Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

World's Top Rate Horse last run- Baaeed   European Racing

Started Sep-16 by Wintertrian; 707 views.
Wintertrian

Sep-16

Probably last time you will get to see Baaeed --- will skip the Arc and run in the Ascot and then it's over. 

So mark your calendars:    Qipco Champion Stakes at Ascot on 15 October 

Gerh

Sep-18

Flightline is now ranked higher.
In reply toRe: msg 2
Wintertrian

Sep-21

Gerh said...

Flightline is now ranked higher.

Intersting!  I did not know this.  In 2021 it was Knicks Go on top, Baeed 6th, Flightline 11th.  Now it's Flightline 139, Baaeed 2nd at 135.   Heres the goods.  There may be some small mistakes but nothing major.  Smartyslew can fill in the rest/other cogent points.  I welcome thoughts and comments.  

***Note the time between races for each horse, and the distances for their first 3 races. Yikes.  Really shows the difference between how horses train in other parts of the world compared to here....kinda scary.   What?? 

Baaeed:  sire Sea the Stars, grandsire Cape Cross (miler), damsire Kingmambo.  4 years old. 
Raced in GB and France;  Record 10-10-0-0; inbred 3x4 to Mr. Prospector;  {2f} DP = 5-1-19-5-0 (30) DI= 1.07
Races:   1 mile (maiden), 1 mile, 1 mile; 1600 meters, 1 mile, 1 mile, 1 mile, 1 mile, 1 mile, 10.5F 
***12 days between maiden and 2nd career race;  19 days between 2nd race and 3rd race; 21 days between 3rd race and 4th race.  

Trainer:  Haggas.  Trainer won Epsom Oaks, Epsom Derby.  Won a total of 12 Group 1 stakes in Britain, 3 Group 1's in France, 3 Group 1's  in Ireland, 1 Group 1 in GER, 1 Group 1 in Italy, 2 Group 1's in Australia (including Queen Elizabeth Stakes)  

Flightline:  sire Tapit. grandsire Pulpit, damsire Indian Charlie.  4 years old. 
Raced in the U.S. only;  Record 5-5-0-0; {20-b} DP 4-9-12-1-0 (26) DI=2.71  CD 0.62
Races 6F (maiden), 6F, 7F, 1 mile, 1-1/4 mile 
***104 days between maiden and 2nd career race; 108 days between 2nd race and 3rd race. Approx.108 days/6 months between 3rd race and 4th race.  (I didn't count exactly). 

Trainer: Sadler  won 16 G1 Races (that I counted, may be 1 off; NOT counting G2, G3 or non graded stakes races for the purpose of equal trainer comparisons) but won some of the same races multiple times----- but almost all on racecourses in California, except for 2 in Arkansas and 1 at Churchill (not a BC race); 1 BC G1 win (Churchill); 1 G1 win in Dubai.  Interestingly:  Most every G1, G2 and G3 and non graded stakes races were in the same state of California at same 2 tracks.  

Edit:  only counting "major wins" for both trainers.   Otherwise I'd be here til next month. 

In reply toRe: msg 3
Wintertrian

Sep-21

More notes:  Baaeed is obviously a miler, but Haggas said he thinks he might could go longer

Owners View has 35 rulings/violations against Sadler, but i did not read every one for content or what the violations were for.  For haggas no rulings for this trainer, but he does not race in the US and am unaware of similar foreign databases.  

In reply toRe: msg 4
Wintertrian

Sep-21

Gerh, you may also enjoy this artcle as well:  I love Haggas:  

Haggas, a trainer not known for campaigning early-season juveniles, believes pushing too hard too soon carries huge risks.

"I think you can do irreparable damage by going too early, both mentally and physically," he says.

"Having said that, the most successful trainer of my time is Aidan O'Brien, who does train his two-year-olds. If I trained all his horses, I wouldn't have had anything like the same quantity of two-year-old Group 1 winners.

"For Aidan and Charlie Appleby, delivering stallions is what the job is all about. The reality is I have produced very few stallions and should really have developed a lot more."

Haggas, who greatly regrets the fact that as stud propositions "staying horses and Derby winners are not sexy", adds: "I firmly believe horses benefit from the time you give them. Our recent Ascot handicap winner La Yakel is a good example."

https://www.racingpost.com/news/national-racehorse-week/if-aidan-obrien-had-trained-baaeed-would-he-have-won-the-dewhurst/578429

Gerh

Sep-21

I had read the article about Haggas.I,like you,have a lot of admiration for him as he always puts the horse first.

Gerh

Sep-21

I believe Frankel posted a 140.Baaeed looked very comfortable in the Juddmonte and I have no doubt he will improve in the Champion Stakes if the ground isn’t too soft.Both Flightline and Baaeed should win their next starts but I feel Flightline will have the tougher race

In reply toRe: msg 7
Wintertrian

Sep-22

How can you actually condition a horse and keep them in condition, when they can only race every 3 months or every 6 months?  Like Flightline. 

I've never seen anything like this.

I guess they can do those things out there in California.....nobody else in the racing world can......not here, and not over the pond, not in Asia.  

Gerh

Sep-22

Must be something in the California air :).

I honestly expect something special from Baaeed in the Champion Stakes.In the Juddmonte,they weren’t sure how far he wanted to go but now that question has clearly been answered.If they let him roll you could see a Frankel style performance.

In reply toRe: msg 8
Wintertrian

Oct-11

https://www.racingpost.com/news/baaeed-ends-his-stunning-career-as-british-flat-season-reaches-it-grand-finale/583136

Here's the rundown for the week of what will comprise the last days of the Brit Flat racing at the end for the season.

There's some jumps and hurdles, culminating in the grand finale on Sat, with  Qipco British Champions day at Ascot  featuring 4 Group 1 races.  

The Qipco Champion Stakes w/Baaeed looks to be quite an exciting contest, with Adayar and My Properso, along with others.