PAULFROMNYS

Bible talk

Hosted by PAULFROMNYS|Malachi 3:16-18/Bible talk

Based on Malachi 3:16-18 I believe the Lord will harken to us as we consider his word together.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

In the Spirit #3   T. Austin Sparks

Started Aug-18 by PAULFROMNYS; 146 views.
PAULFROMNYS

Aug-18

Peter as a Man in the Spirit

Peter is at Joppa, and Peter is in the Spirit and the Spirit shows Peter something about this man Cornelius away up there, across and up country. The Spirit begins to speak to Peter. Well, Peter's natural mind does come in and begin to argue over that let-down sheet and those unclean creatures. But a man who is in the Spirit will get over his difficulties, his arguments, and will subdue his natural reasonings. The Spirit will master if that man really is seeking to walk in the Spirit. It does not mean that a life in the Spirit never comes up against problems, perplexities or difficulties, that we do not have moments when we stand still and say, "Not so, Lord, nothing like this has ever happened to me, and therefore it cannot happen now". But here is a man who really was at prayer on the housetop, which means he is really reaching out to the Lord for the government of his life, and while the difficulties arise, because he is a man really abandoned to the Lord and living his life in the Spirit, these other things are got over and the Spirit has His way. And Peter and Cornelius are brought together, and we have that tremendous counterpart of Pentecost in the house of Cornelius, and amazingly enough, Peter is the very man who opens the door of the kingdom to the Gentiles. The great further movement of the Spirit of God to bring into being the relationship of Jew and Gentile in one church begins through Peter. It has happened in Jerusalem, the Jewish headquarters; now it is happening in Caesarea among the Gentiles (Acts 10). But this is what happens in a life in the Spirit.

So you go through the Acts and see movements of the Spirit, and you get inside of them and you can see what it means to be in the Spirit, how natural judgments, natural arguing, natural thoughts, even in the realm of spiritual things, are steadily overcome and set aside and ruled out by the Holy Spirit, and the Lord along that line gets so much for others.

And the book of the Revelation is what the Lord is eventually going to get for the others by this operation of the Spirit.

In reply toRe: msg 1
PAULFROMNYS

Aug-18

A People in Perfect Harmony with the Spirit

So you have this repeated phrase: "I was in the Spirit". And what is the culmination? What is the last thing in the Bible and the last thing in the book of the Revelation? "And the Spirit and the bride say, Come." That, of course, has been interpreted by most expositors as the response of the church to the announcement by the Lord, "Behold, I come quickly… And the Spirit and the bride say, Come." I am not sure that that is quite right, there are reasons for questioning that which we will not discuss at the moment. I think it is more this: that the Spirit and the bride are now saying, "Come", to him that hears and him that is thirsty. It is this ministry of a vessel perfectly harmonised with the Spirit.

You see, it is all so true to the principle running right through. The bride represents that which is utterly abandoned to the Lord, to the master, to the head, to the husband - the utterness of abandonment - and the Holy Spirit has been working all through the centuries to get a perfect harmony between the Lord's people and the Lord Himself, so that there is a complete blending of them with the Spirit in His purpose.

In reply toRe: msg 2
PAULFROMNYS

Aug-18

and the Holy Spirit has been working all through the centuries to get a perfect harmony between the Lord's people and the Lord Himself, so that there is a complete blending of them with the Spirit in His purpose.

Referring again to the Old Testament story which we have already mentioned previously, Abraham's servant going for the bride Rebecca for Isaac, you remember the point came when Eleazar asked Rebecca, challenged her, as to where she was going. And then her father put the question to her deliberately: "Wilt thou go with this man?" And she said, "I will go" (Gen. 24:58). If Eleazar represents the Holy Spirit coming from the Father's house to find and bring back a bride for the Son, there has to come a time when a decision is made, out of which decision there is a going with the Spirit which is a progressive oneness and harmonising with the thoughts and purposes of the Spirit concerning the Son. That is a process, it is a long-drawn-out process usually. It is a long journey spiritually. This harmonising of us with the Spirit does not take place all at once. It did not with the apostles, even with Peter, it was a lifelong thing. It is a process, bringing about a perfect accord and harmony between the child of God, the children of God, and the Holy Spirit as to His thoughts for the satisfaction of the Father in the Son. When that perfect accord is secured, then the instrumentality is so one with the Spirit that a very fruitful ministry takes place. The Spirit and the bride say, "Come."

