PAULFROMNYS

Bible talk

Hosted by PAULFROMNYS|Malachi 3:16-18/Bible talk

Based on Malachi 3:16-18 I believe the Lord will harken to us as we consider his word together.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Right standing with GOD #7   T. Austin Sparks

Started Oct-6 by PAULFROMNYS; 101 views.
PAULFROMNYS

Oct-6

I’m saying this because we must realize that there’s very much behind everything that John puts down here. There is so much more of meaning than John put into words and what we have to do is to get into the meaning. Now, having said that, we come to his Gospel and this presentation of God’s Right Man. What is true of the Lord Jesus is to be made true of every child of God.

Now, you are familiar with this Gospel, I expect you could tell me what is in it. Could you tell me what is in chapter 1? All that is in chapter 1? Chapter 2? Chapter 3, yes Nicodemus, we know all about him! Chapter 4 yes, the woman of Samaria, we know her. And so we could go on with the chapters. Well, let us get into this more deeply.

In reply toRe: msg 1
PAULFROMNYS

Oct-6

I’m going to take one line. John takes more than one line, he takes first of all, the line of the works of Jesus; what he calls “the signs”. We all know that that is John’s particular and peculiar name for miracles. John says that these miracles were signs. None of these works of Jesus were just things in themselves. They were not only meant to show what power Jesus had, they were meant to teach some deep spiritual lesson. And that lesson is concerning this new order of mankind. Well we’re not going to follow that line, there are eight signs in John and if you know anything about Bible numbers you will at once recognize that there’s something in that. Why should John, seeing that there were works enough to fill books that would fill the whole world, why should he only choose eight? Not only eight, but eight! Well, I’ll leave you to work that one out.

In reply toRe: msg 2
PAULFROMNYS

Oct-6

I want to get on with the other line, it’s the line of the words that John used. John selected special words for his purpose. We have seen what his purpose is, the new, right kind of man. Now he chooses words in relation to the right kind of man. I don’t want to give you too much detail, as it is I want the whole week for this conference! But there’s this technical point: John uses far fewer words than any of the other gospel writers. John’s vocabulary in this gospel is smaller than Matthew, Mark or Luke. John seems to have been definitely confining himself to a few special words. If his words are fewer, they are more weighty than all the others put together.

In reply toRe: msg 3
PAULFROMNYS

Oct-6

What are his words? I think as I mention them you will agree with what I’ve just said. They are mightier words than anywhere. Light. Life. Truth. Knowledge. These are a few of John’s special words. Now we are just going to use what time we have left on that first word. We are going to speak about new creation light. I’ve asked you to look at the first chapter of John, would you like to put a mark under the word “light”? If you do, it will seem to blot out everything else. Of course we ought to read it, but that word “light” is everywhere in that chapter and it is connected with the Lord Jesus.

In reply toRe: msg 4
PAULFROMNYS

Oct-6

Light

Now John, after chapter one, is going on to show that a characteristic of this new creation man is heavenly light. There are three words in John which have the same meaning: Light, Knowledge, Truth. We will not deal with them all in particular, but we’re going to speak about spiritual light.

The birthright of a child of God is heavenly light. John will take great pains to show that outside of the Lord Jesus, the world is in darkness. And he will show us that even religious Israel is blind. They’re all in darkness. They’re all away back there before the creation where darkness was over the face of the earth. No one outside of Christ, be they very religious Nicodemus or anyone else, is in the new creation light.

In reply toRe: msg 5
PAULFROMNYS

Oct-6

The second word: knowledge. In this book the phrase “to know” occurs fifty-five times. I’m not going to give you the number of times each of these words occur, you can make them out, it will be a nice little study for you: how many times does “light” occur right through this gospel? How many times does “truth” occur right through this gospel? But there is only one other word that occurs more times than the word “to know” and that is very interesting. The word which occurs more times than any other, is the word: “world”. “The world” occurs seventy-eight times. It stands over everything else and: “The whole world is in darkness...”

In reply toRe: msg 6
PAULFROMNYS

Oct-6

Well, let us leave the word “light” for a minute, come to this word “to know”. We are trying to get at the nature of spiritual knowledge. Although the word “to know” occurs fifty-five times, it does not always mean the same thing. There are two words in the Greek translated “to know”. I was just fascinated as I studied these two Greek words, I got down to the fifty-five times of the word and then I found that they divided themselves into two; two groups.

Fred (fnorthrup)

Oct-6

PAULFROMNYS said:

I’m going to take one line. John takes more than one line, he takes first of all, the line of the works of Jesus; what he calls “the signs”.

John indeed called the miraculous acts in his gospel "signs." This point is lost on the readers of the KJV, the translators of which  unfortunately were not faithful to translate the Greek word "semeion" as signs rather than miracles.

KJV John 2:11 This beginning of miracles did Jesus in Cana of Galilee...should read, "This beginning of signs Jesus performed in Cana of Galilee..."

What is a sign? It is something that literally and actually happened, but has a spiritual significance. 

The book of Revelation begins this way: The revelation of Jesus Christ which God gave to Him to show to His slaves, and He made it known by signs...

If we miss this point, that God reveals Christ to us through signs, how do we understand anything? In the beginning of Revelation are seven golden lampstands. These are signs. At the end of Revelation is a golden city of light, this is also a sign, because Revelation is a book of signs. All the miraculous works of Jesus in the gospel of John are signs. If turning water into wine is a sign, what does it signify? If raising Lazarus from the dead is a sign, what does it signify? This is how to study John.

?

Fred (fnorthrup)

Oct-6

TAS said:

but we’re going to speak about spiritual light

According to John 17:3, eternal life is to know God the Father, and Him whom He has sent, Jesus Christ.

John 17:3 And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Him whom You have sent, Jesus Christ.

If we take in, eat, digest, John's ministry, we will know the nature of God.

The nature of God's person is Spirit (John 4:24)

The nature of God's essence is love (1 John 4:8, 16)

The nature of God's expression is light (1 John 1:5)

Both love and light are related to God as life, which is of the Spirit.

Romans 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life has freed me in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and of death.

God, Spirit, and life are actually one. God is Spirit, and Spirit is life. Within this life are love and light. When the divine love appears to us, it becomes grace, and when the divine light shines on us, it becomes truth. John's gospel reveals that the Lord Jesus brought grace and truth to us that we might have the divine life.

John 1:14, 17 And the Word became flesh and tabernacled among us (and we beheld His glory, glory as of the only Begotten from the Father), full of grace and truth.

For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.

John 3:14-16 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up, That everyone who believes into Him may have eternal life. For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that everyone who believes into Him would not perish, but would have eternal life.

PAULFROMNYS

Oct-6

I wanted to start a thread to follow up this thought as it is new to me.  Do you know off the top of your head what the 8 signs in John are?