Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Juvenile Turf Double   Breeders' Cup

Started Oct-12 by RAESFAN; 1173 views.
RAESFAN

Oct-25

Catholic Boy is pre-entered!

sphenis

Oct-25

That's good news. 27 horses pre-entered in this race!

I think if he gets a decent post he has legit shot. I also think Brown's horse is interesting. The Euro's though will be tough in this one. They may have the top 6 betting choices in a race they historically do well in.

TexSquared

Oct-25

When I saw that many AE's I was thinking, geez, they could run that race in divisions :-)

RAESFAN

Oct-26

I don't think a lot of the experts give Catholic Boy a real chance, probably because of the Euros, which I can understand. However, he was not even mentioned in the DRF's early assessment of the race, although Summer Stakes winner, Untamed Domain, and Pilgrim Stakes winner, Seabhac, were. The latter surprisingly was not pre-entered. CB defeated both of those horses in the With Anticipation, so for them to come back and win in stakes company, significantly flatters him in my opinion. Maybe he is being somewhat ignored because he isn't trained by a big name trainer. Johnathan Thomas is not Chad Brown, but this colt by More Than Ready, out of a Bernardini mare has some serious talent. Since he likes to run from mid-pack, I hope he can work out a good trip!

sphenis

Oct-31

CB got a good post (4). With US Navy Flag and Nelson out of the race, I really don't see anyone else who is superior on paper.

RAESFAN

Nov-3

I have not gotten power restored down here yet, so I'll be looking for someplace to watch the races.

In reply toRe: msg 9
RAESFAN

Nov-6

Finally have a chance to post. Did no betting but gave out some winners to friends with my two MTR winners! Rushing Fall was most workmanlike. She is a pro! However, I'm most proud of Roy H! He was devastating! Imperial Hint is a determined little horse, but Roy wore him down. I love to see Peter Miller's unbridled enthusiasm. I couldn't help being happy for him. More Than Ready has now sired a winner of five BC winners in four different races; two dirt and two turf.

Overall, I enjoyed the show. Biggest disappointment: How Unique Bella was ridden. Greatest impression: Gun Runner's tour de force! "The king is dead, long live the king!"

EDIT: I forgot to mention, although Catholic Boy didn't win, I was still proud of his performance. He tried hard, and with a bit of luck earlier in the race when he was trying to improve his position, he could have hit the board. I'd like to see him get a chance on the dirt next year. He seems to work really aggressively over it. 

• Edited November 6, 2017 9:56 am  by  RAESFAN

The best thing for me is that there were no apparent injuries or fatalities to any of the participants.  Whew!  I hold my breath each race.

RAESFAN

Nov-6

That's for sure! With those big fields of talented, aggressive animals and riders, there was a lot of jostling going on, but it seemed to be an especially injury free BC. Certainly grateful for that.

Gerh

Nov-6

I read that Lady Eli got cut up pretty bad and has been withdrawn from the November sale.I think Avenge suffered some lacerations as well