iProducts... an Apple a Day!

Hosted by Kidmagnet

An iFriendly support forum for the Apple devices we all know and love. iPad, iPhone, iPod... iWant you!

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

MacBook vs System 76 Laptops   Mac Computers

Started Jan-1 by MRCROSSROADS; 446 views.
MRCROSSROADS
Staff

Jan-1

Was debating getting a System 76 laptop, but by the time you add the specs you want the cost is too rich for me. Like $2,200.

Really wanted something that marries the software well with the hardware. For $700 less I instead opted for a MacBook Air. Very similar specs.

Anyone have a MacBook?

Kidmagnet
Host

Jan-3

Please feel free to promote!

MRCROSSROADS
Staff

Jan-3

Will do, thanks!

BlueMoon67

Jan-4

I have a very, very old MacBook that I need to get rid of. (Apple might give me a $10 trade-in credit...maybe!). I currently use a Mac Mini (late 2014 model). I wish it had a USB C port. That is one thing I would like to have, but that is only on models from the last few years. I would definitely buy a Mac Mini again, but the price tag on the latest model is quite high. It's not yet time for me to upgrade, so I have time to think about it. I purchased by Mac Mini in 2017, so I expect to still get a few good years out of it still. I may be retired by then, and perhaps I'll just be content to have an iPad and not worry about a laptop/desktop, but who knows? 

MRCROSSROADS
Staff

Jan-4

Yeah, Macs can run well for a long time. The iMac I got for my wife back in the day is a 2013 model and it still purrs like a kitten. 

re: Mac Mini - I agree, the base model at $700 isn't great considering you're still on the hook for a monitor. Unless you hook it up to a TV. And it's an extra $200 to double the storage from 256 to 512.  For just $100 more you can get the base model MBA, or for $300 more the 512GB MBA with the 8 & 8 core config.

I also ordered a 256GB 2021 10.2-inch iPad that will be arriving in a week or so. iPads knocks the socks of any Android tablet. 

If you want the next best thing to a MacBook Air (MBA), with a smaller price tag, I recommend the Acer Swift 3 with Linux Mint and the Cinnamon desktop environment. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086KKKT15 

bembidion1

Jan-10

I have a macbook that's somewhere around 20 years old and it works fantastic.  A friend gave it to me five or so years ago.  I never update it and don't even know if that is possible so it has a few limitations, but still it's a great machine.

MRCROSSROADS
Staff

Jan-11

I think the original MacBook was 2006. Do you know what version OS it's running? If it's in good physical condition it may pull a pretty penny on eBay.

bembidion1

Jan-11

I don't know what the OS is, but can probably find out.  I wouldn't sell the computer.  I like it too much.

bembidion1

Jan-11

Thanks for your information.  As you can tell, I'm not too knowledgeable of this topic.  I was going by memory of what my friend said and my memory was incorrect.  There is something on the computer which says, "About This Mac" and it gives the date as early 2008.  One of the lines says, "Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)".  As I said, it works well, but the battery is pretty much shot so I run it off the power cord.  Is it possible to get a replacement battery for one of these?