Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Medina Spirit - Positive - Betamethasone   Triple Crown

Started 5/9/21 by SameSteve G; 20312 views.
RAESFAN

5/9/21

Baffert said, “It’s disturbing. It’s an injustice to the horse. . . . I don’t know what’s going on in racing right now, but it’s not right. I don’t feel embarrassed, but I feel wronged.”

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks!" Shakespeare(Hamlet)

SameSteve G

5/9/21

DogsUp said:

My blood sample came back positive for chianti  and a side of baked ziti. 

Haha!  Hey, it's not the ziti, it's the marinara.  :)

Gerh

5/9/21

It is an anti inflammatory.I believe 10 picograms is the legal limit.Medina Spirit’s sample had 21 picograms.I don’t think Lasix would mask it, but it would dilute it

TexSquared

5/9/21

More importantly does Brad Cox enter Mandaloun in the Preakness since (albeit decided in the courts...) he might have a shot at the Triple Crown?

SameSteve G

5/9/21

Betamethasone is a legal drug, class C in Kentucky.  That means it's okay in training but must not be used 14 days or less prior to a race.  It's a  (steroidal) pain med with anti-inflammatory properties...this is all according to varying sources.

Lasix masks drugs - that's a given.

Churchill has said the following:

In response to the positive result and "given the seriousness of the alleged offense," Churchill Downs Incorporated, the parent company of Churchill Downs, has suspended Baffert from entering any horses at Churchill Downs Racetrack.

"Failure to comply with the rules and medication protocols jeopardizes the safety of the horses and jockeys, the integrity of our sport and the reputation of the Kentucky Derby and all who participate. Churchill Downs will not tolerate it," it said in a statement.

Churchill Downs also said if the findings were upheld, Medina Spirit will be disqualified and Mandaloun will be declared the winner of last weekend's Kentucky Derby.

SameSteve G

5/9/21

I suppose that would depend on how quickly the split sample comes back & how it comes back.

According to reports, the horse was twice over the legal limit.

SameSteve G

5/9/21

Maybe it was the Deep (horse racing) State?  Sent in an agent who contaminated the horse!!!

smartyslew

5/9/21

He said no this morning, that could change !

ChiefsCrown

5/9/21

Short notice. Doubt it. When do the jocks get together and stop riding for Teflon Bob? If Medina gets DQ'd, Johnny V. loses out on his share of the winning payout.

.....and Rick Dutrow's still barred from training 13 years later???