Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

RIP Coroebus   European Racing

Started Sep-5 by TexSquared; 209 views.
TexSquared

Sep-5

2000 Guineas winner had to be euthanized after breaking down in the Prix du Moulin de Longchamp yesterday.   I won't link to the race replay as it was ugly.

RAESFAN

Sep-5

I truly hate when that happens. I can't imagine how his connections must have felt, seeing that!

TexSquared

Sep-5

This replay mercifully starts just after it happened so you never see the fallen horse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTLSY6bhUmg

I watched video which included the fall and it's amazing nobody else was involved (other horses brought down, or jockey trampled by another horse) as it happened in traffic just inside the 400m (1/4 mile) pole.  

RAESFAN

Sep-6

It’s like car crashes. I’ve seen some awful accidents, where no one was seriously hurt. Then you see a fender bender, where there is a fatality. I saw a jockey get catapulted into the middle of a bunch of horses, and got up and walked away.

TexSquared

Sep-6

Especially the Grand National... it's amazing how so many horses can fall (used to be as much as half the field of 40 until they made some of the jumps easier like Becher's and shortened the distance by about 1/16)  and almost every jockey walks away on his own.   Most of the falls happen on the landing side of jumps so the trailing horses don't know what they'll hit (or step on) until they're going over....

As for auto accidents, best example of that is Earnhardt Sr.'s fatality at Daytona.  The crash itself looked much like any other, it didn't look "bad", and you just expected him to climb out on his own.  He didn't.   That's the "fender bender" you're talking about.

• Edited September 6, 2022 5:27 pm  by  TexSquared
RAESFAN

Sep-6

Yep! Dale’s crash wasn’t near as bad as some I’ve seen. I saw one dude’s car disintegrate around him, leaving him in virtually a frame. He was more or less okay!