Political Beat-down and Flames -  Gays and the New SC Term (327 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Equality4ALL (KINGPACO2) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostOct-8 6:21 PM 
To: All  (1 of 26) 

The Supreme Court has delivered a remarkable series of victories to the gay rights movement over the last two decades, culminating in a ruling that established a constitutional right to same-sex marriage. But in more than half the states, someone can still be fired for being gay.

Early in its new term, on Oct. 8, the court will consider whether an existing federal law, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, guarantees nationwide protection from workplace discrimination to gay and transgender people, even in states that offer no protections right now.

It will be the court’s first case on L.G.B.T. rights since the retirement last year of Justice Anthony M. Kennedy, who wrote the majority opinions in all four of the court’s major gay rights decisions. And without Justice Kennedy, who joined four liberals in the 5-to-4 ruling in the marriage case, the workers who sued their employers in the three c
...[Message truncated]

"I am certainly not an advocate for frequent and untried changes in laws and constitutions. I think moderate imperfections had better be borne with; because, when once known, we accommodate ourselves to them, and find practical means of correcting their ill effects. But I know also, that laws and institutions must go hand in hand with the progress of the human mind. As that becomes more developed, more enlightened, as new discoveries are made, new truths disclosed, and manners and opinions change with the change of circumstances, institutions must advance also, and keep pace with the times. We might as well require a man to wear still the coat which fitted him when a boy, as civilized society to remain ever under the regimen of their barbarous ancestors." - Jefferson to H. Tompkinson (AKA Samuel Kercheval), July 12, 1816

Reply   Options 

From: Equality4ALL (KINGPACO2) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostOct-8 7:37 PM 
To: All  (2 of 26) 
 104580.2 in reply to 104580.1 
The nine justices on Tuesday heard a narrower but potentially more practical question for LGBTQ interests: Does a 1964 federal law that prohibits sex discrimination in the workplace cover bias arising from an individual's sexual orientation or gender identity?
The tenor of the justices' questions -- preoccupied at times with shared bathrooms and showers -- suggested a break with the steady pattern of advancing gay rights.

"I am certainly not an advocate for frequent and untried changes in laws and constitutions. I think moderate imperfections had better be borne with; because, when once known, we accommodate ourselves to them, and find practical means of correcting their ill effects. But I know also, that laws and institutions must go hand in hand with the progress of the human mind. As that becomes more developed, more enlightened, as new discoveries are made, new truths disclosed, and manners and opinions change with the change of circumstances, institutions must advance also, and keep pace with the times. We might as well require a man to wear still the coat which fitted him when a boy, as civilized society to remain ever under the regimen of their barbarous ancestors." - Jefferson to H. Tompkinson (AKA Samuel Kercheval), July 12, 1816

To: Equality4ALL (KINGPACO2) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 26) 
 104580.3 in reply to 104580.1 

Things have changed.  We all are going to be very disappointed with future decisions of this far right wing supreme court.  Bet on it.

To: Equality4ALL (KINGPACO2) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 26) 
 104580.4 in reply to 104580.2 

I can only cringe on how our civil rights will be denied in the future, if this decision goes as expected.

regards,

Pat  cool

Harry Truman

Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in fear."
[Special Message to the Congress on the Internal Security of the United States, August 8, 1950]

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it - Samuel Clemens

“The mind of a bigot is like the pupil of the eye. The more light you shine on it, the more it will contract.”

Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. - Aldous Huxley

From: Equality4ALL (KINGPACO2) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostOct-9 2:44 PM 
To: Ihatecons  (5 of 26) 
 104580.5 in reply to 104580.3 

Agree 100%. Unless Roberts starts showing he isn't political. The SC was a huge rallying cry for me in 2016. That Trump would stack the courts. But still enough Dems in 3 states acted like asses and now we have RW courts!

From: Equality4ALL (KINGPACO2) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostOct-9 2:45 PM 
To: Pat (Pat012)  (6 of 26) 
 104580.6 in reply to 104580.4 

You and I both. Thankfully, in most of NY anyway, I don't see this affecting us. But the rest of the country...

To: Equality4ALL (KINGPACO2) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (7 of 26) 
 104580.7 in reply to 104580.6 

Yes, the denial of civil rights is a goal of the right wing.  When they deny the rights of one group, they are proving that they are no different then the NAZI government of Germany.

regards,

Pat  cool

Harry Truman

Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in fear."
[Special Message to the Congress on the Internal Security of the United States, August 8, 1950]

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it - Samuel Clemens

“The mind of a bigot is like the pupil of the eye. The more light you shine on it, the more it will contract.”

From: Equality4ALL (KINGPACO2) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostOct-10 12:20 PM 
To: Pat (Pat012)  (8 of 26) 
 104580.8 in reply to 104580.7 

When all you care about is straight white Christian men...

To: Equality4ALL (KINGPACO2) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (9 of 26) 
 104580.9 in reply to 104580.8 

What makes you think they care about them?

regards,

Pat  cool

Harry Truman

To: Equality4ALL (KINGPACO2) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (10 of 26) 
 104580.10 in reply to 104580.5 

We're screwed.  And I am very, very worried about how the SC will vote when Trump's lawsuits hit the high court.

Navigate this discussion: 1-10 11-20 21-26
Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.