Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

UAE Derby   Triple Crown

Started Mar-26 by SameSteve G; 2081 views.
SameSteve G

Mar-29

Yes & headed to The Wood if I'm not mistaken.

RAESFAN

Mar-29

Bring him on. Crowded Trade barely got beat by Weyburn, got the same beyer, yet I saw the latter on several top ten lists. I hope CT proves he belongs with another strong effort in the Wood.

smartyslew

Mar-29

I think the Wood will be sneaky  good this year. The pandemic has altered the whole process

in the last year and I see more pedigrees bred to carry their speed a distance of ground no matter the horses style and these type imo  may dominate with so many late starters and lightly raced and the Wood

is going to be a showcase of this imo. Saying that because i didn't know what the field was going to be

until today and the same for the other preps coming up. Essential Quality will be tested in his race and I don't know the Santa Anita Derby field yet.

smartyslew

Mar-29

I really like Crowded Trade's Pedigree and I hope he has a full Sister ,I like that better

for breeding matching up all of the 1x thru Buckpasser, Big Red with Princequillo

and the family of Miswaki up the middle, imo MTR as a Bm Sire. not to take anything away 

from Crowded Trade as a G1 Runner Prospect. MTR is getting better Mares .

RAESFAN

Mar-30

Getting back to the UAE Derby. I just watched it again. Let's just say that I hope Essential Quality wins the BG is a romp. If he gets beat, Godolphin might decide to bring the winner of the UAE Derby to America, which I don't think they plan to do at this time. I'm not sure I want that horse in the Derby. He was wide the entire way around, and was able to win going away in good time. I don't care who was behind him. This horse seemed to grow up around two turns. That was an amazing performance!

smartyslew

Mar-30

I think we will know more after this weekend when 2 of their runners are competing.
For years he tried his way, an entrant from Dubai Prep to win the Derby.

I don't know how to answer this, I  can't see 3 of his entrants in the Derby, I wonder if he feels like

its getting away from him ! Time changes people. That was a g0ood performance and he belongs if he comes imo.

RAESFAN

Mar-30

They have tried to win the Derby their way. Wouldn’t it be something if they had two top candidates running in America, yet the one that they brought according to their earlier efforts, is the one to break through? How much satisfaction would that provide? If they have three that qualify, I won’t be mad if they all run. They all have shown themselves to be more legit contenders than most of the rest in my opinion.

smartyslew

Mar-30

I would like to see all three this year, they are all well bred for the classics and no Lasix 

race day. That could be the edge the Sheik is waiting for and It's something I would do

and top it off with the Trifecta/ LOL.

Wintertrian

Mar-31

RAESFAN said...

If he gets beat, Godolphin might decide to bring the winner of the UAE Derby to America, which I don't think they plan to do at this time

Actually, I don't suspect many horses will come over this year but there are 2 from japan that would be worthy if not killer opponents but I just don't see it happening this year? 

RAESFAN

Mar-31

My objective appraisal of Rebel's Romance, is that he may be a real player in the Derby. I know about the history of the UAE Derby, but I think some things are different with this horse. The Meydan track is known for having a lot of kickback. One expert actually said that Rebel's Romance benefitted by being in the clear, where he avoided that. Of course, he's ignoring the fact that his wide trip carries with it, its own disadvantages. This horse closed gradually on the leaders from the back of the pack, while about six wide. Yet, he was able to kick clear by open lengths. His time was impressive when considering that there was no runup this year, according to an article I read.

From a pedigree standpoint, I would think a lot of the gurus would love this son of Dubawi(Dubai Millennium), who's out of a Street Cry mare. His sire has thrown some true distance horses, and Street Cry, his dam sire, has distance breeding all over, albeit on turf. This horse should want every bit of 10f. Heck, I've convinced myself. If Crowded Trade doesn't make it into the starting gate on the 1st Saturday in May, I will be all over this horse if he comes.

EDIT: We like to look at horses sired by the likes of Curlin and AP Indy as the "run all day" types, both racing 12f once in their lives. If you look back through RR's first four generations, you'll find at least a dozen Grade or Group 1 12f races. I think that he'll not only run all day, but he won't take all day to do it either. 

• Edited April 1, 2021 9:02 am  by  RAESFAN