PAULFROMNYS

Bible talk

Hosted by PAULFROMNYS|Malachi 3:16-18/Bible talk

Based on Malachi 3:16-18 I believe the Lord will harken to us as we consider his word together.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Thine is the Kingdom #9   T. Austin Sparks

Started Oct-5 by PAULFROMNYS; 112 views.
PAULFROMNYS

Oct-5

You will be able to tell from that whether you are in the Kingdom. It is so easy to talk about the Kingdom, and to say "Thy kingdom come", and "Thine is the kingdom", but the fiercest battle that ever raged in the history of this world rages over that Kingdom.

THE KINGDOM OF GOD AND THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN

Perhaps some of you are not quite sure of the difference between the Kingdom of God and the Kingdom of heaven. I have often been asked that question. Well, I think the answer is quite simple. If you look in the Gospel by Matthew, and remember that that Gospel was written for Hebrews, the phrase is usually "The kingdom of heaven", but if you look where it was written in Greek you will find that it is "The kingdom of God". This is not always so, because there were always some Hebrews even amongst the Greeks, but it's a general distinction. To the Jews it was the Kingdom of heaven. Well, the Jews understood heaven, and the Greeks did not, but they quite understood deities. They had 'gods many', and 'god' was a kind of comprehensive term for them. So "The Kingdom of heaven" was all right for Jews, for they understood, and the Greeks understood "The Kingdom of God".

Well, that is only a technicality, and it has not helped you very much, but it is part of the answer, at least, to what is the difference between the Kingdom of heaven and the Kingdom of God.

PAULFROMNYS

Oct-5

Fred, I thought this series about the Kingdom would especially find expression through your input. 

Fred (fnorthrup)

Oct-19

This is indeed a worthy subject to study in the Scriptures. We were just appreciating this Lord's day at the Lord's table that we should enjoy the bread and the cup with the Kingdom in view because of Matthew 26:29

Matthew 26:29 26:29  But I say to you, I shall by no means drink of this product of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in the kingdom of My Father.

Many think that when the Lord returns, it's off to heaven for eternity. No, He is returning to conclude this age, and usher in the age of the Kingdom. The literal translation is "Kingdom of the Heavens." This is not to go to heaven, it to bring heaven to earth, i.e., heavens rule and heavens atmosphere to the earth. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth. 

While people dream of going to heaven, God is dreaming of coming to earth. The irony.

PAULFROMNYS

Oct-19

This is the millennium? 

Randy (REVSRE)

Oct-19

When Jesus used the phrase “The Kingdom of God”, exactly what did he mean?  We need to learn clearly what Jesus was saying and what it means to us.  Was He was using the contemporary idea of the Jewish King, a promised “David” to restore rule to Israel?  I feel there was much more, that is what this lesson will discuss.

Kingdom of Heaven is a Jewish phrase changing the Name of God for the place where He dwells, they did not say His name. It is in fact the same thing as the Kingdom of God.

Matthew used a play on words that said something very new, very different, but the Jews had to be taught to understand it. The kingdom was by God’s Grace through Faith in the hearts of men.  Let me put this the other way to I hope help you see my point.  What if John and Jesus preached, “Change the way you think and come near for the indwelling power of the Holy Spirit”.   I not only think they would not listen, they may have stoned them.  But that is just what He said.

Matthew records Jesus speaking in Jewish terms to a Jewish audience and he made a play on what they knew to teach them more.   The word translated kingdom means the royal power of the king, the authority to rule This is the millennium the Kingdom itself is future, our Kingdom Authority in CHrist IS NOW!! There are many who say there are differences in “The Gospel” Jesus gospel, Peters gospel, Paul’s Gospel, Luke’s gospel, There is only one: Turn from Sin and trust in and obey God and you will receive the Royal Power of the Indwelling Holy Spirit.   You have the royal authority of God!

The verse Showing where John the Baptist and Jesus start teaching of a Kingdom is:  Mat 3:2  "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand."

Mat 4:17  From that time Jesus began to preach and say, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand."

