Horse-Races.Net HRN's Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)|Horse-Races.Net

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping. Hosted by HRN: Horse-Races.Net

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Sha Tin December 10, 2023   Australian and Asian Racing

Started Dec-5 by SameSteve G; 797 views.
SameSteve G

Dec-5

Here's a link to the HKJC site.  If you would like to view the entrants for the 4 big races go to the drop down menu, select Racing Info and choose a race.  

https://campaigns.hkjc.com/racing-event-hub-hkir/en/hkcup-racing-info?b_cid=CSLDSPA_2324RACEH_HKIR_IA_Race

These are fabulous fields of runners with an international flavor.  I do believe, however, that everyone will be rooting for the now 8 year old super fast, super horse, Golden Sixty to go out on a winning note in The Hong Kong Mile.

The Vase looks interesting, as well, with Shahryar and Geraldina from Japan in with big shots to hit the wire first.

TexSquared

Dec-5

And for the first time in several years we will have our own photographer there as Steve Queen arrived there earlier today to cover both the International Jockeys Championship and the International Races.

SameSteve G

Dec-7

Thanks, Tex.  Interesting development in the Vase.  Shahryar is withdrawn due to a supposed irregular heartbeat.  His trainer appealed and lost. So he is out.

I just heard from a friend, though, that he will be running in The Arima Kinen [Gr1] on Dec. 24 at Nakayama.  Apparently, his connections consider this a winnable race now that Equinox is retired and Liberty Island is on break.

I have no doubt the HK vets were erring way, way on the side of caution because if there was something wrong with Shahryar's heart he would not be headed to The Arima Kinen later this month.

TexSquared

Dec-7

The HKJC never said what it was, they just released the following statement with no details. So I had no idea.  He had a 1/2 mile "blow out" (final quarter in 23.9 seconds) on the turf and I guess the vets didn't like something when he came back to the barn?  Or these vets are so "on the ball" they check every horse with a stethoscope as they come off the track...  either way, this is how the sport is run these days and if it can prevent a fatality, no argument from me.   As the HK vets would have reported it, I'm sure the JRA vets will look into this further before allowing him to run at Nakayama. 

The Department of Veterinary Regulation, Welfare & Biosecurity Policy have advised that SHAHRYAR has been identified to have a potential health issue and therefore has been withdrawn prior to declarations from the LONGINES Hong Kong Vase (Group 1) to be conducted at Sha Tin this Sunday 10 December 2023.

In reply toRe: msg 5
Pedigreestar

Dec-8

Sha Tin Races

1) Warm Heart Should Win Senor Toba Place

2) Highfields Princess, Wellington, Lucky with You any of three can win very competitive race

3)  Golden Sixty Can win at such an age Beauty Eternal or Voyage Bubble can place

4) Romantic worrier or Nimble Nimbus can upset

Ravi Gowande

Pedigreestar

SameSteve G

Dec-8

The iregular heartbeat wasn't widely mentioned.  I picked it up on netkeiba news.  Shahryar's trainer said that the result of the EKG would have passed in Japan but the rules are "different" in Hong Kong.  I presume they might even be "stricter" than Japan, which is already quite strict.

Better safe than sorry, as you point out. The HKJC doesn't want to mar the big event in any way.

TexSquared

Dec-8

I didn't know they EKG every horse too... maybe HISA does that as well (or just big events like Breeders' Cup), the way they also do out of competition testing for nominated horses?  I wouldn't know.  

SameSteve G

Dec-8

I didn't have a lot of time but I did attempt to find out if HISA had administered EKGs on big days but the information is not out there.  It may be buried somewhere but I don't want to start digging trenches for such a small data point.

I kind of doubt it, anyway, because if they had that degree of preventive stuff going on I'm pretty sure they would be singing about it.

Msg 2642.10 deleted