Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Irad Ortiz punches Paco Lopez   General Discussions

Started Mar-1 by TexSquared; 1165 views.
smartyslew

Mar-3

That was the race and as I remember Stevens telling it Nakatani was trying to find out

who the #@** that jockey was from the inside that came out and it was later in the race.

for years I heard Nakatani was like the Sargant of Arms and I'm not sure how or what  to read into that.

SameSteve G

Mar-3

The riders self-police behind closed doors.  I would say that is quite common & probably necessary where cooler heads prevail.  

smartyslew

Mar-3

Gary Stevens Brother Scott retired after a bad spill from another Jock's reckless ride.

Gary says keep it in the Room, Like you said self police.

"  My brother Scott’s career ended last week. It was caused by a simple mistake that was not intentional. He had an unbelievable career and he is my hero. There is no room out on track for callous riding. Dangerous enough for horse and rider. Game of inches. Keep it in the room! "

SameSteve G

Mar-3

High admiration & respect for both Gary & Scott Stevens.   In fact, there is a very long list of riders I have admired over the decades.  The skills, mental sharpness & overall athleticism, as well as sensitivity to their horses that some display is stunning.

Gary's words are spot on the money, as well.  The job is dangerous enough when everything goes down smoothly.  Reckless riding has no place on the race track.

princeofdoc

Mar-4

I do think that one should use this knowledge of jockeys' animosities, as well as inclination toward reckless riding, in one's handicapping of the Derby, as those aspects may come into play in a 20 horse field

DogsUp

Mar-4

This is the only occupation that an ambulance follows one around while one performs a most dangerous of jobs.

The jockey guild colony leader is the lead peace maker when facilitation is necessary behind closed jockeys room doors.

There is such an unwritten thing where a colony can tacitly invoke a lack of confidence to ride in races with a dangerous jock.  Kiss of death. No one will give him/her mounts.

I was at the Meadowlands one night and following the race on an icy sloppy track  where a guy jock had got into Julie Krone's grill lacking caution for the surface.

She went over to the offender and let him have it. 

• Edited March 4, 2021 2:58 pm  by  DogsUp
smartyslew

Mar-5

Yes that is in my tool box and the draw for post positions is important for me especially in a

20 horse field. You have to also recognize when a Young Jock with the prospects of being very good

matures and learns to get rid of bad habits. Some of them when young didn't recognize fear or have fear

made some mistakes learned what fear is. Its like many young men that didn't have fear thought they would give boxing a try. some of those when they got hit hard in the nose, decided it wasn't for them.
Irad was a top prospect when a apprentice and made a lot of bad rides that some trainers would not put him on a horse then . he needed to mature and learn from his mistakes and today they use him.

Saying that once in awhile he still makes that mistake like that ride in that race.

So i have that noted.