In reply toRe: msg 3
PAULFROMNYS

Aug-18

I think there is something in that in the way of principle for present service. Do you not feel that if the Lord's servant individually, personally, and if the Lord's church were so harmonised with the Holy Spirit as to God's thoughts about His Son, there would be a very much more effective bringing of the unsaved, the needy, those that hear and those that are athirst? Putting it the other way, may it not be that there is such disparity between the ideas of the Lord's servants and the church today in Christian work, and the Holy Spirit's mind and object, that there is ineffectiveness? Well, inasmuch as you and I desire to be the Lord's servants, that is to be of value in ministering spiritual good to others, let us see that that is founded finally and ultimately upon a perfect harmony between us and the Spirit so that the agreement is complete: "The Spirit and the bride say, Come." To whom they say it does not matter at the moment, whether to the Lord or whether to him that hears that is athirst.

The point is that that harmony and agreement between those represented by the bride and the Spirit is essential to bring something about. It is something tremendous in the way of effective principle in fulfilling the purpose of God, and that is where we arrive at the end of everything in the Bible - a harmonising between the Spirit and those whom the Spirit has called, in a great ministry of bringing into the fulnesses of Christ which are going to be ministered even after this dispensation. And, as we have been saying all along, they are going to be ministered by this church, out of this City, but the necessity is for this complete oneness.

In reply toRe: msg 4
PAULFROMNYS

Aug-18

but the necessity is for this complete oneness.

We are probably up against this very law of perfect agreement with the Holy Spirit in some form almost every day of our life. It may bring about those little battles such as Peter had over Cornelius and the Gentiles, those little controversies with the Lord, "Not so, Lord. There has been nothing like this ever before!" And the Lord may have to get over a lot of tradition, a lot of established things, a lot of things that have always been and therefore must always be, over a lot of things that have never been before and therefore ought never to be now. We get fixed, we have so many precedents in our lives, such a lot of background, and it forms a background of controversies. But we come to a place where we are so much in the Spirit that it does not matter. If everything has been like this, the Lord can have it altogether different if He wants to in the future. If nothing has been like this before, the Lord can have all that He wants in the future - a perfectly clear place.

In reply toRe: msg 5
PAULFROMNYS

Aug-18

the Lord can have all that He wants in the future - a perfectly clear place.

You can see in the case of Samuel a most beautiful illustration of this very thing. There was a state of things in which people had no ear to hear what the Spirit was saying or wanting to say. Poor old Eli, the representative of the whole nation, was blind and deaf, he was past it, and so the people were neither hearing nor seeing, and the Lord took a little child, one right from childhood, unspoiled by this tradition. Samuel and David are the only two in the Bible not of the priestly family who wore an ephod. While Samuel was of Levitical family, he was not of priestly family, but it says, "But Samuel ministered before the Lord, being a child, girded with a linen ephod" (1 Sam. 2:18). And you remember the occasion when David wore an ephod (2 Sam. 6:14). David was not of priestly nor Levitical family. But here is one, Samuel, completely out of tradition, and the Lord takes him up. He has nothing to unlearn, he has not a lot of background to be got rid of, the Lord is starting in a very clear place and this one hears what the Spirit says, hears the Lord.

In reply toRe: msg 6
PAULFROMNYS

Aug-18

It has to be like that: that we have nothing in the background that argues with the Lord, that says, "This is how it always has been done and this is the established, recognised thing." The Lord will not have it. He will say, "However true that may be, I am going to do a new thing. Will you let Me do something that has never been done before? Will you stand alone with Me right over against all that?" And then you find the Lord gets a perfectly clear place where, as through a child without a history to get in the way, He gets that way, that channel, where He can come in, and so establish that: "The Lord... let none of his (Samuel's) words fall to the ground" (1 Sam. 3:19). Here is effectiveness right to the letter, every word was effective.

Well, we will not dwell upon that more at the moment. I trust that we are able to see in our hearts that there is a life in the Spirit, and that life in the Spirit has as its object the bringing about of perfection, harmony, between us and the Holy Spirit in His thoughts of the Father concerning the Son. And when that harmony is brought about, ministry is very effectual and very fruitful; nothing falls to the ground. The Spirit and the bride are blended, they have one voice together.

In reply toRe: msg 7
PAULFROMNYS

Aug-18

AMEN, I believe it good to say that:  In the Spirit will ALWAYS be an upholding of what the Word of GOD actually says/means as opposed to the natural mind of man allowing false ways to become the norm.