Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Rebel Stakes March 13 Oaklawn Park   Triple Crown

Started Mar-11 by Wintertrian; 2869 views.
In reply toRe: msg 3
TexSquared

Mar-13

How many times did Rated R Superstar get whipped in the stretch in the Essex Stakes on the Rebel undercard?  I counted about 30...

I thought Espinoza's ride on Kafwain in the Louisiana Derby years ago was bad (20 hits?) This was much worse.

smartyslew

Mar-13

I wanted to smack him. he has very fast hands and i could think of a sport he should try.

30 might be light I don't know, gruesome.

$10,000 fine , oh wrong country.

princeofdoc

Mar-13

Looks like the track is playing fast, no need for mud handicapping......I like Keepmeinmind and Get Her Number, but I truly think any horse in this race has a chance.  Concert Tour can take his speed wire to wire, but I have a feeling he'll stay just off the pace, and Caddo may contest Get Her Number for the lead.  I expect a fast pace, and it just may last.  My longshot will be Big Lake, especially for the exotics.

I don't have the same certainty as you, Winter, regarding who might make noise in the Derby.  I think the winner here could certainly contend.  I have no idea how good Baffert's colt(s) are, but Concert Tour may be quite good.  His other horse seems like the weakest in the field, but he's here, so BB must have some sense he could be part of the race.

Very intriguing, the most contentious prep to date, a great prelude to the Ark Derby.....

In reply toRe: msg 6
princeofdoc

Mar-13

Interesting to note that Miller's Get Her Number outworked last race's winner, CZ, head to head on 3/2.....I think he's an overlay to consider in the Rebel.

TexSquared

Mar-13

What Mike Smith did in Saudi Arabia last year was nothing compared to what this guy did today.  

princeofdoc

Mar-13

What kind of a ride did Geroux bring to Caddo?  A monster hold down the backstretch, just let the colt run!  And then in the stretch, came out badly against Big Lake, knocked him and subsequently Get Her Number off stride, just as they were both getting going.....terrible ride.

Big Lake was most impressive, showed grit after the foul.....ran on, almost grabbed 2nd.  He may have a future in the Ark Derby

DogsUp

Mar-13

Joel looked like a show-up hit man jockey, collect $60K for the smooth ride; racing against bug boys looking for their maiden win.

In reply toRe: msg 10
Wintertrian

Mar-13

If you followed smartyslew's post about weights, you had the superfecta and trifecta, all the low weights on a ticket was the winner and paid well despite the chalk winning. 

Best race of the day was watching Carlos L. at 12F take them gate to wire, longest shot on the board, and he broke as track record doing it.  I can watch that race forever.  I wish we had more 12F races in the U.S.   Bet he will sleep  well tonight. 

TERRIBLE ride on Caddo River.  OP plays to speed at this distance, it was not the time to try to "teach" the horse to rate.  And he restrained the horse more than one time.......it was painful to watch.  PAINFUL.  

As was Vazquez beating on Rated R Superstar, who is a horse I really like. 

WHen they announced Whitmore was running in bar shoes on BOTH feet, I figured he was beatable.   He's 7 years old now, trainer has done a great job keeping him together, but maybe it's time.........the amount of joy that horse has given to me since he ran in the KY Derby way back in 2016 where he came in 2nd to last is unmeasurable.  Clearly one of the best "oaklawn horses" ever.  But he's run a lot of races, and most of them stakes:

39 15 12 3
Wintertrian

Mar-13

TexSquared said...

What Mike Smith did in Saudi Arabia last year was nothing compared to what this guy did today.  

what was the horse, I forgot.

We need stiff fines for this behavior. 

Wintertrian

Mar-13

Agree about Big Lake..  I almost played him first.......