Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Fla Derby   Triple Crown

Started Mar-21 by Plus2lbs; 3523 views.
Wintertrian

Mar-29

princeofdoc said...

To be honest, I never really understood the comment "doesn't have to win" in the Derby preps.....sure, he'll still qualify if he doesn't win, but why would he not run his best?  

Well if you believe that a horse is entered in every race  for a win (esp. if they don't need one) then you have not examined all the intents of the trainer. 

In this case it is very possible that the trainer may have wanted his horse to eat some dirt and that lesson was more important for his future at Chuchill than a win in the FL Derby.   

Sometimes horses are entered in races for tighteners, sometimes for education, etc.    This is why trainer intent always has to be considered when capping a race.  

Meanwhile. I thought this was a good prep race.  I think Soup and Sandwich is no slouch and I had picked Known Agenda to win because of his stamina breeding.......   So I am thrilled to see them make the gate.    

DogsUp

Mar-29

The JR top 2 placers, add weight, distance/a Derby furlong + Dirt surface don't seem to be high contenders.

More importantly we saw 3 top contenders in the Flow Derby not get the 9 fl. Doubt they can get 10fl come what 'May. 

And those winner/finishers in Flow Derby may be sitting on a bounce 'backwards come May 1. Especially Soup + Sandwich..to go. The race was not exactly full of high credentials/PP and jocks made the difference IMO.

Don't think Spielberg (this race + prior an also ran) or G-Honor (running style established) Collaborate (running against better colts) got anything out of the race except that these colts get off the board at a mile and a furlong. Or at least the Rose win.

Snow here. But we have had T shirt shorts weather already. 

• Edited March 29, 2021 1:07 pm  by  DogsUp
princeofdoc

Mar-29

You're right, absolutely......most conspiracy theories are certainly "over my head".   As much as I like your posts over the years, it is clear that you have "no stomach" for anyone that disagrees with you.  I personally like a forum with complexity and a diversity of ideas.....and without even a hint of bullying. 

I appreciate your passion for the sport, and your lambasting of those you feel are responsible for destroying thoroughbred racing is a welcome addition to the conversation.  But it can't be one way, Winter's way or the highway.....we can respectably have a different perspective without it being over our heads.

ChiefsCrown

Mar-29

Here near Niagara Falls, tomorrow...69 degrees. Today, 38 degrees, nice huh?

I don't expect GH to do anything in the derby, too slow of foot. I do like Known Agenda to hit the board depending on post postion draw. 

Casting an eye on two La. Derby runners for the derby, Hot Rod and Bourbon.

Who do you like in the Wood and Bluegrass?

DogsUp

Mar-30

BLUE GRASS: Hard to make a case for any other colt than Goldophin's undefeated BC juvey acer Essential Quality. Could go off 1/2 or less. That's $700 return for stimulus check #3.

WOOD: Surface conditions always seem slow in this points loaded fur-longer. Gonna watch some results for surface conditions yielding times prior. 

Again, Goldolphin has one in here. And Todd P has won lots in this one with Johnny Vee. And riding for Repole 

• Edited March 30, 2021 1:48 am  by  DogsUp
Wintertrian

Apr-7

princeofdoc said...

As much as I like your posts over the years, it is clear that you have "no stomach" for anyone that disagrees with you.  I personally like a forum with complexity and a diversity of ideas.....and without even a hint of bullying. 

I appreciate your passion for the sport, and your lambasting of those you feel are responsible for destroying thoroughbred racing is a welcome addition to the conversation.  But it can't be one way, Winter's way or the highway.....we can respectably have a different perspective without it being over our heads.

Wow.  I guess you told ME.   LOL  

Basically, it sounds like my disagreeing with you means that "I" have no stomach for disagreement?  So I shouldn't disagree with you?  

I"ve been disagreed with at least 1,000 times since I've been on this forum.  Opinions are welcomed.......but so is rebuttal of those opinions. 

I'm bullyin you?   Pshaw!  Being opinionated is distinctly different from being a bully, by the way.   

And 3/4 of the horse players on the planet do not approve of how Baffert has been allowed to keep escaping punishment w/nary a handslap.   If you like him and/or think he's good for racing, I will just disagree with ya.     Ditto for many other of the CA cheaters.   Its sure not going to stop me from posting about it.   (If I remember correctly, I put out the same type of rant on Jason Servis.........and months later, we all know what happened with him.)  And trainers don't get nicknames like "drug o'neil" for absolutely no reason.   LOL  

THere are some very ethical and upstanding people in this game.  I feel very comfortable calling out the ones that IMHO, don't meet that definition.    

And in no world, on any forum, am I going to take up for Baffert or how he was protected in closed door meetings by a racing board that is supposed to oversee the intergrity of the sport under their watch.   If this is "my way or the highway" then so be it.  I'd kick him as far to the curb as can go.  And, it will happen one day, just like it did with Servis. 

But I will apologize if my style of expressing my opinion offends you.   That is certianly not my intent.  I am, however, passionate about my opinions of the cheating that is going on in US racing.......andd the side effect of what that does to the horses.     I will not deny that. 

Esp. after I read Old Friends statement that many of the horses they get, who require veterinary care, don't even have a good vein left in order that they may receive their meds.  That should bother everybody.   No sport should involve serious animal abuse. Injecting young horses with Thyro-x who have no diagnosis of thyroid disease would certainly be one such example.   The guys who do it still have training licenses.  Hrumpph!

In reply toRe: msg 41
cubs.fan

Apr-7

Since the inception of the points system, and throw out last year, all horses who crossed the wire first in the Derby were undefeated at 3. It seems that the screws need to be tightened for every start at 3 to win the thing.

princeofdoc

Apr-7

I'm sorry you misunderstood me, Winter......nowhere in my post did I suggest I have a problem with your opinions or your disagreements with me.

I simply took issue with your statement your position was "over my head".  To me that felt like disrespect.  I'm not saying you intended to disrespect anyone who disagrees with you....only that it felt like that to me.