Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Classic Causeway to Japan? Europe? races   General Discussions

Started Aug-23 by Wintertrian; 338 views.
Wintertrian

Aug-23

I am thriilled that McPeek talked the owners into Classic Causeway running on Turf after his not great KY Derby.  Who knew.

Looks like McPeek is now thinking of sending him to Japan to run in the Kobe Shimbun Hai (G2).  Then maybe Kikka Sho or Japan Cup (both Classic races there).  And some are even mentioning maybe [gasp!] Ascot. 

I had him to win the Belmont Derby Invitational on firm Turf at 1-1/4.  (26-1 / $56+) but then then ran 3rd at 1-3/16th in Saratoga Derby Invitational at way lower odds, about 6-1.   Thinking maybe he did like the tighter turns at Saratoga?  Personally, I think he shouldn't race over 10F, and probably would be best sticking to around 9F.   Also think McPeek has to work on him not going out so fast.   I think he's got plenty more learning to do, and is young enough to do that. 

How cool would it be if Giant's Causeway's son from his final crop  :(   became an international turf champion?

I was also happy to hear McPeek say a good horse can run on anything.  That's what I've been saying for years.   Of course, I have a special penchant for the omni surface horses. 

SameSteve G

Aug-23

Love to see Classic Causeway go the international route as you described.  We need as much exposure to better international racing as we can get.

Instead we got Jamie Ness.  [makes me want to puke]

Wintertrian

Aug-25

SameSteve G said...

We need as much exposure to better international racing as we can get.

You mean like when Johnny V embarassed us in front of the world by over-whipping Kimari at Royal Ascot in 2019 (and still didn't win)?   And he knew the rules. He had been riding there since 2000.   Also has had plenty of time to observe how they use crops there, "windmill style". 

And more recently in June 2022, Irad Ortiz  got a suspension by the Royal Ascot stewards for his (reckless) ride aboard Love Reigns(IRE) in the Queen Mary Stakes, impeding 3 other horses and almost causing one of the other jockeys to almost become unseated? 

His Life is Good perilous antics crossing in front of Happy Saver as a nah-nah-nah-nah-na-na move was tolerated at NYRA.  

Britain would not have put up with that.   

Seems like on the maybe exposure isn't what some of them  need,  since years of U.S. racing hasn't seemed to do much to put these egos or narcissism and lack of regard for others like with Irad in check.   

Somebody said that is it was cordero, borel, garret gomez, or heck Corey Nakatani on the receiving end, irad would have been walking around in sunglasses and a nose bracket for many months afterwards.  

AT any rate, you think those jockeys over-the-pond want to be in the gate next to Irad?

SameSteve G

Aug-25

I get that.  If the US foolishly lets riders get away with stupid and dangerous shit, it's on racing.  The dangerous or brutal rides are  symptom, not the disease.

I was talking about internationalizing the fans' palates for racing.  If the fans have any affinity for the breed itself, then one would guess that watching the Thoroughbred race over distances other than the steady diet of 6 to 9 f. speed racing as in US, racing over interesting courses at a wide range of distances would appeal to them.

Sophisticate their palates away from the steady diet of burgers and fries racing.  The die-hard gamblers won't care but others might enjoy seeing the breed truly express itself, no?

pianot

Aug-25

I suspect yes. It's their home court. I think the point I was getting, if we dont expand/encourage international racing, we are pretty much doomed.