PAULFROMNYS

Bible talk

Hosted by PAULFROMNYS|Malachi 3:16-18/Bible talk

Based on Malachi 3:16-18 I believe the Lord will harken to us as we consider his word together.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

GRMD #154   T. Austin Sparks

Started Oct-20 by PAULFROMNYS; 26 views.
PAULFROMNYS

Oct-20

What Is The Church?

This matter is of very great importance in the connection with which we are occupied - God's first supreme thought concerning the Church. What is the Church? That is the first question. I think Paul very definitely gives us the answer in a particular term that he uses. "Therefore I endure all things for the elect's sake..." (2 Timothy 2:10). If you look at the context, you will see that the Apostle takes that back to what he here calls "before times eternal". So the Church is something which is 'elect before times eternal', something quite clearly defined as an elect people, an elect body, which has its roots in eternity past, and therefore is not historical. It is eternal, and therefore it must be spiritual. We may just note one other relevant verse in this connection: "Who saved us, and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before times eternal..." (2 Tim. 1:9). "Purpose... grace... given us in Christ Jesus before times eternal". So the very first thing is that the Church, according to God's mind, is altogether different from, and above, anything that is historical - anything, that is, that has its beginnings and course and development in time. This is something which has its beginnings in eternity past, and its course is ordered according to the purpose conceived in eternity past. This is something not constituted by man, not brought into being by any human effort whatsoever: this is something which is constituted by the Holy Spirit, the eternal Spirit. And, as we were seeing earlier, that which is constituted by the Holy Spirit is essentially a spiritual thing. "That which is born of the Spirit is spirit."

Fred (fnorthrup)

Oct-20

PAULFROMNYS said:

"Who saved us, and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before times eternal..." (2 Tim. 1:9).

This is a great point. It has never occurred to many believers that we were saved and called with a purpose in view. Many, if not most believers think that God's purpose is to make them happy. It has never occurred to them that there is something God desires, something that makes Him happy. According to the revelation of the whole Bible, God is a homeless bachelor. He is looking for a dwelling place (the church) and a bride (also the church).

Contrary to current popular Christian teaching, the Bible does not conclude with God's people living ecstatically in heaven lavished with material decadence, but with a wedding.

Isaiah 66:1 Thus says Jehovah, / Heaven is My throne, / And the earth the footstool for My feet. / Where then is the house that you will build for Me, / And where is the place of My rest?

Matthew  8:20   And Jesus said to him, The foxes have holes, and the birds of heaven have roosts, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay His head.

Hosea  2:16   And in that day, declares Jehovah, / You will call Me My Husband / And will no longer call Me Baali.

Revelation 19:7   Let us rejoice and exult, and let us give the glory to Him, for the marriage of the Lamb has come, and His wife has made herself ready.

I really enjoyed brother REVSRE's essay on the kingdom. We need to repent which means to have a new thought. It means to have a turn in our thinking toward God and away for our personal needs  and enquire of Him what He desires of us. I believe that He would honor and answer such a repentance.

PAULFROMNYS

Oct-20

Yes, I had this thought recently concerning:  For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:  but God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; and base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: that no flesh should glory in his presence.

Notice the calling here = confounding things which are mighty and wise through the use of things which are not to end the reigning of things that are.  David was mighty in GOD, but was brought to nought by Nathan of whom we know nothing.   If then ye have judgments of things pertaining to this life, set them to judge who are least esteemed in the church.  So there is an order established among believers, but that this order in not violated by any status belonging to man((which GOD may well establish in eternity)) he has these elected ones bereft of any such consideration until the day GOD shows who is what.

Fred (fnorthrup)

Oct-20

Amen we are vessels. God uses whatever vessels He choses. Often, God choses those whom we would not chose and rejects those whom we think are the best material. In Acts there is a subtle comparison between James and Paul.

James, the natural brother of the Lord and by reputation an uber pious person, somehow emerged as the leading brother in the church in Jerusalem, at the head of "thousands of Jews who had believed."

Acts 21:18  And on the following day Paul went in with us to James, and all the elders were present.

Acts 21:20  And when they heard it, they glorified God and said to him, You observe, brother, how many thousands there are among the Jews who have believed; and all are zealous for the law.

It seems obvious that God's revelation and God's move were with Paul. Many at the time, and today do not understand Paul's epistles, but treasure James epistle because it appeals to the natural man and the natural religious concept. 

2 Peter  3:15   And count the long-suffering of our Lord to be salvation, even as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given to him, wrote to you,
 3:16   As also in all his letters, speaking in them concerning these things, in which some things are hard to understand, which the unlearned and unstable twist, as also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction.

Paul went to Jerusalem in Acts 21 because of the trouble caused by the followers of James in the churches of the Gentiles. This fact is indisputable.

Paul for sure was a chosen vessel unto honor and glory.

Acts  9:15   But the Lord said to him, Go, for this man is a chosen vessel to Me, to bear My name before both the Gentiles and kings and the sons of Israel;

Romans  9:21   Or does not the potter have authority over the clay to make out of the same lump one vessel unto honor and another unto dishonor?
 9:22   And what if God, wishing to demonstrate His wrath and make His power known, endured with much long-suffering vessels of wrath fitted for destruction,
 9:23   In order that He might make known the riches of His glory upon vessels of mercy, which He had before prepared unto glory

There is no record of how James ascended form an unbeliever to the leading brother in the church in Jerusalem.

John 7:5 For not even His brothers believed into Him.