PAULFROMNYS

Bible talk

Hosted by PAULFROMNYS|Malachi 3:16-18/Bible talk

Based on Malachi 3:16-18 I believe the Lord will harken to us as we consider his word together.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

The Ten Days Prior to Pentecost #3   Topics/belief

Started Aug-21 by PAULFROMNYS; 143 views.
PAULFROMNYS

Aug-21

If we wanted to prove it, we could quite easily do so by going back into the three years of their life with Him to see how He was dealing with them concerning these very things. There is a storm on the lake and the whole question is the question of their faith; that is all. No sooner is His finger, so to speak, put upon the weakness, the flaw, the cause of the trouble, than the ship is at the land. They have been toiling long hours to get there, but no sooner has He put His finger on the trouble and they saw it, the ship is at the land. As soon as the Lord is able to get us to see what the trouble is and we really do see it, that may be the end of the whole struggle, but it is most necessary before ever we come to that for which the Lord has called us. Do not let us be mistaken about that. He has called us to a great purpose, to a life work, but somehow or other we have to get away from ourselves. For all this is just what is coming up from the cesspool of this nature of ours. We have to face it squarely and deal with it once and for all.

I have mentioned various things that might have accounted for a very different issue in the case of these men, and are accounting for postponement in the life of many a child and servant of God.

In reply toRe: msg 1
PAULFROMNYS

Aug-21

The Result of Taking a Positive Attitude

So we pass to the positive side. What was the positive side of this when it emerged on the day of Pentecost? When they had taken responsibility, when this transition had accomplished its purpose or was an accomplished thing and for ten days they got down on their knees and continued in prayer, showing that they were taking a positive responsibility over the whole thing; when they had really got through whatever may have been their difficulties, got through and got over, and the day of Pentecost came, the Spirit was poured out, what did it amount to?

In reply toRe: msg 2
PAULFROMNYS

Aug-21

A New Captivation by Christ

It just amounted, in the first place, to this: a new, mighty captivation by Christ. You cannot have any one of the things which I have mentioned if you are captivated by the Lord. They will all go out. It is the key to everything. If we are occupied with ourselves, our problems, our mystery, our disappointment, our failure, well, we are not occupied with the Lord, that is all. We are certainly not captivated by the Lord. But you see with these men the one thing with them is that they have found a new Christ, a new Lord, and they cannot help themselves in this matter. It is just the Lord.

In reply toRe: msg 3
PAULFROMNYS

Aug-21

It is not a new doctrine that they are preaching, a new teaching or a new interpretation. They are not a bit concerned about a new religion or a new teaching, a new interpretation. They are simply concerned about the Person Himself. The Lord does not want us to be enthusiastic over interpretations of truth, but about Himself.

He is the great Emancipator. As they became captivated in a new way by Him, what a great, complete, release came to them from themselves! What a transcendence took place over themselves and what they were! They were all this - eradication of it has not taken place. The old Peter is still there; he crops up a little bit here and there, and the others too, but there is a wonderful transcendence. Did he deny for fear of his dear life? See whether he is afraid for his life now. "With great boldness gave the apostles witness." He is still capable of the same old fear, but he is transcending himself. They are all there.

In reply toRe: msg 4
PAULFROMNYS

Aug-21

We can sink down into ourselves at any time and be just what we ever were unless the Lord has such a purchase on us that we are lifted out of ourselves. And we can take it as settled as ever anything can be settled, that we will be useless to the Lord until ourselves are transcended. We have to be out of ourselves, on top of ourselves, and the only way of getting on top of ourselves is to be objectively occupied with the Lord. Do see that in the book of the Acts. Whatever comes later of the work of the Lord in us, that is subsequent; but in the book of the Acts it is an objective occupation with the Lord. He is there at the right hand of God exalted. He is there. It is objective. It is a very perilous thing to have anything to do with subjective truth until the objective is very really established.

We have to be taken outside of ourselves with the Lord. That is how they were: completely taken out of themselves, not by an interesting bit of work, a work which had no problems and nothing in it to drive them in upon themselves. It was all there if they yielded to that kind of thing. But with all the problems, they were gripped by the Lord as risen, ascended and exalted, and so released from this hampering self.

In reply toRe: msg 5
PAULFROMNYS

Aug-21

There is nothing more devastating than to be eternally occupied with ourselves. Dr. Chalmers preached a sermon once, and it is regarded as one of the most famous sermons ever preached, and the title of his sermon was "The Expulsive Power of a New Affection". "The love of Christ constraineth" (2 Cor. 5:14), was his text, and he went on to show that the new affection drives out all those things which harass and paralyse and darken the life. They drive out from the inside everything but Christ and left Christ in possession. It was the expulsive power. The love of Christ expels from the inside, and then it expels you into the world. It is expulsive in this sense: that the love drives you out, as well as drives out of you, and that is what happened to him.

Well, there is a lot more that I see in all this, but I do feel that a new objective occupation with the Lord and a new captivation by Him is waiting. I should be saying perhaps, a dangerous thing if I said Pentecost is waiting, the Holy Spirit is waiting, but in some sense that is true. The Lord is waiting during this ten day period. What are you going to do about it? Are you going to get to grips with the thing that is hindering, that is holding you up, paralysing you? Or are you going to square down to this? What are you going to do about it?

In reply toRe: msg 6
PAULFROMNYS

Aug-21

The Lord is saying, "I am waiting for you; you are waiting for Me, but I am also waiting for you. You are living for some day which you think will come when the situation will change, when I will lead you out to your full work, but are you quite sure that there is nothing you have to do about this to bring that day, to overtake that day?" I do not know how that touches you, and I do not want to drive you in on yourself to try and find something, but the point is, are we held up, are we in the thing for which the Lord has called us? If not, is it because of something which we know we have got to face? We are hoping the Lord will deal with it, and the Lord is perhaps saying, "This is your matter; when you have dealt with that, I will come in". The Lord make His word of value to us!

In reply toRe: msg 7
PAULFROMNYS

Aug-21

That is the end of this article through TAS.