People & Current News -  Naomi Judd In Heaven? (216 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMay-13 12:03 PM 
To: All  (1 of 8) 

It's not being reported Naomi Judd shot herself. After decades of severe depression/anxity she could not go on. As we know, suicide is a sin, yet I can understand her position to some degree. My wife's family has mental illness and not just her mother in law. In fact, there is a history of suicide of in her family, two ladies jumped off a bridge, not at the same time. We have a name for some forms of mental illness, such as bi-polar and I know others who have this. We have some okay drugs for it, Prozac, abilify and many many more, they can help, or help for a time or never helped. Many people like Naomi, who SUFFER with this illness are quiet about it, Naomi told the press about it and sought to help others, but there was no help for her. The Judds are Christians, I'm sure they prayed about it, but I haven't heard that mentioned. 

Is Naomi in heaven? She accepted Christ? She fought a public fight with depression, I consider that a huge and personally hard step to take, especially with her so famous. What do you think? 

Reply   Options 

To: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 8) 
 42005.2 in reply to 42005.1 

When I went looking for my paternal grandmother's grave many years after her death I was surprised to find she was buried in the general section not in the Catholic section for they were staunch Catholics.  It appears she killed herself and therefore could not be buried in consecrated ground.

I do not believe suicide prevents a person from going to heaven.  Like you, I see it as a mental disorder.  I could not judge whether Naomi Judd was a Christian or not but as a Christian there are some of their songs I would not listen to.

From: Ginger (TGANNON) DelphiPlus Member IconMay-14 2:56 PM 
To: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 8) 
 42005.3 in reply to 42005.1 

Is Naomi in heaven? She accepted Christ? She fought a public fight with depression, I consider that a huge and personally hard step to take, especially with her so famous. What do you think? 

Ginger>You know that old saying.....'You can sit in a garage and call yourself a car but that doesn't mean that you are'.  Did she just go through the motions of religiosity or did she get in the Word and use it to battle her thinking (disease?) A lot of people walk the aisle and say they accepted Christ but they seem to leave it at that and have no interest in getting into the Bible to see what is actually said.  We are to put on the full armor of God to fight daily battles not only in this world but from ourselves.  
Ephesians 6:10-20

The Whole Armor of God

10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. 11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. 12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. 13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. 14 Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. 16 In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; 17 and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, 18 praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end, keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints, 19 and also for me, that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel, 20 for which I am an ambassador in chains, that I may declare it boldly, as I ought to

Ginger>In short, I don't know.  It's between her and God.

Psalm119:105 "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path"

From: Ginger (TGANNON) DelphiPlus Member IconMay-14 3:04 PM 
To: Ken (kjodwyer)  (4 of 8) 
 42005.4 in reply to 42005.2 

When I went looking for my paternal grandmother's grave many years after her death I was surprised to find she was buried in the general section not in the Catholic section for they were staunch Catholics.  It appears she killed herself and therefore could not be buried in consecrated ground.

Ginger>my maternal grandmother was Catholic probably most of her life but later got away from it and attended what I call a Holy Rollers church.  She wanted to be buried beside her parents who were buried in a Catholic cemetary so in order to do that a Catholic priest had to be called into the hospital to give her last rites before she died.  I wonder what it is that makes a Catholic cememtary "consecrated" per the Catholic religion.  Do you know?

To: Ginger (TGANNON) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 8) 
 42005.5 in reply to 42005.4 

Catholics have a liturgical response to most religious things ... sprinkle some holy water, mutter some latin prayers, and bingo, it's consecrated.  

I don't mean to sound disrespectful of Catholic Christians but I have little time for forms of religion.

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMay-16 10:23 AM 
To: Ken (kjodwyer)  (6 of 8) 
 42005.6 in reply to 42005.2 

bob>I have heard of RCC doing that. It's not excommunicating them, right? Or is it? Why wasn't Ted Kennedy treated the same? 

I do not believe suicide prevents a person from going to heaven.  Like you, I see it as a mental disorder.  I could not judge whether Naomi Judd was a Christian or not but as a Christian there are some of their songs I would not listen to.

bob> I think she was a Chirstian, I also think her mental illness drove her to that point, as it does many. However, not everyone who commits suicide is mentally ill. I saw a documentary on people who jumped off the Golden Gate Bridge and survived, yet they all had the same "thinking" falling down, be they Christians or not. As soon as they let go of the bridge, knowing there was no way to save them, they were going to die, they all regrated what they did all they way down and they all prayed for God/Jesus to save them from death.  Some jumped because their lover rejected them, some were mentally ill and depressed to a point where they could not take it any longer, some just did it, not having a death wish, but just jumped, most likely on drugs at the time. I thought, they lived, which was not their goal in jumping,  and they would go back up and jump again, but as soon as they let go, they wanted to live.. Something they didn't want to do just a second before hand. One doesn't have to be sick or dying or mentally ill to take their own lives. Lives here in the US are not viewed with as much value as some other parts of the world. We have lived with the best standard of living in the world, most money/credit and yet are not happy. What's up with that? 

From: Bob (Bobbylee7) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMay-16 10:29 AM 
To: Ginger (TGANNON) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 8) 
 42005.7 in reply to 42005.3 

Ginger>You know that old saying.....'You can sit in a garage and call yourself a car but that doesn't mean that you are'.  Did she just go through the motions of religiosity or did she get in the Word and use it to battle her thinking (disease?) A lot of people walk the aisle and say they accepted Christ but they seem to leave it at that and have no interest in getting into the Bible to see what is actually said.  We are to put on the full armor of God to fight daily battles not only in this world but from ourselves.  
Ephesians 6:10-20

The Whole Armor of God

10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. 11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. 12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. 13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. 14 Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. 16 In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; 17 and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, 18 praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end, keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints, 19 and also for me, that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel, 20 for which I am an ambassador in chains, that I may declare it boldly, as I ought to

Ginger>In short, I don't know.  It's between her and God.

bob>All life is precious to God, but not to us. I do know people who suffer, and I mean suffer with bi - polar illness. It's consuming, it's terrible and it's a brain disorder, chemical imbalance of some sort, I think. I know people who get drugs for this and it helps them alot and those where it doesn't help them. Our addiction program has many with mental illness or emotional illness, as their lives have been terrible from the start and they self medicate to escape their illness if not for just a few hours. God will take this into His perfect assessment aand make the right decision, as  you know.

From: Ginger (TGANNON) DelphiPlus Member IconMay-16 3:06 PM 
To: Ken (kjodwyer)  (8 of 8) 
 42005.8 in reply to 42005.5 

Catholics have a liturgical response to most religious things ... sprinkle some holy water, mutter some latin prayers, and bingo, it's consecrated.  

Ginger>OIC

Ken>I don't mean to sound disrespectful of Catholic Christians but I have little time for forms of religion?

Ginger>Jesus was never about religion. I was just wondering why they called the cemetery consecrated.  There's an old hymn called 'Take my life and let it be, consecrated Lord to thee".  In that case, it means to set apart.  

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.