Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Triple Crown Series   Triple Crown

Started 4/18/21 by smartyslew; 24894 views.
Gerh

May-31

That was fantastic.What the hell are we doing watching US dirt racing?

Gerh

May-31

Action packed.Great finish

DogsUp

May-31

Got to admit. In a large field like this and  holding a Tri ticket; watching the closing unfold and having the right horses underneath and the time and distance to the wire narrowing...

Like the hokie pokie.. That's what it's all about!

Gerh

May-31

You couldn’t tell who was going to be in the tri with 50 feet to go.Nail biting stuff

SameSteve G

May-31

Like we said yesterday, that was a very strong race, overall & a scintillating finish for the top 5 who finished within a long length of one another.  Best 3 year old race of the year for the entire planet by a whole lot, IMO.

I was rooting hard for Satono Reinas (#16) the filly, to beat those boys.  She came really close after racing up near the pace, wide for the entire race.  What an effort!

Spectacular racing is the norm in Japan.  The race horses come first, last & always.  The fan base is incredible over there, as well.

Msg 1678.146 deleted
smartyslew

May-31

Thanks for the video That is great !

smartyslew

May-31

I would like to thank you Steve and Winter for the heads up when it was race day.

The announcers on the Twin Spires feed said it was a new track record.
the winning time was about 10 lengths faster then Big Reds Record on dirt

2:22 and change for about 12 furlongs.

TexSquared

May-31

That Tokyo course plays very fast.  Sub-2:24 is commonly run for 12f races.  I get the impression it is rock-hard firm like American turf courses, and isn't a bog like the Europeans prefer.  Firm turf is generally faster than dirt, and let's not forget unlike Churchill Downs, NYRA doesn't "scrape and roll" its dirt tracks to turn them into pavement.  So running 12f over the sandy beach of Belmont Park is going to be tougher and more tiring than that same distance over Tokyo's dry, fast NFL-like lawn :-)

smartyslew

May-31

I thought it might be harder this year with the times and stakes records broken by more than a little bit, like the White Horse win. That field of 17 in the Japanese Derby  IMO had elite pedigrees for 

12f or longer, with a mix of Japanese Bred Sires to elite Mares from all over The World.

There was a rhythm for the Field ,I don't see in North American racing.

Its a NFL turf but to have that field  of elite runners was enjoyable to watch. Loved it.