PAULFROMNYS

Bible talk

Hosted by PAULFROMNYS|Malachi 3:16-18/Bible talk

Based on Malachi 3:16-18 I believe the Lord will harken to us as we consider his word together.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Thine is the Kingdom #44   T. Austin Sparks

Started Nov-18 by PAULFROMNYS; 28 views.
PAULFROMNYS

Nov-18

3. THE KING ANOINTED

The third thing: on the ground of His committal, the anointing by the Holy Spirit.

Anointing in the Bible is particularly related to vocation. It is the giving of the Holy Spirit on the ground of total consecration. Now there are not two works of the Holy Spirit; that is, there is not just a Holy Spirit to be a Christian and then another Holy Spirit to be a Christian worker. The Holy Spirit is one, and with one object. He is only given for vocation. You know that that is definitely stated in the Book of the Acts. A little boy was once asked if his father was a Christian, and he replied: 'Yes, I think Father is a Christian, but he is not working at it now!' In England just now there are more than half a million unemployed people, but there is no such thing in the mind of God as an unemployed Christian. The Corinthians were not very good Christians, but even to them the Apostle said: "Now he that stablisheth us with you in Christ, and anointed us, is God" (2 Corinthians 1:21).

The anointing of the Holy Spirit is unto vocation. I cannot tell you what it meant to me when I came to realize this many years ago. I wanted to be a servant of God, but there were all kinds of things that made me realize that I was not fit to be. The work of God is a very great thing. I had known of the gifts that are necessary for the work of God, but I was just without all the things that I felt were necessary. I had never had any of the advantages which I thought were necessary. I was very fond of reading biographies, and I tried to read the biographies of men who had been greatly used of God, but as I took them up I had not got very far before I read that this man who had been so greatly used had a very wonderful Christian home. His father and his grandfather were very godly people, and he inherited some of their godliness, and a great ability to be a servant of God. I would not like to tell you how many biographies were never finished! I said: 'That is not me. I can never be a great servant of God!' Then I discovered the Holy Spirit and I came to see that He makes up for all that we have not got which is necessary to God. The Holy Spirit is the EXTRA to me. He is other than I am, and all that was required of me was that I should present my body a living sacrifice, and the Holy Spirit would do the rest. I cannot tell you what that discovery meant to me! Now, please do not misunderstand me. I am not saying that I have become a great servant of the Lord, but I am saying that if the Lord has been able to do anything at all with me, it was the Holy Spirit that did it, and not I. It is the anointing that qualifies us for vocation.

There is a wonderful statement even about Jesus, and I think it is very wonderful when you think who Jesus was. It says: "Jesus of Nazareth, how that, God anointed him with the Holy Spirit and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil" (Acts 10:38). Even Jesus depended upon the anointing, and it was after the anointing, and not until then, that Jesus embarked upon the mission of God. At the beginning of his Gospel Mark says: "Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of God, and saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe in the gospel" (Mark 1:14-15). It was immediately after the baptism and the anointing that He began His ministry concerning the Kingdom of God.

Now a few words on the fourth thing, and then I close for the present.

Fred (fnorthrup)

Nov-18

TA Sparks said:

Now there are not two works of the Holy Spirit; that is, there is not just a Holy Spirit to be a Christian and then another Holy Spirit to be a Christian worker.

This is a difficult subject for many believers. This is partly due to the influence of the Pentecostal movement. They are somewhat superstitious regarding the Spirit believing that He is a "ghost" who is capriciously and arbitrarily doing nobody knows what, and the Fundamentalist influence, who believe that to even mention the Spirit insults the Person of Christ.

We know from many verses and our own experience that there are not two Spirits but there are two aspects of our experience. For example, 1 Corinthians 12:13 says that in one Spirit we all have been baptized into one Body and given to drink one Spirit. From this  verse we can see:

1. There is one Spirit and one Body. (also Ephesians 4:4) 

2. That experientially, we are both put into this Spirit and given to drink this one Spirit.

3. So there is definitely and inward aspect, we drink. This is for life, to be regenerated unto life and then to grow in life. For this, we need to learn to drink, to come to God as the fountain of living water.

4. When we are baptized into the Spirit, there is and outward aspect for power in service to the Lord, "you shall receive power." 

5. This outward aspect of the Spirit is not upon any individuals, but upon the Body. This means that if we are to experience the outward economical Spirit for God's move, we must be in the Body, the corporate Christ. Any independence or individualism would exclude us from this experience of the Spirit. Christ is not the head of individuals, but the Head of the Body. 

PAULFROMNYS

Nov-18

Like love and marriage, you can't have one without the other.