Horse-Races.Net HRN's Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)|Horse-Races.Net

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping. Hosted by HRN: Horse-Races.Net

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Justify's Santa Anita Derby Win Vacated   HRN Horse-Races.Net General Discussions

Started Dec-1 by SameSteve G; 592 views.
TexSquared

Dec-2

That's explained at the end of the article, and it's not in legalese.  The writer did a good job explaining it in plain English. But I'll paraphrase further for the good of our group:  

Long story short, at the time of the Derby, because the CHRB did NOT disqualify him from the Santa Anita Derby, Justify qualified to run, so his run was legit, at the time,  and can't be retroactively changed (i.e. he can't be "deleted" from the Derby, Preakness, and Belmont the way, say, Lance Armstrong was deleted from the Tour de France, and have to return prize money and trophies).  

I'm not saying I agree with the above, but this also should mean that in future, if a horse tests positive he should be DQ'ed right away to avoid this very scenario. Had HISA been around in those days, Justify wouldn't make the Derby and we'd have no TC winner that year.   But at the time, you could hold up the DQ in appeals, lawsuits, etc, and get what you really wanted all along, a spot in the Derby, if you could tie it up in the courts through Derby day.

This was yet another case of a state racing commission opting not to "rock the boat", which got us into this whole mess in the first place.  Assuming HISA does to Baffert what it did to the Pimentals (ha ha) he won't get away with it again.  In 2025...

• Edited December 2, 2023 3:02 am  by  TexSquared
SameSteve G

Dec-2

TexSquared said:

if a horse tests positive he should be DQ'ed right away to avoid this very scenario. Had HISA been around in those days, Justify wouldn't make the Derby and we'd have no TC winner that year

That is the crux of the matter and a big deal, IMO.  Justify's TC was already tainted in my mind because of the way in which the Belmont was run.   

TexSquared

Dec-2

In a way it's good that CD suspended him for another year.  This gives HISA more time to get settled in at all the prep race tracks so that once his suspension is lifted we won't have a repeat of the Justify situation.  And I agree, his TC deserves an asterisk.

Msg 2639.5 deleted
TexSquared

Dec-2

The TL;DR of what you said is, you can use lawyers to fight any suspension or disqualification. 

Hopefully HISA puts an end to that.  Under HISA, Justify doesn't run in the Derby. 

• Edited December 2, 2023 2:22 pm  by  TexSquared
SameSteve G

Dec-2

Thanks for clearing that up for me, Dogs.  O to the who?  T to the what?   I get it.  Just having some fun. 

Msg 2639.8 and the next 1 deleted
TexSquared

Dec-2

The owner and trainer don't care if they have to give back their SA Derby purse money and trophies.  They got what they really wanted, the Triple Crown.

I get what you mean by it not being a suspension case, as Bob wasn't suspended immediately.  That's what HISA is going to fix.

Under HISA, once the split sample verifies the first sample,  horse is DQ'ed from the SA Derby and trainer is suspended, immediately.  No prize money. No Derby points. No Derby.  And no delaying through the courts.   As it should have been. 

If there was a case (among the many) which showed why HISA was needed because of states not doing their jobs, this was it.  

• Edited December 2, 2023 5:01 pm  by  TexSquared