the Stronach Group or the FEDs could take charge of the necropsy.If the CHRB control it,we will get little or no information 

In reply toRe: msg 8
smartyslew

Dec-6

The meeting will be at Baffert's Texas Hold Em Poker game

at his home table along side all his TC trophy's .

Gerh

Dec-6

That statement is probably closer to the truth than you think Rob