Delphi Forums: Hosts Support

Hosted by DelphiForums|www.delphiforums.com/support

This is Delphi Forums' official support forum for Hosts. Ask questions, discuss problems, give feedback, and share tips about running a successful forum.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Active Chats with only one chatter   Administrative Issues

Started Sep-30 by Risa (Risa25); 562 views.
Risa (Risa25)

Sep-30

The Terms of Service says the following: Any attempt to manipulate forum rankings by artificially inflating counts of visitors, message views, postings or other items used in determining the forum's standing will be considered a violation of this agreement, and subject to any and all punitive actions specified herein for such violations, including closure of forum and termination of account.

There is a forum called [xxxxxx]at the top of the active chats list with 21 chatters, one of which is a welcome bot and the other 20 are all one chatter with different numbers following the name. Is this considered an artificial inflation  of count of visitors or is this allowed?

• Edited October 1, 2022 12:30 am  by  WaltHowe
WaltHowe
Staff

Oct-1

It may be a violation, but posting derogatory information publicly about another forum is also a violation. Please keep such matters to private email.

wulf (RabidWulf)

Oct-1

Risa (Risa25) said...

The Terms of Service says the following: Any attempt to manipulate forum rankings by artificially inflating counts of visitors, message views, postings or other items used in determining the forum's standing will be considered a violation of this agreement, and subject to any and all punitive actions specified herein for such violations, including closure of forum and termination of account.

There is a forum called [xxxxxx]at the top of the active chats list with 21 chatters, one of which is a welcome bot and the other 20 are all one chatter with different numbers following the name. Is this considered an artificial inflation  of count of visitors or is this allowed?

Ooops, Risa... you missed one of them LOL  There was no "attempt" to do anything except to stop chats from opening over and over... It finally stopped after 21.. yes 21.. and continued "attempting" to load chat.  We then got the chat... attempting several times.  Could not even close EACH new chat... There was NO 'attempt' to do anything, except to make it stop... which was finally accomplished by finally exiting Delphi completely! 

The same mini thing happened the night previous, Thursday.. with only THREE chats open.. and all three of them could function.  Another chatter entered and we were able to share, but she sent PMs... THREE each time.  Needless to say it was not fun, nor was it funny.

Been having a few issues with zeta.. but was NOT using zeta either night. 

Just left the chat a short time ago, and everything seems back to "normal" now. 

Just a thought here, and really don't care one way or the other who is on the top of the chant list... but, in reality, isn't the entire BOT thing it's own form of inflating counts?  A TOS violation?  Then we have forums with more than one chat room, with a BOT in each of them?  Oh my, it gets a bit stinky, doesn't it? 

rw ala: wulf_1-21

All the Chatrooms are "zeta" and that inability to enter chat fully in a timely fashion resulting in duplications has been an issue all along. Either your connection or your system may be a bit slower recently. 
*Delphi released these upgraded chatrooms to get away from the frequently insecure Java... back in ummm 2014 I think*
Crossing fingers, your system can download Chrome, it's not a huge system download and that lets you use Delphi comfortable. Keep us posted!

Risa (Risa25)

Oct-1

Right o,Walt, will do, apologi8se didnt mean a violaion

Risa (Risa25)

Oct-1

Hi wulf, yeh the bots seem to have been having some kind of revolution lately, disappearing and refusing to return, lol. that's a LOT of attempts I think i would have given up in despair! And yes I have seen upwards of 20 rooms with only a bot in them but guessing that is ok to do, no idea.  Just thought upward of 20 a bit excessive lol. To me, having one bot as  a "welcome bot" serves as a kind of place holder making it easier for people to find their forum if they haven't saved it as a favourite or recently visited. I don't care for zeta myself but my new computer didn't want Java so am resigned to zeta by now.  Do you ever get the feeling there is some kind of chat imp out there messing with our heads lol

Risa (Risa25)

Oct-1

Howya, Kid, I've tried Chrome but it seems to think Delphi is "insecure." However, I  have no problem with using it on Firefox. I don't "speak computer" so I just do my best to chat, lol

WaltHowe
Staff

Oct-1

Make sure your link to Delphi begins https:// not http://. That establishes a secure, encrypted link. And make sure your browser versions and operating system are kept up to date as far as your equipment will let you. Updates take care of critical security vulnerabilities.

Risa (Risa25)

Oct-1

Thanks, Walt!  I do try to be sure of the https thing but sometimes it shows me an icon with the red slash / through it; so not sure if that's a warning or just a sytem thing? I do get regular updates and I use Windows 10 which also prompts me for updates so I try to stay on top of things as best I can:)

wulf (RabidWulf)

Oct-1

Risa (Risa25) said...

Right o,Walt, will do, apologi8se didnt mean a violaion

No 'violation' was ever intended here either, Risa..... IF one had joined the non-chattting chat, it would have been more than easy to see..... and become very annoyed along with all of the others in the room(meaning just one with 21 numbers after the name).  It currently appears the 'halloween spooks' have gone elsewhere.... at least in the moment. 

Just a little friendly suggestion:  possibly seek to provide the best possible service to the members, rather than attempting to be 'top chat' and out rank the others in one's chosen area.   Happy members don't lose one's chat, no matter where it is located on the main lising :) 

rw