Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Time to go Zero Tolerance   General Discussions

Started Mar-29 by Wintertrian; 1934 views.
SameSteve G

May-8

According to the prosecution, Giannelli was committing these crimes for 20 years.  Thinking about all the horses who were harmed, however many may have later died due to this kind of abuse, all the bettors who were defrauded, the damage to the sport, the trainers and owners who were victimized if they were running clean - then 5 years seems too short, no?

Or, am I being too harsh?  

Working from memory, didn't Navarro get 5 years and then deportation after he serves the time?  I can't imagine Servis getting more time.

Not to minimize 5 years in prison...I'm sure that is hard to go through.  I can't seem to muster up any sympathy for these people, though.

Thanks for the links, Tex.

TexSquared

May-8

It's hard to prove how many horses died DIRECTLY because of what she was doing. I mean, it's not the same as if she intentionally killed a horse.  (PETA would claim that but I wouldn't).  

I don't think any time is long enough to be a deterrent. It will happen again.  It's a risk-reward thing, just like any other drug dealer.  They're facing time but if they can get away with it they're facing riches.   The old "it's not illegal if you aren't caught" thing. The only real deterrent is catching them early enough that nobody ever get s away with it long enough.

Navarro's 5 years (knowing he'll be deported after, never allowed to return) is probably fair enough.  He is done as a horseman of any kind (trainer, breeder, bloodstock agent, jockey agent etc).

Gerh

May-8

Think Servis and Navarro could become broodmares.

SameSteve G

May-8

Oh, I know.  Next to impossible to prove.  I just think that over the course of 20 years, horses died because they were subject to these illegal substances.  Horses die from the sport even when it's on the square.

You're right, though, the risk/reward calculus will always present the greedy with an excuse to break the rules and enrich themselves.

In reply toRe: msg 8
SameSteve G

May-8

You mean, like the old cliche, don't bend over for the soap in the shower?   

Wintertrian

May-8

Inject them daily, involuntarily, while incarcerated......with more than one injection.......and you would match the scenario their horses were in.    

Many other horses as well all over the land.  

5 years of THAT might be more *fair*.  

In reply toRe: msg 8
Wintertrian

May-8

Gerh said...

Think Servis and Navarro could become broodmares.

ROTFL   100000%

Gerh

May-8

They won’t have a choice

SameSteve G

May-8

Sounds good. I vote "yes".