PAULFROMNYS

Bible talk

Hosted by PAULFROMNYS|Malachi 3:16-18/Bible talk

Based on Malachi 3:16-18 I believe the Lord will harken to us as we consider his word together.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

GRMD #159   T. Austin Sparks

Started Oct-25 by PAULFROMNYS; 35 views.
PAULFROMNYS

Oct-25

For What Does The Church Exist?

Well, that is the answer, very inadequately, very briefly, to the question, What is the Church? The second question is: For what does the Church exist? We have it stated for us by Paul here, have we not, in the very words that we have read: "...how men ought to behave themselves in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and stay of the truth" - and there ought to be no full period there, only a pause to take a breath - "And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness; He Who was manifested in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached among the nations, believed on in the world, received up in glory" (1 Tim. 3:15-16). That is the deposit in the Church; that is the testimony of Jesus. For that the Church exists. It is to that the Apostle refers, you notice, more than once, when he says: "O Timothy, guard that which is committed unto thee..." (1 Tim. 6:20; 2 Tim. 1:14). 'O Timothy, guard the deposit, the trust...' The Church is the repository of the testimony of Jesus.

What is the testimony of Jesus? There are, of course, certain statements about it here, in the passage we have just read. But I am not going to take up these different clauses, because I am not at the moment concerned with Christian doctrine, or with the doctrine of the Church. I am occupied with the Church itself. But I turn you now to the Book of the Revelation, for, as we have said in our last chapter, the writings of John, written after Paul had finished his work and gone to glory, related to the full development of this very thing whose beginnings Paul had witnessed. The Book of the Revelation is peculiarly appropriate to this state of spiritual departure and declension, and you find that the all-governing thing of the whole book is this one phrase: "the testimony of Jesus".

Fred (fnorthrup)

Oct-25

TA Sparks said:

For What Does The Church Exist?

To put it simply, the church exists to fulfill God's desire in creating man. God created man to be a corporate expression of Himself.

Genesis  1:26   And God said, Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of heaven and over the cattle and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps upon the earth.

God made man in His image, like a glove is made in the image of a hand, to be a vessel to contain Him. This is the house of the living God.

God made man according to His likeness, to live God out through his humanity thus living the life of a God-man. This is the testimony of Jesus.

God gave man dominion, to reign with God and thus deal with God's enemy, Satan, and recover the earth. This is the kingdom. 

The church exists to contain God, express God, and represent God, corporately. This is the Body of Christ, the bride of Christ, and will consummate in the New Jerusalem. Praise the Lord!!!

PAULFROMNYS

Oct-26

I'd say the church is created to complete the eternal relationship of the Son and GOD = love.