PAULFROMNYS

Bible talk

Hosted by PAULFROMNYS|Malachi 3:16-18/Bible talk

Based on Malachi 3:16-18 I believe the Lord will harken to us as we consider his word together.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

GRMD #153   T. Austin Sparks

Started Oct-14 by PAULFROMNYS; 87 views.
PAULFROMNYS

Oct-14

Now it is quite clear, from the verses we have just read, that the Apostle was speaking of the Church in more than one conception. He was not saying to Timothy, who was in the church in Ephesus, and had a great responsibility given him by the Apostle in relation to that church, 'Now Ephesus is the church of the living God.' He was not saying that any local church is THE Church. But, to turn it round the other way, he was saying that THE Church as a whole should find its representation in every local church, that what is true of the whole Church, in the mind of God, ought to be true wherever it is found in a local expression. Any local church should be a representation of THE Church as a whole. And then the Apostle brings it down to the individuals, the persons, and, in effect, clearly says, 'Now, any one of you individuals can show what the Church is meant to be, as a whole, or else you can let it down. You are not just individual Christians - yours is a Church responsibility!'

Fred (fnorthrup)

Oct-15

PAULFROMNYS said:

But, to turn it round the other way, he was saying that THE Church as a whole should find its representation in every local church, that what is true of the whole Church, in the mind of God, ought to be true wherever it is found in a local expression.

What John saw in Revelation 1-3 was seven golden lampstands. Except in negative things, they we identical. Also, they were local, meaning the boundary of the church is the boundary of a city. 

Revelation  1:11   Saying, What you see write in a scroll and send it to the seven churches: to Ephesus and to Smyrna and to Pergamos and to Thyatira and to Sardis and to Philadelphia and to Laodicea.

One church is equal to one city. This is consistent throughout the New Testament. This is what is meant by "local church." It means the boundary of the church is the boundary of the city. Not a denomination, not a street, not a house, but the city in which the believers live. All the regenerated believers in Ephesus are the church in Ephesus. All the regenerated believers in Smyrna are the church in Smyrna. This is ordained of God. 

So the statement above is correct. Every local church is a local expression of the universal church.

PAULFROMNYS

Oct-15

Fred shared:   So the statement above is correct. Every local church is a local expression of the universal church.

Yes, but the division and presence of Ephesians 4:14 is the work of another spirit to keep the majesty from manifesting.  Praise GOD they are defeated foes.

Fred (fnorthrup)

Oct-19

PAULFROMNYS said:

Yes, but the division and presence of Ephesians 4:14 is the work of another spirit to keep the majesty from manifesting.  Praise GOD they are defeated foes.

Please note that the churches in Revelation 1-3 with the exception of Smyrna and Philadelphia had many problems, and yet they are genuine local churches. What designates them as local churches is not their state of perfection, but their content and standing. Their content is gold (the divine nature through regeneration), and their standing is the ground of the locality in which they live.

The saints, the constituents of the church must be begotten of God, and they must live somewhere on the planet. By dropping everything except the ground of locality, the oneness of the Spirit is preserved and division, which divides the Body is avoided. In all honesty, I do not think that TA Sparks ever saw this most crucial aspect of the church. If he did, he did not agree with it. This is a pity.

1 Corinthians  1:1   Paul, a called apostle of Christ Jesus through the will of God, and Sosthenes the brother,
 1:2   To the church of God which is in Corinth, to those who have been sanctified in Christ Jesus, the called saints, with all those who call upon the name of our Lord Jesus Christ in every place, who is theirs and ours
:

The church of God is the universal church. The church in Corinth is the local expression of the church. It would be composed of all in Corinth who have believed and called upon the name of the Lord.

PAULFROMNYS

Oct-19

you said:   The saints, the constituents of the church must be begotten of God, and they must live somewhere on the planet. By dropping everything except the ground of locality, the oneness of the Spirit is preserved and division, which divides the Body is preserved. In all honesty, I do not think that TA Sparks ever saw this most crucial aspect of the church. If he did, he did not agree with it. This is a pity.

TAS most definitely saw, and agrees with above, as do I.  Sparks brought a clearer understanding to me regarding the reality we experience now when he stated:  "The church is born again believers where ever they are found."

In reply toRe: msg 5
PAULFROMNYS

Oct-19

Do you see the 7 churches in Revelation primarily as the church unfolding through time?

Fred (fnorthrup)

Oct-19

I meant to say, division which divides the Body is avoided.

PAULFROMNYS

Oct-19

I knew that, I missed the wording, but knew what you were saying :)

Fred (fnorthrup)

Oct-19

I believe the seven churches in Revelation were actual local churches, but also a sign, a type of the churches history, based on Revelation 1:1.

Revelation  1:1   The revelation of Jesus Christ which God gave to Him to show to His slaves the things that must quickly take place; and He made it known by signs, sending it by His angel to His slave John,

So the lampstand is a sign of great significance in the Bible.

PAULFROMNYS

Oct-19

If you look at the deeds of Nicolaitans became doctrine from the first angel to the third, consider that in light of 10:7  but in the days of the voice of the seventh angel, when he shall begin to sound, the mystery of God should be finished, as he hath declared to his servants the prophets.