PAULFROMNYS

Bible talk

Hosted by PAULFROMNYS|Malachi 3:16-18/Bible talk

Based on Malachi 3:16-18 I believe the Lord will harken to us as we consider his word together.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Right standing with GOD #4   T. Austin Sparks

Started Oct-3 by PAULFROMNYS; 40 views.
PAULFROMNYS

Oct-3

We were saying last night that the name given to the Son of God as “The Word” is an eternal thought. A word begins with a thought. That thought was in the mind of God then the word is an expression of that thought. Here in this Gospel behind all that is written we have eternal thoughts. You must always, when you’re reading this Gospel, look behind the thing that is written. You will see how important that is as we go on.

In reply toRe: msg 1
PAULFROMNYS

Oct-3

Here we have in this Gospel then, the eternal thoughts of God. To what does that eternal thought of God relate? It relates to people whom He desires to have as His children. In other words, the eternal thought of God relates to a kind of being called “man”. You notice how the Gospel goes on – He, the Word, came to His own things, which He had made, of course, “All things were made by Him” John has just said. He came to the things which He had made, which were His own things, but the people who were His own received Him not. He had made man, He came to man, and man received Him not. But to as many as did receive Him, to them gave He the right to be children of God. 

In reply toRe: msg 2
PAULFROMNYS

Oct-3

I’m tempted to stay with that word “right”. In the Greek it is “authority”; a legal authority. To be a child of God is to have conferred upon us a legal authority. We are not illegitimate children, we are true sons with all the rights of true sons. Do you see what that implies? No one but these born of God have divine rights. All the children of Adam have lost their rights, they have lost all that they ought to have as God’s children. As children of Adam we have no claims upon God whatever. But those who receive Christ have all those divine rights restored to them. Later on an apostle will put it this way: “We are heirs of God and joint heirs with Jesus Christ.” That means that all our rights as sons of God have been restored in Christ. That is something of what we have come into in Christ. That is something of what has come in with Christ. But that is only by the way... let us go on!

In reply toRe: msg 3
PAULFROMNYS

Oct-3

This eternal thought of God which took expression in Jesus Christ is the thought of “not” to an old kind of man. Jesus Christ says “No!” to a certain kind of man. All the children of Adam now lie under the great “No!” of God. I’m speaking to your experience. If you know anything about having the Spirit of Jesus Christ, one side of your spiritual education is just this: inside of you the Holy Spirit says “No!” to a lot of things. You speak in a certain way... do you get away with it? Or do you not very soon feel something inside of you saying, “No, not that way.” Of course it is not all negative, but for the moment we’re dealing with the negative. The Spirit of Jesus Christ says “No!” to a whole kind of man and what we have to learn in Christianity is that to which Christ says “No!”.

In reply toRe: msg 4
PAULFROMNYS

Oct-3

Jesus Christ crucified is the end of a kind of man. Of course, that is representatively as representing this kind of humanity which He came to put away. So the coming in of Jesus Christ says “Not!” to a whole kind of man but in Himself, in Himself He is God’s “But!”.  He is God’s great “Yes!” as to man. I suppose it is not too often that we enjoy the “Yes!” we have a lot of experience of the “Not!” I find a lot of Christians who seem to enjoy the “Not”! I wonder if you know what I mean... Oh, how difficult it is to get a lot of Christians to forget themselves! They’re just about as miserable as anybody could be but they’re always hugging their miserable selves. They seem to love to talk about their misery. When they pray they’re always telling the Lord what miserable people they are, “Oh Lord, what a poor thing I am. Just look at me Lord. I’m no good”. And they just cling to that – you can’t get them to give it up. They almost love to be miserable. 

In reply toRe: msg 5
PAULFROMNYS

Oct-3

And so the Lord doesn’t do anything. If He does anything at all He says, “Well, you know that’s what I told you two thousand years ago and I have never changed My mind about you. It is your miserable wretched self that I put to the cross because I knew how miserable it is!” We do not enjoy the “But” enough. But it does work this way, if we do something that pleases the Lord, we know it inside. We know that the Spirit of Jesus Christ is saying, “Yes, that’s right.”  That is the way of peace. That is the way of joy. It’s this Christ Who is the difference in us. And I repeat: our whole spiritual education is to learn those two sides of Christ, to learn what Jesus says “No” to. 

In reply toRe: msg 6
PAULFROMNYS

Oct-3

I must stay here a minute. The thing that is surprising me so much today is how very little many Christians know of this speaking of Jesus inside. It’s not true here, but it is true very largely especially in our young Christians in these days. They can behave; they can dress; perhaps I ought to say not dress! They can get themselves up and in the Word of God there is a definite statement about that and yet these young Christians don’t seem to know what is in the Word of God. Shall I cite a Scripture? Here is the Word of God: “Let your women adorn themselves in modest apparel.”  You know, I think modesty has left this world very largely. Of course this doesn’t apply here, but I’m speaking about a principle. I look at many of these Christians and I say, “Where is the Lord in them? Why is not the Lord putting His finger upon this and that and saying: Not?”  That is what He came into this world for - to bring in an altogether new order, an entirely new order of consciousness. 

In reply toRe: msg 7
PAULFROMNYS

Oct-3

Now we come to the Cross of the Lord Jesus and we were saying last night that the Cross of the Lord Jesus stands between two distinctly different orders. On the one side the Cross says “No” to a whole creation. I do not think it was just a happening when Jesus died that darkness came over the face of all the earth. Heaven closed its light. What did that mean? Or do you just read it, you say, “Well when Jesus died, the sun hid its face. There was darkness over all the earth until the ninth hour.” But what did it mean? You have gone back before the creation. What do we find before the creation? “And darkness was over the face of the deep.” The work of God had not begun in creation. In the death of the Lord Jesus, we’ve gone right back. The work of God in the new creation has not yet begun until Jesus rises from the dead.