Delphi Forums: Hosts Support

Hosted by DelphiForums|www.delphiforums.com/support

This is Delphi Forums' official support forum for Hosts. Ask questions, discuss problems, give feedback, and share tips about running a successful forum.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Can't remove someone Technical problem   Chat

Started Jul-14 by Sassy (MrsSassy); 779 views.
Sassy (MrsSassy)

Jul-14

I have a member of my staff that routinely changes her log in name to a nick name once she enters the chat room, however today when she did that she is now in the chat room  with BOTH names.

NORMALLY all we do is exit the room log out and then return however that hasn't worked at all and has been tried several times now.

The first time I tried to kick her out of the room I got a message saying NO USER.

The second time however it had her nick along with her member name (all as one name ) but I only clicked on the nick name,  it said No USER

The third and final time I tried to kick both names one at a time of course as I did the each time, it said NO USER effectively making it so I can't kick out either name.

Please help, The member nae is Magdalena_Tx and the nick is Lena she is a moderator in my Forum and she obviously can't moderate with this going on. Any suggestions?

gunter

Jul-14

Suggest logging out, closing browser and giving it some time before trying to enter the room again.

I don't see any membername Magdelena_Tx, is that correct?

In reply toRe: msg 2
Sassy (MrsSassy)

Jul-19

Magdalena_Tx  is what I typed to you in my previous post Gunter. She is a chat mod in my forum and has been a member for many years now. She recently changed browsers and is currently using Chrome however she started having this issue along with having trouble being removed from the chat constantly so I have no convinced her to go back to using Firefox. She hasn't any problems what so ever since she went back to using Firefox.

I have several other Chrome users and they ALL have many issues while on Delphi however they have zero issues at other sites using Chrome as their browser choice. WHY doesn't Delphi Forums work as good with  other Browsers other than Firefox? Are there ANY suggestions as to how someone can use Chrome on Delphi and not run into so many Delphi Issues?

Problems reported using Chrome as Browser Choice:

1. Disappearing typing line

2. Constantly being unable to enter what you have said into the chat room

3. Constantly being removed from the chat room

4 Trouble loging in using Chrome

5. Being unable to use the Editor ( it doesn't show up on their screens )

I know there have been other tings reported in chat but I can't remember each thing but as soon as I can get someone to use Firefox they have no more issues with Delphi however they say Firefox tends to make their machines run slowly and cause them to have problems on more sites than Chrome does.

Also I do have some members who have purchased "Chromebooks" so obviously they can't use any other Browsers but that being said "Chromebooks" cost far less than your "normal lap top" or  "Desk top" according to everyone I have spoken with so~ a lot of people these days are purchasing "Chromebooks" verses a Lap Top or Desk top computer based on cost alone it's simply not practical for a lot of people to spend all that extra money when something else is available that basically allows them to do almost everything that a lap top or desk top would do at a much, much lower cost to them.

Are their any plans to make Delphi Forums "play well" for those using Chrome as their choice for a browser? It just seems pretty short minded and very self defeating to have Delphi only work well on a specific browser but that's simply my opinion. I promised my Chrome user members I would ask about all of this here and I would get back to them with an "Offical Answer" so I hope you don't mind me pestering you specifically with their questions, issues, problems.

Thanks again,

Sassy

gunter

Jul-19

Chrome works well with other systems, seems then that only chrome books are having a problem.  Proprietary systems like that decide to ignore standards and want everyone else to change instead.  Eventually the system will catch up. 

sorry this isn't working smoothly as it should ...

In reply toRe: msg 4
Sassy (MrsSassy)

Jul-21

Gunter I really hate to disagree with you but I have several members who have "tried" dilegently to use Chrome as their Browser choice while on Delphi and they run into issues ALL the time. They lose their typing line, they get booted out of the chat room at least 10 times more often than any of the Firefox users, their screens are subject to lag far more often as well so I sure don't see how you can blame it on only  "Chrome books"

Only ONE of my Forums members actually has a "Chromebook."  ALL of the others have "Lap tops" running Windows 10 and a current version of Chrome! It is those members also that run into the exact same issues that the "ONE" "Chromebook" users runs into as well using Google Chrome.

Any idea when Delphi will address this issue?

Thanks much, Sassy

In reply toRe: msg 4
Sassy (MrsSassy)

Jul-21

Just to clarify~ Magdalena_Tx   is using a Dell Lap top running Windows 10, updated automatically. She "prefers"  Chrome over Firefox its as simply as that. However anytime she accidentally forgets to change her Browser over to Firefox before she enters Delphi, she constantly has all of the above mentioned problems in my previous posts here. It has gotten to the point that I KNOW what browser she is using even though I'm over 2,500 miles away from her location! I can tell based on the issues she has using Chrome as her Browser so I will remind her that she MUST use Firefox verses Chrome so she can participate on Delphi Forums. She like MOST of my Forums members all pay for Delphi Plus the least they should be able to do is use a popular Browser like Chrome on Delphi in my opinion for what's that worth to anyone.

Thanks, Sassy

gunter

Jul-21

Reports have been noted. Suggest members  post here with details of what happens when they run into trouble so tech can get a precise description.

sorry this continues being a problem for some members ...

WaltHowe
Staff

Jul-22

It might be useful to know if the computers having trouble are older ones. Some people run the Chrome browser without any problems, and identifying the key differences may not be easy.

Kid (Kidmagnet)

Jul-22

I'm editing my comment as I've been doing some digging around . 

See if Lena or the others are running anything that prevents pop ups or scripts. I know she is Plus but many still run script or ad blockers. 

I've been on Chrome all night and in chat, posting on the forums etc without issue. I asked at another busy chat forum about Chrome and many use it just fine. So it's likely some additional security preventing things from working correctly. The editor not loading is often to do with the speed at which the page loads. If it is too slow the editor does not load at all. 

Ghosting in chat has been a now and then problem since Zeta chat was released. anyone having two nicks in the room is not actually in the room twice. The second one USUALLY goes away but now and then can become stuck. Try as I might I could not "ghost" myself but it has happened to me in the past, usually when the chat server was bogged down. 

Showtalk
Staff

Jul-22

I have a somewhat older computer and was able to add Chrome but I did it a few years ago when I switched to Windows 10.  I rarely use it, though.  When I do, it works fine.

• Edited July 22, 2019 3:58 pm  by  Showtalk