Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Santa Anita Derby Sat 4-3-21 R8   Triple Crown

Started Apr-1 by Wintertrian; 869 views.
Wintertrian

Apr-1

A watch race for me, but  will be rooting for Roman Centurian.

Also like The Great One and Medina Spirit.                                 

princeofdoc

Apr-2

It's hard to see the Derby winner coming out of this race.....your rooting interests definitely have a chance here, but I'm looking elsewhere for Derby competitor, though who knows, maybe Defunded is that good :)

Have you noticed just how many entrants in these preps had their debuts as 3 year olds?!?  Remember when that was rare?

Gerh

Apr-2

I am interested to see what Parnelli does in here.Shirreffs must have seen something positive to enter him here

In reply toRe: msg 3
princeofdoc

Apr-2

Or the owners have no give-up in them :)

Gerh

Apr-2

Worked 5f in 59.40 on 3/29.Maybe they think the blinkers will help

ChiefsCrown

Apr-2

I too like Roman C in this race but has to be in striking distance to have a legit shot at winning. Can't be 13 to 14 lengths back like last race. I'm playing the Wood and BG Stakes sitting this one out. 

I'd be using Medina Spirit w/ Dream Shake and Rock Your World for the trifecta.

Best speed figs of the bunch. Baffert should claim win No. 10.

Gerh

Apr-2

Roman Centurian will scratch per Bloodhorse 

Wintertrian

Apr-2

princeofdoc said...

Have you noticed just how many entrants in these preps had their debuts as 3 year olds?!?  Remember when that was rare?

Yup.   I remember when Helen Pitts deubted Curlin, and that was considered unusual then. 

Then as soon as he won his maiden on first try with Bejarano in the saddle at GS, Jackson stole the horse from her and gave to Asmussen, you'll see me bring this up more than once because Pitts  conditioned him for 2 full years and made him into everything he was.   

This marks the "exact moment" when I realized that the truly talented "little guys" can't win.......no matter what they do.   Helen did an amazing job with him.  Nobody could have done better.   Yet, the  horse was given to the 200+ barn trainer (who we later found out has some questionable spots in his career) and Curlin was already "ready-made".   Didn't Jackson do same thing with Rachel?  Just buy a winner

Wintertrian

Apr-2

ChiefsCrown said...

Best speed figs of the bunch.

I don't rely on speed figures for classic distance races, but this is only 1-1/8 so I would figure it in, but not base my wagers on it. 
If Andy Beyer's record picking KY Derby winners is any testament, speed players never beat the game when you get into longer routes.  That's got to be bred into them.  He never got that memo. 

I'm gutted about Roman Centurian, but glad because I'll get to see him race elsewhere maybe the Belmont, for which he would be very good.

ChiefsCrown

Apr-2

I don't use Beyer Speed Figs on DRF either. I'm used to the Bris speed figs which break down to 3 segments of the race. So far i've been doing better than usual with them. 

Can't see Medina Spirit dropping this edition. Not a Baffert fan but i can see him with Medina, Defunded 1, 2 and Rock Your World 3rd.

I had Roman in my tri's but glad they're not not pulling a Dale Romans w/ Sitting On Go, he's ruining the poor colt. Centurian, i can see running in the Preakness in 6 weeks.