The content of this verse is not clearly seen in our modern translations. “Repent” is not complete in its meaning as far as the Greek word shows, it means more change the way you think, change your mind. “Kingdom” is the royal authority to rule, the power of God in the hearts of men to serve and rule with Him. The two centers, sin and salvation, are seen in this verse.(1)  Man of sin must change the way he thinks (Stop disobeying God!) to receive the salvation of God, the Kingdom, (The indwelling power of the Holy Spirit in this life and a royal priesthood in the coming Kingdom). 

The idea of change the way you think is not new to this verse:

Exo_19:5  'Now then, if you will indeed obey My voice and keep My covenant, then you shall be My own possession among all the peoples, for all the earth is Mine;

Lev_22:31  "So you shall keep My commandments, and do them; I am the LORD.

Lev_25:18  'You shall thus observe My statutes and keep My judgments, so as to carry them out, that you may live securely on the land.

1Jn 2:3  By this we know that we have come to know Him, if we keep His commandments.

And John said,  As for me I baptizes with water; Jesus will baptize with the Spirit. He will cause his Spirit and the Spirits gifts to come upon his followers (Act_1:8), be poured out on them (Act_2:17, Act_2:33), fall upon them (Act_10:44; Act_11:15).   e-sword, Bakers NT Commentary Luke 3:16  (William Hendriksen, 1982)   (2)

Luk 3:16  John answered and said to them all, "As for me, I baptize you with water; but One is coming who is mightier than I, and I am not fit to untie the thong of His sandals; He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

In the Old Testament God said hear my voice and keep my commandments and I will be you God you will be my people.  There has always been only one Gospel one way of salvation. Only a remnant of Israel was true to God, only the Remnant is the “True Israel”, and they are saved the same way every one of all time are saved BY GOD’S Grace by Faith.  Jesus and John did not say something new, they said something different from the common thought of a kingdom of Israel.  They said change the way you think and come near to be joined to the royal power of God.

It may help us to do this if we first ask ourselves what questions would naturally arise in the minds of the more thoughtful of the people, when they heard the announcement, "Come near for The kingdom of heaven." It was evidently, to such persons the Lord addressed Himself. (6)

The word translated “Kingdom” is βασιλει´α (basileia - Phonetic: bas-il-i'-ah). The Greek speaking people of the early Church would know βασιλει´α was an abstract  idea meaning the royal authority of a king.

The Idea of discussing a “Kingdom” sounds easy, but, we are dealing with:

A Theocracy when God ruled

A Monarchy when Kings rule

The authority of the King to rule in the hearts of Christians, A Royal Priesthood.

A Millennial Kingdom yet to come.

Each is part of the story and affects the events in the others.

When Christ began teaching He presented the Idea of the kingdom authority (βασιλει´α) of God. All through His ministry He teaches of the kingdom authority (βασιλει´α) of God. The question we are left with is what is the kingdom authority? In this teaching to what is He referring?  The word for kingdom (βασιλει´α) refers to the royal power, the authority to rule. Such a ruling power is a government or at least the governing of a people.  If we look at all the references in just the NT to kingdom they can be very confusing if you translate βασιλει´α to mean the physical realm of a King.  I want to pose some ideas that I hope can explain what we may learn from understanding this Kingdom authority.

The Self-Existent Eternal Sovereign God is the royal power, the authority to rule. The kingdom of God is the Self-Existent rule of God over a people HE chooses and that chose Him. 

The First Century Church saw a person’s responsibility as a personal responsibility to God. The Old Testament says about 79 times something very near, “Hear my words (voice, commandments, instructions) and keep my commandments,(Law, Word) and I will be your GOD and you will be My people.  When Jesus came He said “Change your mind” or “Change the way you think”, in other words stop disobeying me and ”Hear my voice, keep my commandments” Come near for the royal authori
...[Message truncated]
View Full Message
PAULFROMNYS

Oct-20

I think the major thought is expressed in:  I am the vine, you are the branches.  Every consideration of GOD resting in the "I" of every man ever rests in the same power revealed in Matthew 26:35.  Every consideration of GOD is now in the person and name of His Son, which is His name, which is also the only reality of the Holy Spirit to men. = our Lord Jesus Christ.   I believe the best understanding of repentance is out of yourself into me = the Lord Jesus Christ.  Then by the operation of GOD our every consideration is: who we are in Him.   The idea of being joined with those responding to the same power is at the heart of GODs current dealings with us IMO.

