Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Fountain Of Youth   Triple Crown

Started Feb-27 by Plus2lbs; 1209 views.
smartyslew

Feb-27

I don't think i saw a mirage with G, H. closing splits, Meaning I don't think the field was backing up

to him. The closing splits chart will tell the story. Looked impressive.

In reply toRe: msg 7
smartyslew

Feb-27

I think G. H. ran the last 1/16 in 5.57 thats a WOW.

Last 5/16 in 30.90.

SameSteve G

Feb-27

Ortiz followed Papetu on auto-pilot but then he realized he had to work on Greatest Honor to wake him up into his best stride with some Ramon Dominguez style very purposeful whip strikes.  

GH was really picking them up & laying them down late as his final 1/16th split proves.  I think he even surprised Jose a bit.  :)

Shug has himself a really  good one here.

smartyslew

Feb-27

I'll have to check my numbers when i have a chance.

I think I have ran into a couple gaggles of People that really like G H from the get go

before his last 3 races and it has to be his Dam line that got there attention.

Many g1 winners on both sides of the pond from that family's Dam family. 

Gerh

Feb-28

Drain the Clock controlled the pace well and didn’t back up in the stretch.GH just looked like he exploded and ended up winning easily.I saw that the BSF was 83 ( which I thought was on the low side).Would not surprise me if the 2 favs for the derby will be Tapit colts.His stud price might take another hike.

In reply toRe: msg 11
SameSteve G

Feb-28

Drain The Clock was not a surprise, stretching out in an ideal scenario to attempt it.  I think the perpetual inside speed bias of the Gulf main track helped him carry his speed.  I hope that Saffie doesn't get too brave with him & ask for more distance just because he ran 2nd here.  He's a nice horse who is suited to shorter contests, IMO.  

Personally, I wouldn't put any stock in the BSF beyond its limited scope.  It does not describe the race dynamics or trips whatsoever.  It was a slowish race with slowish fractions.  1:11 is not motoring at Gulf.

Shug states the obvious when he says Greatest Honor wants more ground.

If both GH & EQ prevail in their next, I believe you are correct about KD favs.

Gerh

Feb-28

There are plenty of races at 6-8f that would suit Drain the Clock.If he is entered in the Florida Derby,there is no guarantee that he gets an inside draw again.Not sure it is worth the risk.

I think Gulfstream has been playing a little slow.The track seems to be more tiring.It will be interesting to see how the other figure makers grade the race

In reply toRe: msg 13
Plus2lbs

Feb-28

Few races strangely run..fo sho..

• Edited February 28, 2021 2:19 pm  by  Plus2lbs
In reply toRe: msg 13
smartyslew

Feb-28

Equibase 101, Holy Bull 103, Foy about a second slower than H B.

Steve gave a good description of the ride where the Jock woke him up

after the real slow start and that's a good learning lesson. real slow early

and real fast late nobody grades the same, with the slow final time.

Essential Quality got a great ride when the jock waited and moved him off the rail

just maybe he knows the horse and they are savvy together. Equibase awarded a 105

speed number.

DogsUp

Feb-28

I cautiously give great fillies and mares on their return off a layoff having been outstanding prior a pass.

Exception if their works are outstanding and they bullet etc, Yada yada. Or they are eligible for an extremely comfortable lower purse conditions race.  Say..

Trainer/ owner take a purse in a 1st time out and why not get paid to get a start-up and not have to press the horse to feel competition of a field.

This is usually a 7fl distance.

What happens is the Low odds and the competition suck and sterling record the bettor into the get engine.

As the song goes,Sinatra singing..

"She won't dish  the dirt ..with the rest of the girls."  Having stayed in the barn, munching sweetened oats and having her hooves manicured.