Delphi Forums: Hosts Support

Hosted by DelphiForums|www.delphiforums.com/support

This is Delphi Forums' official support forum for Hosts. Ask questions, discuss problems, give feedback, and share tips about running a successful forum.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Delete Folder & Contents?   Message Board

Started Oct-25 by john7g2; 314 views.
john7g2

Oct-25

Is there a way to delete an entire forum folder and it's contents quickly and easily? or do I have to delete each individual thread to clear the folder?

gunter

Oct-25

No, sorry. 

Also in most cases there is no reason to do this since members will not see older discussions unless they look for them.

In reply toRe: msg 2
john7g2

Oct-25

A forum I inherited has a folder of Deleted Threads the previous admins used to moved threads to that were outside of the rules at the time. A lot of unread messages to current members of the follow on forum are in this folder.  If I open it up all those unreads will show and I don't need them rehashing issues that are best left in the past.  

Kid (Kidmagnet)

Oct-25

The trouble with deleting threads is it causes problems within the folder. The best practice is to get to the very beginning of the folder (oldest discussion) and delete in order forward. But even then it is not fail safe. When discussions are deleted out of order (time wise) they can suddenly create a "hole" in the folder that swallows up the rest of the discussions.

Problem solved!

Except they are only hidden from view until at some point (as new discussions are posted) they reappear.

IT might be best to just not repurposed that folder, however.... If despite all these warnings you still want to give it a try here are directions. 

(This works only for the owner of a Premium forum set in Classic view)

Click on folder title so only that folders discussions are visible.

Scroll down until you see the Next 50 link and click on it over and over (scroll, click, scroll click) until it no longer appears. 

You should now be at the folder's oldest discussions. Use the Manage Discussions link also down in that area to delete 50 discussions at a time.

(Use Check, Delete and Confirm) Repeat until folder is empty.

**Know also that the folder may already contain "hidden" discussions if discussions were previously deleted and because it was used as an archive to move discussions to.

Good luck!

john7g2

Oct-25

Thanks for that. It works well. 

And thanks for the warnings.  There's no value in keeping anything in this folder, maybe 1 or 2 I'll move to a different folder but if I deleted them, it'll never be noticed.  Prior admin had a habit of heavy censorship and instead of deleting the threads outright at the moment he found them, he kept them all in a separate folder hidden folder.  I'd like to open up some folder space for other possibilities since both forums are using all their allotted folders.  Your method for deleting quickly seems to be the thing I was looking for.  

Kid (Kidmagnet)

Oct-25

OK, if anything super weird (or even mildly weird) happens give a holler and I'll come take a look.

john7g2

Oct-26

Thanks. Down to 9 threads that stood out from the others and deciding what to do with them.

RCBZ

Oct-31

Thanks for the info

In reply toRe: msg 8
Kid (Kidmagnet)

Oct-31

You bet - just make sure you understand the risks :)