Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Giacomo On The Mend   Off Topic

Started Dec-1 by SameSteve G; 311 views.
SameSteve G

Dec-1

Hi all & belated best wishes for holidays past & best wishes for holidays of the future.  I confess to being preoccupied for the last several weeks.  

My cat & dear friend, Giacomo (the handicapping feline), was diagnosed on November 7th with bone cancer situated in his upper right foreleg after I found him in the back room crying.  Apparently, the cancer had weakened the bone & when he jumped, the bone broke.  Cats have evolved to hide their pain so to hear him crying.  Not only heartbreaking but very scary.  Right to the vet.  All tests indicated that it had not metastasized & we decided, since he was otherwise very healthy & relatively young (around 6 years) that he would become a 3-legged cat.  So, he had major surgery on 11/14.  My vet, a true maven at the art & science of animal surgery, was amazed that 10 minutes after coming around from the anesthesia, G was standing up.  Incredible creatures!

He's been recovering at home & yesterday he had the stitches removed.  Plus, the hated elizabethan collar is off, as well.   He celebrated by jumping up on the kitchen counter & taking a seat in the kitchen sink - one of his favorite spots to supervise from as I prepare his food.  :)

Personally, I'm grateful every day but having Giacomo doing so well has given me an extra high tide of gratitude this season, my friends.    :)

Plus2lbs

Dec-1

All's well that ends well.

Seasons Greetings.

honneerider

Dec-1

Thanks for sharing your good news! Giacomo is a stayer!

SameSteve G

Dec-2

Same to you, Plus.

SameSteve G

Dec-2

I'm hopeful for him.  I was encouraged by folks far more experienced than I am with such things that cats can have a very good quality of life missing a limb.  That was my main concern - his welfare going forward.  

A feline Yeats.  :)

honneerider

Dec-2

Thank goodness he has 9 lives. Btw so many friends of mine 3 legged canines from same affliction. All just function normally. 

RAESFAN

Dec-2

Although I'm more of a dog guy, I have always acknowledged that cats are the greatest athletes of the animal world. It was probably a very annoying to the cat, but when I was little, I would amaze my friends by holding our cat virtually inches off the ground upside down, then let him fall. He would flip and land on his feet every time. I know...I was not a nice kid! The point is, I'm not surprised to see him bounce back so quickly, adapting to such a major physical and psychological change. Cats are generally more independent than dogs. They are stronger mentally, and in my opinion are uniquely well equipped to handle such situations.

SameSteve G

Dec-2

I've had cats & dogs all my life but I've never had any go through such a process until now.  I have been fascinated to observe how flawlessly Giacomo has compensated & adapted.  He's being very careful.  Of course, he's an indoor cat so there are no threats or dangers. 

He should be 100% in time for the '18 prep races for the KD.   He has a knack for picking live show horses.  ;)

Gerh

Dec-3

Great to hear everything worked out well for Giacomo.Tell him Danzig (my Shetland sheepdog)sends his regards :)

In reply toRe: msg 9
SameSteve G

Dec-3

Thanks, my friend & keep Danzig away from the Christmas pudding, eh.