Delphi Forums: Hosts Support

Hosted by DelphiForums|www.delphiforums.com/support

This is Delphi Forums' official support forum for Hosts. Ask questions, discuss problems, give feedback, and share tips about running a successful forum.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Something with character encoding?   Message Board

Started Sep-15 by NLS (nulusios); 464 views.
NLS (nulusios)

Sep-15

I have a very long standing issue with my (many years inactive, but I still want to be browseable) own forum.

While the titles on the left bar are properly shown in Greek, when I click to read a message, everything in the central region (including the title that on the left I read properly) shows as garbage.
I tried changing the display encoding of the page, but nothing helps.

I wonder if I need to choose a different font (something I cannot do with a basic account).

Here is an example:

https://forums.delphiforums.com/gotoc/messages/?msg=4366.1

Here things are even worse! One message is shown in Greek and the other is not!
Titles messed up too!

Any ideas?

gunter

Sep-15

You mentioned this started a long time ago or always been this way?

Really strange that it works for a message but then not in Reply.  There is a three month difference in the posts.  Are there older ones where it work?

I don't see Greek listed as a default language you can set in Controls of the forum. 

In reply toRe: msg 2
NLS (nulusios)

Sep-15

Thanks for replying.

I cannot even remember when this started. I think back when forum was active, I didn't have this issue.

I will try to change default language to see if it helps. (EDIT: ah yes indeed Greek is missing)

Thing is, I don't even know how to read this gibberish posts. They do look as messed up UTF, but they are not. I tried many different (related) encodings and none worked.

gunter

Sep-15

I looked at the source of the messages, that doesn't help either.

In reply toRe: msg 4
NLS (nulusios)

Sep-15

Yeah did that too.

Very weird.

gunter

Sep-15

Don't see any new messages, did you try recently?

Kid (Kidmagnet)

Sep-15

We used to have a lot more language choices, perhaps Greek was one that was removed a few years back? Also we suspected the character encoding was changed about the time Delphi dropped it's own editor and started using the CK one.

CC to gunter
NLS (nulusios)

Sep-16

Could be that.

In that case it needs manual work.

Is there some "full forum dumping" tool, to get my whole forum locally?

Kid (Kidmagnet)

Sep-16

If you mean wiping out all the posts, not really. There's a tool for removing 50 discussions at a time but it does not work great besides being tedious. 
I'd just restart with a new forum... setting the folders at your current one to "read only" and leaving a message with the new ones address.

New forums open in the newer, responsive UI. You can always revert it to the old Classic look but the mobile version will stay as the new (Zeta) making it easier for those accessing with phones and tablets.  

*edited because my own internal encoding was wack stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye

NLS (nulusios)

Sep-16

No I am not asking to delete anything.

I ask if there is anything to BACKUP/export the content locally.
This way I could mass check the problematic posts, fix them with some script and maybe store it in some readable form (outside Delphi) for historical reference.