Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Remsen   Triple Crown

Started Nov-29 by princeofdoc; 381 views.
princeofdoc

Nov-29

Early entries are out....Avery Island should go off big favorite, looks good here.  I personally like Catholic Boy, let's see what he does on dirt.  And Alkhaatam is my longshot.

And what's Todd doing with Biblical?!?  What's the hurry?  He breaks his maiden only 2 weeks ago, and is now entered in a 9f stakes?

RAESFAN

Nov-30

Well it's no secret who my pick will be. I think this is a good spot for the altar boy(I was one back in the day, though not Catholic). This field is not overwhelming, unless there's a unknown beast in the field waiting to be unveiled. I think he actually improved in the BC Juvy Turf, even though he was 4th. I'm hoping he's one of those More Than Readys that enjoys the dirt. If he takes to that surface, he will be very tough!

princeofdoc

Nov-30

Yes, I'm with you on this one, Raes!  I re-watched the Juvy Turf and liked his effort very much.  This is a very weak field, with the exception of Avery, who may be a monster (according to Dogs).  I do think Alkhaatam may be very good too, but CB is already proven against stakes horses.  I bet him in Vegas at the very generous price of 150-1 too.

RAESFAN

Dec-1

Catholic Boy is not particularly fast, so the mile of the BC Juvy Turf was not going to be his best game. He didn't have the cleanest of trips, even though he was saving ground, as he lost position at one point and had to be used to regain it. As a result he was outkicked by some quicker horses. I think in a 9f race, it will be harder to outkick him, if he takes to the surface. This might be the only chance he gets to be on the Derby Trail, so I hope he runs well. Nothing wrong with being a turf horse, but I still have hopes for More Than Ready to produce a Classic winner on dirt in the USA.

TexSquared

Dec-2

Good call there on Catholic Boy!

princeofdoc

Dec-2

Thanks!  I had the tri too.....but the best part is that I got down on Catholic Boy to win the Derby at 150-1 just before the race!  Many thanks to Raes for earlier bringing my attention to him...

sphenis

Dec-2

Raes,

He ran a real nice race. Franco rode him well.

Will be interesting to see his beyer speed fig.  He ran a second faster than the fillies a race earlier but Sharp Azteca ran a quick mile (1:35+) a race later.

DogsUp

Dec-3

Prince & Ray the C Boy got there 1st. Congrats.

Perhaps the colder weather, wind, adjusted surface provided what is  a slow par time for this race. In the 52s. If not, this crowd will not be in a special barn come 1 st Sat in May. Temperature was about 5 degrees colder than normal.

...To All ~ On the other hand/hoof , (d)  Derby Delta horse is "now Subterfuged already" that is as the comparative figure. My comment above says that these dudes run on fast dirt with same ability..mucho disapoito. And the Delta runner could aqueous/ morph to another as in not falling into All or Nothing scenario or staying on a runner as it takes one out too deep in the lake.

Ergo that is part of the dangerousness of the come  Delta Derby Day; the likes of Looking at Lee 2016. Remember; Avie only remains the Delta for calculations up and down the ladder and in this case there is a potential runner that has already beat him or some who displayed faster in other races run.  Same/same with Looking At Lee 2016.

More About Delta preparations:: it is better to not start with say the highest point leader(s)(and given the Derby fav has won last five years) rather; now start with one's example Catholic Boy etc. to then be able to better toss and keep horses for Derby Tri or that leg in horizontal bet.

Especially as in more recent past, the Derby fav or near fav was scratched out of race in less than day before event~o.

2014 Hoppertunity  (d) with this scratch stuck in ticket 2nd place Commanding Curve in Chrome's Dby

2011 Uncle No

2010 Eskendereya 

2009 I Want Revenge 

(d)

• Edited December 3, 2017 1:21 am  by  DogsUp
In reply toRe: msg 8
princeofdoc

Dec-3

Don't forget about the scratch of Quality Road....

DogsUp

Dec-3

Chuckling and smiling now unlike those who were needers and backers of QUALITY ROAD scratched at the gate after kicking and cutting himself in stall. In BC Classic. No less as the first to do that 2009.