Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Woodbine jockey suspended for rest of season   General Discussions

Started Jul-15 by TexSquared; 680 views.
TexSquared

Jul-16

SameSteve G said:

Now, does the jock just p/up & go to another jurisdiction?  

Most racing jurisdictions around the world enforce each other's suspensions. When Mike Smith got suspended after the inaugural Saudi Cup, he still had to serve those days even when he got home to California.  American jocks riding in Dubai often get handed down days and have to serve them over here.  

Now, using the Dubai example, when jockeys get suspended there, they are usually suspended for x number of Emirates race days.  Meaning they can ride on days when the Emirates isn't (and UAE doesn't race 7 days a week, and not every Saturday either).  Woodbine runs Thursday to Sunday with few exceptions (Labour Day is a Monday with live racing, with no racing the Thursday after it). So perhaps he can ride elsewhere Monday to Wednesday?  I'd say his year is totally messed up unless he can get the suspension shortened on appeal.  

Agree with you on calling that ride reckless.  He was riding a no-hoper longshot and didn't even bother to look back before moving outward (and given how close they were, surely he could have heard in his right ear that there was a horse there).  Luis Saez got 15 days for how he rode Maximum Security in the Derby.  This guy's ride was much worse.

SameSteve G

Jul-16

I hope the other rider is okay.   I haven't looked into it.  The fall contributed to the severity of the penalty as it should have done.  

From Leandro's point of view, I have a feeling he will do all he can to mitigate that suspension, which is his right.  Hopefully, it's not just punishment to him but also a lesson.  Sport is dangerous enough to horse & rider when everything proceeds correctly.

Oldbettowin

Jul-16

I sure hope the jock got his constitutional right to due process.  :eyeroll:

TexSquared

Jul-16

Haha good one!   I'd say he did, there was a hearing and then the stewards handed down the suspension.  This isn't Woodbine Racetrack suspending him, but the racing and gaming commission of Ontario.

Looking at some tweets from the day of the infraction, the jockey that fell took off the rest of his mounts (went to hospital, X-rays negative, cleared to ride again - he has mounts all this weekend), but the jock who caused the fall was ALSO taken off his remaining mounts, I assume by the stewards. So even then they didn't like what they saw and "red-carded" him like in soccer. (I'm sure if his horse finished in the money he would have been DQ'ed to last or unplaced).

SameSteve G

Jul-21

Well, I was hoping the jock might have learned something from the harsh suspension but I guess not.   

Salles told the Sun. “I just think my riding style doesn't match with the rules they have up here.”

What a knucklehead!  

TexSquared

Jul-21

Yeah, this article:
BUFFERY: Woodbine jockey Salles regrets mistake and suspension | Toronto Sun

also covered here:
Multiple Safety-Related Violations Results in 4 1/2-Month Suspension for Jockey Salles (thoroughbreddailynews.com)

He's ridden in Asia and the Middle East?  The stewards in those places are a lot more strict compared to ours.  Remember, Dubai World Cup day you see all sorts of fines and suspensions handed down for careless riding, excessive use of the whip, etc...  If his riding style is bad enough to get a 4 month suspension in North America he should have a lifetime ban from Hong Kong or Dubai!  I'd love to see how many penalties he had overseas!

Since suspensions are enforced worldwide he's out of work until December and says he'll ride in the Middle East in the winter (doesn't say where... could be any of UAE, Saudi, Qatar...) then come back here for our 2022 meet. 

SameSteve G

Jul-21

Really.  The International rules are cast iron compared to N. America.  Canada is a step up from the US, though.  US is way too permissive, IMO.

Apparently, the idea of adapting his riding to fit the rules at Woodbine never occurred to Salles.  His thinking only got him to Part A.  My riding doesn't fit.

And never to Part B:  Hey maybe I should adapt!   

Or, Part C:  Change the rules to fit my style!!   LOL!

TexSquared

Jul-21

It doesn't make sense.  If this guy can ride in Asia and the Middle East without getting suspended and fined all the time, his riding style SHOULD be acceptable in North America.  The other places all had the more strict whip rules before we did, for example  (nowhere is as strict as New Jersey, but I'm talking about things like no overhand hits a la Jorge Chavez, limit on how many strikes per race, must give the horse a chance to respond, etc), and you see fines and suspensions all over the place for "careless riding" which wouldn't even register with our stewards unless it was bad enough to warrant a DQ.

Dude should spend his downtime studying race videos where jockeys got penalized and learn what not to do...