Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

I look at auction prices sometimes   Triple Crown

Started Mar-29 by Wintertrian; 869 views.
Oldbettowin

Apr-6

Must have been somewhat less than impressive as a two year old in training.  Heck Baffert’s probably spent twice that on epo for him lol.

Wintertrian

Apr-7

yer killin' me.   LOL  

You must really have enjoyed watching him turn Secret Circle into a sprinter, too?   

One observation I made over the years about auction prices is that "usually" the Belmont winners are high dollar horses.  I haven't gone thru enough of them to verify though, so certainly not a *rule*.  

Oldbettowin

Apr-7

That certainly would not surprise me.

DogsUp

Apr-7

Forrest Gump (played by Tom Hanks) said “My mom always said life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.”

Many a time buyer budget (large or small) allows to buy one or more.. confirmation is in the eye of the beholder..

Some never foot it out of the gate.

Nyquist was $40K

I'll Have Another $400K

Same pin hook Dennis O'Neill 

PURCHASED For Same trainer owner and ridden to Derby win by same jockey.

Musicians: Sax reeds, cymbals are all different. Sound different under different conditions.

Look at Maximum Security vs the other 3 yr old the West's had that won 2 yr old BC juvey..what's his name. They ran Max $16 claimer. *

Jocks and trainers and owners like to play card game poker. Same thing is claiming races in some regards.

And someone actually claimed another horse in that race. I checked that.

Seattle Slew $40K looked like an awkward hairy donkey. And not said for exclamation.

Take a look at the earnings of the top 20. And more so how they got there. With smaller crops (half the number say 8-10 yes ago) no longer chasing money won in graded 3 yo races. And owners seeking the vicarious 'get me in the Derby.' 

Another I'll Have is someone on my team puts the horse in the ring.

I'll bid against til the other's wallet and brains run dry. Pay the consignment figure. Then I have that hugh number to write off. But it's my own fungible money. 

Hoofnote: Horse mentioned trained by  Chad Brown went to Tampa under Pletcher.

Most likely Todd had assistant trainer, barn space, mechanics to enter, $ transactions etc at TB.

And if it were me/I (Husker?) as the/an owner, I'd write off my extended vacation, I mean business venture..

Actually a dictionary word: Horse Trading..

the act or fact of conducting a shrewd exchange or engaging in a horse trade; bargaining.  

• Edited April 7, 2021 1:53 pm  by  DogsUp
In reply toRe: msg 5
Wintertrian

Apr-7

DogsUp said...

Nyquist was $40K

I'll Have Another $400K

Same pin hook Dennis O'Neill 

PURCHASED For Same trainer owner and ridden to Derby win by same jockey.

Mine That Bird  $9,500 as a yearling. 

Oldbettowin

Apr-7

I actually think this horse is kind of interesting, not the least reason for being he’s in his sire’s first crop.  There’s an awful lot of first and second crop  winners of the derby.

checked the notes...in the last 20 years there have been 11 first or second crop derby winners; 12 if you count Maximum Security:

Monarchos...1

War Emblem...2

Funny Cide...1

Smarty Jones...2

Street Sense...1

Mine That Bird...1

Animal Kingdom...2

I’ll Have Another...2

American Pharoah...2

Nyquist...1

Always Dreaming...1

(Max. Security)...2

DogsUp

Apr-8

MTB was Canadian 2 Y O recognized champ.

Earned enough Derby points to be in it 

Yet! My favorite true story is the KD people contacting the MTB ownership to ask them if they had intentions to run the Derb

In reply toRe: msg 8
Wintertrian

Apr-9

DogsUp said...

MTB was Canadian 2 Y O recognized champ.

Earned enough Derby points to be in it 

Yet! My favorite true story is the KD people contacting the MTB ownership to ask them if they had intentions to run the Derb

Sport of Kings and all that.   Some of the elites don't identify too well with working class types and/or anyone not from their own national "bubble".    

If you remember that derby week, none of the Talking Heads, clockers, etc.  mentioned the horse at all, either. 

I found it sort of an embarassment and it was actually a moment when I paused to review my participation in the game, because of the "outsider" treatment they received. 

DogsUp

Apr-9

I got to be the contrarian on this one..sort a.

It is interesting that the connections of MTB made no attempt/for them to contact and enter - name their colt in the KD as having made the top 20 eligible. It was just a high interest story/comment in that jockeys, trainers, owners, fans and even once a year players all spent their focus on "who gonna get in the Derby..race by race..point by point.

I'll give you that at that time/ MTB Kentucky Derby,the persona of MTB's trainer Skip Wooley ala  jeans, cowboy hat and using temporary injury crutches...proped against the likes of trainers in afternoon tailored suit and tie, manicured hair cuts or fashionable fedoras a top their heads..impressions were made.

I myself, and many a bettor told me stories where they connected with jockeys, trainers, owners in public and were well received and invited in. And I would guess that in other sports or famed celebrities this is not the case. Exception band roadies. 

I'll save my personal encounters. One I like.

An OTB friend had a retirement job as toll both collector. A vehicle stops at toll both and he reads a horse name on a Kty license plate. He engages the driver about the horse. They horse talk. Before the horse owner exits,  just for say gas and coffee/food and intends to get back on the same exit; he asks my friend if he could bring him back coffee or something to eat. Was Governor of the Commonwealth of Kentucky. Brereton C. Jones.

• Edited April 9, 2021 2:16 pm  by  DogsUp
Msg 1652.11 deleted