CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery

Hosted by CWhalley

LifeRing Recovery: a self-help alternative for recovery from alcoholism and other chemical dependency. Group support for abstinence from alcohol and “drugs” by empowering the sober self within you. Completely secular: no prayers, Higher Powers or Steps.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Rae returning    Sobriety/Recovery Journals

Started 6/17/08 by Rae (raeanne50); 38196 views.
cookly

May-28

Hello everyone, just popping in to say hi. I've stayed sober and the blessings just keep on coming. 

My cat Fiona had three babies in March, in my linen closet which I relinquished to her. I sold one and kept two, so now I have Momma Fiona, a black male with a crooked tail, Rocky, and a tabby girl named Iris. It has been such joy to watch these babies grow. I have turned into that woman.. the one in the big house on the corner with lots of cats and a garden.  

I also have a housemate ! My friend left her spouse due to his alcoholism and moved in here a month ago. In lieu of rent, she helps in the house and yard. It's working out pretty well. The house is big enough to afford privacy for each of us  and she understands I have high need for aloneness. She's saving for her own place but will stay here for the summer, and its working out nicely. 

No contact at all with my daughter..her b/d, my b/d, Mother's Day and Christmas have come and gone with nary a word. But somehow, its okay. I know she's out there living a good life and I'm content with that, possibly even staying sober because of it, not in spite of it. I'm much happier without the incessant worry I'll say something wrong and set her off, scolding me and getting offended at things that leave me confused. I have had enough of her abuse. 

I hope everyone is managing alright, I've missed you ! 

love to all, Rae  

Brian (BrianB125)

May-28

Hi Rae,

Things sound great.  I've been working on my garden in West Virginia.  Deer, I think, ate my first planting to tomatoes.  My neighbor told me deer love tomatoes - which seems right since they left everything else alone.  I put up a security camera to see if I can see how they get in.  I have a seven foot fence around the garden.  I don't know what I'll do if they jump it.  I've never had this problem before.  I also put a Japanese carp kite on the edge of the garden to see if that scares them.  The problems I have since I stopped drinking!

Brian

cookly

May-28

Good luck with the deer fence. The kite sound like a good plan, not sure of the seven foot fence though, those buggers can fly. My friend in Victoria has battled deer in her garden for decades, and this is what she has learned. She happened to notice they avoid the cluttered areas, they don't like pots and tools and stuff lying around. So now, she strategically places such items in the spots they jump into, and she swears it works. Not sure I'd like the clutter though..

Rae sunflower

Brian (BrianB125)

May-28

Clutter doesn't bother me, you should see my shop.  So I'll give this a try.

MaryLouise3

Jun-2

Good to hear from you again, Rae, and I wish I could have cats as well as dogs. I'm not going there because we have feral cats with feline Aids in the village, and I also don't want the dozens of small indigenous birds in the garden hunted down. Love to Momma Fiona, Rocky and Iris.

A housemate sounds good too, plenty of aloneness and company when needed. I'm sorry to hear about the estrangement from your daughter but one of these days things might change there. And as you say, a separation or breathing space can be a relief.

Carrying on carrying on here -- hoping for a vivid show of red aloes this winter in my garden. No sign yet of vaccines, so we stay in lockdown -- I have some freelance work so just tightening belts and waiting for a better economic climate. The quiet country life and garden suits me anyhow --

Stay safe and take care my friend

xMary

MaryLouise3

Jun-2

A Japanese carp kite as a deterrent fills me with envy. So creative!

xM

Brian (BrianB125)

Jun-2

Well, I just like the kites - if they scare the deer that's an added bonus.  We have so much wind that they rarely last a full season.

cookly

Jun-3

Hello Mary,

Still in lockdown huh? Things are easing here in that regard.. we are waiting to hear if our summer activities like fairs and music concerts will go ahead. I sure hope so. But like you, I'm pretty content with a quiet home life. 

Summer arrived abruptly; yesterday it was 37 C here so no more gardening in the afternoon, if I don't get out there before noon, its evening work only. I love the heat when it first arrives but I'll be complaining and suffering by August..still infinitely better than winter.  

Week three of having a housemate. Do I make it sound like a prison sentence ?  After so many years of living alone its an adjustment, but she respects my privacy well and has a pleasant, easy going nature. Turns out I startle very easily though and since she moves silently I'm often startled when she suddenly appears in the doorway,(unlike men and children you can hear a mile away). She offered to wear a collar and a bell like the cats ! We finally settled on whistling.. she whistles a few notes to warn me. That worked for a day, then I startled at the sound of the whistle. So we're working on that. She loves all the animals and they love her.

This year's garden is smallish; I have marijuana and tomatoes and herbs, chives, parsley,basil, dill, fennel, lots of aloe I'm separating and selling,tons of annual flowers in pots on the deck and porch. It's just enough to keep me busy and interested. 

The rewards of sobriety are profound and keep on coming. Every aspect of my life is infinitely better, all stemming from a healthier brain and a change in thinking patterns. During early sobriety I've tended to switch to smoking pot but now I am preferring clarity over both drugs. Its a novelty and I love the feeling. I cope so much better with life's little challenges. I have discarded the word 'problem' . I have no problems now, only situations, and those are easily enough dealt with. 

It was lovely to hear from you Mary. Lots of love, Rae 

MaryLouise3

Jun-8

That whistling made me laugh!

Rae, I have such good news today because out of the blue Pfizer vaccines arrived here and I have had my first jab, along with my partner (we both  work and do voluntary aid with vulnerable and under-privileged communities so needed to be vaccinated). My second jab will be 20 July -- I wasn't expecting anyone here to get vaccinated for months so feel such relief.

How I'd love to come over and sit in your garden!

xxMary

And good to hear you are enjoying the sobriety -- I had a sense of  finally getting clarity and stability in sobriety in my second year and not needing anything else. That was a breakthrough  and after that it all got easier.

Brian (BrianB125)

Jun-9

Great news Mary, that must be a big relief.  We finally ventured out to eat indoors at a restaurant for the first time in a year.  And I'm hoping to go to New York City in the fall.  Back to close to normal at last.

Brian