Fred (fnorthrup)

Oct-20

PAULFROMNYS said:

This is the millennium? 

Yes, the kingdom of the heavens exists today as a reality to those who abide in the Lord, but the millennium will be the manifestation. In the same respect in that Christ was in the Father and the Father was in Him therefore with Him was the reality of the kingdom. But no one could see the kingdom until the mount of transfiguration.  Then that which was a reality within Him was outwardly manifested, the manifestation of the kingdom.

Matthew 16:28  Truly I say to you, There are some of those standing here who shall by no means taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom.

Matthew 17:1   And after six days Jesus took with Him Peter and James and John his brother, and brought them up to a high mountain privately.
17:2   And He was transfigured before them, and His face shone like the sun, and His garments became as white as the light.

Fred (fnorthrup)

Oct-20

Very good essay brother. Have you ever connected "the kingdom of the heavens" (Gr. literal) to Daniel?

Daniel  2:44   And in the days of those kings the God of the heavens will raise up a kingdom which will never be destroyed, and its reign will not be left to another people; it will crush and put an end to all these kingdoms; and it will stand forever.

Daniel  4:26   And in that it was commanded that the stump of roots of the tree be left, your kingdom will be assured to you after you have come to know that the heavens do rule.

Daniel 7:27   And the kingdom and dominion and the greatness of the kingdoms under the whole heaven will be given to the people of the saints of the Most High; His kingdom is an eternal kingdom, and all the dominions will serve and obey Him.

Just to point out that the heavens ruling, the kingdom of the heavens was not something completely new in Matthew. The prophet Daniel definitely saw the kingdom of the heavens.

Another point which seems important is that the sermon on the mount was not spoken specifically to the Jews (the crowds), but to His disciples. In other words, those among the Jews who followed Him and took His word.

Matthew 5:1 And when He saw the crowds, He went up to the mountain. And after He sat down, His disciples came to Him.
 5:2   And opening His mouth, He taught them, saying,
 5:3   Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of the heavens

Randy (REVSRE)

Oct-20

If there is something in the wording Kingdom of Heaven different from Kingdom of GOD, I have not found it. I feel it is just the Hebrew idea of not saying the name of God thus using where He is in place of his name. Daniel was a great Hebrew prophet and thus would not say that blessed Name. The idea of reverence for that name goes way back. 

BUT NOW I WILL ASK  "Do we reverence that HOLY NAME? 

I have listened to Christians argue over how to say that name, What it means, When to use it.

THE BIBLE TRADITION SAYS you sat that HOLY NAME Adoni (Saviour). I do not find any place Where we are given permission to misuse that name.  Jeusu gave us permission to Call HIM FATHER but, to still reverence even that NAME.

Fred (fnorthrup)

Oct-21

Randy (REVSRE) said:

If there is something in the wording Kingdom of Heaven different from Kingdom of GOD, I have not found it.

My understanding is that the term "kingdom of God" is a general term referring to God's general reign from eternity past to eternity future. The kingdom of the heavens is a specific section within the kingdom of God, a section composed only of the church today and the heavenly part of the coming millennial kingdom. Hence, in the New Testament, especially in Mark, Luke and John, the kingdom of the heavens, a section of the kingdom of God, is also called "the kingdom of God." In the Old Testament the kingdom of God, generally, already existed with the nation of Israel (Matt. 21:43); the kingdom of the heavens, specifically, had still not come, and it only drew near when John the Baptist came.

Matthew  3:1 Now in those days John the Baptist appeared, preaching in the wilderness of Judea
 3:2   And saying, Repent, for the kingdom of the heavens has drawn near.

Matthew 11:11  Truly I say to you, Among those born of women there has not arisen one greater than John the Baptist, yet he who is least in the kingdom of the heavens is greater than he.
11:12  But from the days of John the Baptist until now, the kingdom of the heavens is taken by violence, and violent men seize it.