Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

March Derby Top 20   Triple Crown

Started Mar-2 by princeofdoc; 1179 views.
Northof64

Mar-3

Agree 20-1 is way too low. Surprises me 

Wintertrian

Mar-3

princeofdoc said...

Still think Romabauer, The Great One, and Get Her Number have a little chance, but didn't crack the top 20

I still like Rombauer.  Problem with the preps is that we often do not uncover the true long distance routers, because the prep races are too short. 

Then you have the ones who were mismanaged, like Solemini.  That one could have been great, IMHO.

DogsUp

Mar-3

A . Essential Quality

B. Collaborate / Hotrod Charlie/The Great One (by Doug's Derby winner Nyquist + named after Wayne Gretsky

C. ALL

A/C/B

B/A/C

C/A/B

Attention to those who won their last race and weight carried

ChiefsCrown

Mar-4

I like your top 9. Not a fan of Baffert's Medina Spirit, do like Concert Tour though.

Collaborate gets in the top 2 of the Fla. Derby i can see him cracking the top 10.

Would love to see Known Agenda make the Derby field.

princeofdoc

Mar-5

Agree....warmed up to Known Agenda after re-watching the Sam Davis, ran on impressively, and liked Todd's decision to enter in an Alw at 9f, won impressively.

RAESFAN

Mar-5

Crowded Trade jumping in the deep end against the likes of Freedom Fighter and Highly Motivated. I hope he’s up to it, and at least runs well enough to take the next step in the Trail.

RAESFAN

Mar-17

1) Essential Quality - You have to beat the champ to be the champ.
2) Life Is Good - Looks like the most talented runner in a deep crop.
3) Concert Tour - Impressive demolition of Caddo River in the Rebel
4) Greatest Honour - Best closer after EQ.
5) Medina Spirit - A cut below LIG, but then who isn't?
6) Prevalence - Could be as good as any. I need to see him against better.
7) Crowded Trade - Had to resist the urge to place him higher. Can't wait for the Wood to see what direction he goes!
8) Mandaloun -These next three have to separate themselves. I don't know how to rate them relative to each other.
9) Proxy
10) Midnight Bourbon
11) Weyburn - Still burning over the Gotham. I thought Crowded Trade would run by him. 
12) Hot Rod Charlie - BC Juvy is still in my head.
13) Helium - Stock rose sharply in TB.
14) Highly Motivated - Had an excuse in the Gotham...I guess.
15) Risk Taker - Let's see what he does in the Wood, which is shaping up tough if Prevalence shows up there.
16) Roman Centurian - Has talent, but I don't believe he can handle the top tier.
17) Hidden Stash - Ran a good race against Helium, but the race itself wasn't that fast.
18) Senor Buscador - He has to redeem himself in my eyes.
19) Spielberg - A bit of an underachiever. I keep expecting a bit more.
20) Collaborate -  Impressive race in last. Let's see what he does in stakes company.
20b.) Excellent Timing - Damon Runyon was slow, but he wasn't asked.
20c.) Nicky the Vest - Looks to be ready to jump into deeper waters. Let's see how he does.
  • Edited March 17, 2021 12:40 pm  by  RAESFAN
princeofdoc

Mar-18

Love your comments, Raes!  I agree wholeheartedly with the top 3, and they seem a cut ahead of the crop....

Gerh

Mar-20

According to DRF, Life is Good will miss the Santa Anita derby after picking up an injury during a workout.Elliot Walden thinks he could be out for a few months

In reply toRe: msg 15
smartyslew

Mar-20

Vintage Baffert its sad every year first teamers like Nadal last year, Some years his deep bench

gives up 2 or 3 weeks before the Derby.