Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Medina Spirit - Positive - Betamethasone   Triple Crown

Started 5/9/21 by SameSteve G; 22490 views.
SameSteve G

6/3/21

Yes, agree.  The DQ is up in the air.  The suspension is not.

The larger debate is whether or not the mainstream racing media's promotion of Beta Bob as the "face of the sport" & the illusion that has been foisted on the racing public that the sport itself is better with Baffert in a starring role will continue to be promoted.  I cannot see how that fiction can continue to be told.

Any owner of a 2 year old this year & perhaps next year who has early designs on a Kentucky Derby try who might have blindly given the horse to Beta to train will now look elsewhere.

A more equitable distribution of equine talent will be good for the sport because the sport is much bigger than Beta Bob & after this season, I do not think his star will ascend again.  

Oldbettowin

6/3/21

I hope you’re right.  I was a big fan of American Pharoah just from watching him run.  Justify, not so much.  Even Pharoah’s TC is tainted though somewhere in the back of my mind now.  

SameSteve G

6/3/21

Let us not forget that July 1, 2022 is when the HISA goes into effect & the US Anti-Doping Agency acquires control of medication/drugging/doping protocols.  The HISA will eliminate the crazy quilt of 38 separate sets of rules & regulations and replace that with a uniform set of rules.

The USADA is going to vastly increase the amount of Out Of Competition Testing that is done & will have a contingent of investigators on the ground at the tracks.  There will be one punishment schedule for everyone who violates the rules, likely a sliding scale of severity.

So, let's see, even after Beta Bob's suspension is served if he can flourish in the new, stricter parameters.  He will not be able to hide out in California like he does now under the auspices of a compromised California Horse Racing Board.

ChiefsCrown

6/3/21

I believe his 2 year olds are being dispesed to different trainers. Pletcher is one who received one of Minute Bob's colts.

Maybe this is the wake-up call for the juice trainers that think they can scam the sport.

ChiefsCrown

6/3/21

Only four Baffert runners i liked, American Pharoah, Silver Charm, Point Given and Real Quiet. Point Given my favorite as was Gary Stevens. Then who knows, Baffert could have juiced these as well?

TexSquared

6/3/21

So if Kentucky were to suspend him, New Jersey would let him race? Amazing...

Suspended Kentucky Derby trainer Bob Baffert welcome at Monmouth Park (app.com)

Goes with your point about the HISA which would prevent this.

SameSteve G

6/3/21

Dennis Drazin is an elite BS artist.  All he's thinking about is Haskell handle.  

Then, he plays fast & loose with the truth.  It wasn't CDI that leaked the first bad test on Medina Spirit.  Baffert said that he publicized it himself in order to "get out in front of it".

Also, no problem for Drazin if somehow the KHRC works fast & Medina is DQ'd, then DD will welcome Jimmy Barnes (who does most of the work anyway) as trainer of record.

Gerh

6/3/21

I thought Maximum Security should have been DQed for interfering with King For a Day.Stewards didn’t even look at it.Of course then it turned out that he was one of Gary West’s attorneys 

SameSteve G

6/3/21

No conflict of interest, though.  LOL

Wintertrian

6/3/21

TexSquared said...

New Jersey would let him race? Amazing...

Suspended Kentucky Derby trainer Bob Baffert welcome at Monmouth Park (app.com)

Goes with your point about the HISA which would prevent this.

Here's a Monmouth race of recent note.  Winner is obviously LAME after the race, yet the jockey does not dismount.  He continues to sit on the horse on way to winner's circle, because the winner's circle photograph is more important to the connections (and obviously, to the track veterinarians and stewards as well).  Because let's face it, dismounting and getting the van to wheel your "winner" off the track isn't good optics (for the connections). 

But the rest of us have to watch an obviously lame horse, who with even the smallest wrong movement could be the difference between ability to be rehabilitated versus hopelessly injured for life, is hanging in the balance.  

Hollendorfer, Monmouth, Friday Race, May 28th..... West Side Girl:  (this made me sick)

https://twitter.com/envrv1/status/1398854573150834688