Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Irad Ortiz punches Paco Lopez   General Discussions

Started Mar-1 by TexSquared; 1040 views.
Msg 1624.9 and the next 1 deleted
Gerh

Mar-2

Might be worth keeping an eye on Irad’s mount in the derby.After watching that,I don’t think too many jocks will want to cut him off

In reply toRe: msg 11
SameSteve G

Mar-2

Now the other riders know Irad isn't above using a sucker punch right after he says 'hello".

Plus, Irad has been known to cross the line between aggressive riding & reckless riding more than most.  What comes around tends to go round.  Paco has a rep, too.

It's like anything else.  If you don't punish reckless riding, it continues to occur.

As far as laying into someone while they are sitting down.  $10,000 & do not pass go for 14 days on the bench.  Irad may think twice before clipping someone again.

ChiefsCrown

Mar-2

Remember that BC "throwdown" well. Borel to me never was the same after that brawl.

smartyslew

Mar-2

Remember Irad's first Derby. He had 3 or 4 Jocks looking for him for real bad aggressive &reckless riding

Maybe he forgot that day. I think they tried to punish him by committee, never heard if they did.

SameSteve G

Mar-3

Unsurprisingly, my mid-range memory isn't what it used to be.  I had to look it up.  Irad had a ride in 2014 which I should have remembered since I love Chrome & that was his year.  I was in Italy during the race that year, though.  Might have messed me up.

I went to the replay & Irad up on Uncle Sigh breaking cleanly from post #3 decided to take a premature, rather direct move to the rail mere seconds into the race where he cut off the two to his inside, forcing both Rosie N. & Corey Lanerie to abruptly take up, losing momentum & every chance.  I didn't watch the replay to the end.

You mean that ride?   Very reckless.  Sheer luck as there could have been a brutal chain reaction.  Irad looked back after he cut them off, probably because they shouted something not so friendly.

smartyslew

Mar-3

That was the race and as I remember Stevens telling it Nakatani was trying to find out

who the #@** that jockey was from the inside that came out and it was later in the race.

for years I heard Nakatani was like the Sargant of Arms and I'm not sure how or what  to read into that.

SameSteve G

Mar-3

The riders self-police behind closed doors.  I would say that is quite common & probably necessary where cooler heads prevail.  

smartyslew

Mar-3

Gary Stevens Brother Scott retired after a bad spill from another Jock's reckless ride.

Gary says keep it in the Room, Like you said self police.

"  My brother Scott’s career ended last week. It was caused by a simple mistake that was not intentional. He had an unbelievable career and he is my hero. There is no room out on track for callous riding. Dangerous enough for horse and rider. Game of inches. Keep it in the room! "