Delphi Forums: Hosts Support

Hosted by DelphiForums|www.delphiforums.com/support

This is Delphi Forums' official support forum for Hosts. Ask questions, discuss problems, give feedback, and share tips about running a successful forum.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Viewing Zeta as Classic   Technical Issues /Bugs

Started 2/11/18 by RedBV; 582 views.
In reply toRe: msg 4
Kid (Kidmagnet)

2/11/18

Grabbing TLW and leaving - why you are posting the same question in two threads on the same forum is confusing me. I think I have given you all the info I can.

I'm done Red.

. (RabidWulf)

2/11/18

Kid (Kidmagnet) said...

You seem to know a LOT about coding and how interfaces work, so why not help those that are struggling with stuff learn? It's WAY more rewarding.

You walk very gently... but not silently ... and it is much appreciated.  When one/self is willing to help others, but struggles with the know how, it isn't a pretty picture LOL

Kid (Kidmagnet)

2/11/18

You are very helpful and it is appreciated!

RedBV

2/11/18

Much better post, thank you . . . it is what am more accustomed coming from ya . . .

In general agree that Delphi has leaned heavily toward what a Host wants, but that has not always been the case . . . and as a Host have been on the receiving end of that . . .

You indicate a non loss of members due to forcing zeta only viewing . . . that may well be the case for you personally . . . however, there are threads here that show otherwise . . . threads that you've taken part in . . . the point being - you know that your personal experience is not Delphi wide . . .

Delphi gives you choices and its not promising you things will never change or Classic will never go away because the online world progresses at a fast rate and Classic may not work down the road. But yes, they did a complete about face early in the public Zeta Beta testing and allowed the Classic view to remain.

Which is what I've addressed from the get go . . .

As to the chat function - am well aware of the problems that existed for a number of years now . . . one of the reasons why didn't bother to use chat . . . and like many posters have been in contact with, they weren't interested in doing chat anyway . . . why . . . when there are more than a few folks in the room it becomes cumbersome to keep up with all that is being said . . .

About the only time have used it, was to see if it appeared to be a factor in play for forum rankings . . . anyway, over the years a number of folks offered various chat apps they liked and had good experience with . . . the point being - chat, as indicated, has been a problem for years . . . and do think it was a good move for Delphi to finally set up a chat feature that works . . . and it would have been a very bad move to only offer it to zeta folks . . .

As to the rumors you bring up about the immediate or the like demise of Classic, I don't happen to be one of them . . . however, in a like manner I don't appreciate the more or less "to bad so sad" attitude of some toward folks who prefer Classic to zeta . . . and that is how it comes across . . .

As to helping folks - happen to do that and will continue to do it (as some recent threads can attest). . . but that will not stop me from voicing my opinion of the move toward zeta . . . I look at it along the lines of what Glen has pointed out since the obvious kickback toward zeta began . . . i.e look and feel . . . that it likely would have been better if Delphi would have kept the look and feel of Classic in the zeta format . . . and allow Hosts to determine what features they wanted for their forums . . . i.e. some folks would have stayed with the look and feel of Classic . . . while others would have jumped on all the bells and whistles that came along and were available . . .

As an analogy (perhaps poor or not) - a person heats their home with wood . . . older folks might like using twigs, etc., to build their fire, then some larger twigs after it gets going, etc. . . . while others think "fire starters" are the best thing since sliced bread - don't have to have a tinder box, hunt for tinder, etc., etc. . . . just lay down a few pieces of smaller wood, light a few fire starters, and then put on some larger pieces of wood . . . 

The point being - the wood stove could care less how the fire is started . . . and more or less the same could have been done with zeta . . . a single platform with the look and feel of Classic . . . and for those who want ta play with the bells and whistles, they are there for them to play with . . . not unlike those folks who wanted ta tinker with HTML/CSS, etc. . . .

As to the latter above - not unlike what is done with web site composing . . . one wants ta play with the coding themselves, have at it . . . or we also have many many apps that all ya need do is insert them and wala turn key web site in a few minutes . . . 

Anyway . . .

RedBV

2/11/18

There ya go with the dismissive attitude once again . . . in the other thread I addressed the issue of your claim and gave an example of why your claim doesn't hold up . . . which anyone can see by reading the thread . . . 

Given that the example given was something I was recently asked about, again . . . decided to also ask in a specific thread about it . . . thus not addressing the post or thread to you . . . 

What seems to be the problem with doing so . . . are Hosts allowed to ask questions or not . . .