PAULFROMNYS

Bible talk

Hosted by PAULFROMNYS|Malachi 3:16-18/Bible talk

Based on Malachi 3:16-18 I believe the Lord will harken to us as we consider his word together.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

The inner man of the heart #3   T. Austin Sparks

Started Nov-28 by PAULFROMNYS; 223 views.
PAULFROMNYS

Nov-28

Chapter 2

So far we have done little more than emphasise the fact that the supreme concern of the Lord is with the spirit of His children, for it is there that the fact and nature of sonship has its beginning, its growth, and its expression. We shall see more about this later, but for the moment it will be as well if we dwell a little longer upon the nature of the spirit. The body, we know, has its own threefold components. The soul also is a trinity, i.e., reason, emotion, and volition. We have also shown that the spirit is tripartite. Its main departments or faculties being conscience, worship (or communion with that which is Spirit) and intuition.
In reply toRe: msg 1
PAULFROMNYS

Nov-28

Let us re-emphasise that while all men have these to a greater or less degree of consciousness this does not set aside the fact that all are "dead" in trespasses and sins apart from the new birth. There is no salvation in the New Testament sense of the word in having a conscience very much alive, or in being keenly attuned to the spiritual; and it is no argument that Divine revelation has been imparted because intuitions have eventually proved true. All this only shows that all men have a spirit which acts independently of the rest of their being. For the spirit in its different faculties to be the instrument of Divine purposes it has, as we have said, to be joined to the Lord, and the uniting factors are:-
1. The indwelling life of God as a gift at new birth.
2. The indwelling Spirit of God as the intelligent, executive member of the Godhead.

There are many passages in the scriptures which indicate the difference between the outer "I" of the soul and the inner "I" of the spirit. For instance Paul says "my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful," 1 Corinthians 14:14.

In reply toRe: msg 2
PAULFROMNYS

Nov-28

Then in 1 Corinthians 2 the Apostle says that "The psychical (soul) man receiveth not, neither can he know the things of the Spirit of God, but God reveals them to the spiritual (or spirit) ones, and only the spirit ones discern them!

This distinction is very marked in Paul's recounting of the reception of his special revelation. "I will come to revelations of the Lord. I (the outer man) knew a man (the inner man) in Christ above fourteen years ago, whether in the body I (the outer man) cannot tell; or whether out of the body I (the outer man) cannot tell; God knoweth, such an one (the inner man) caught up to the third heaven. And I (the outer man) knew such a man, (the inner man) whether in the body or out of the body, I (the outer man) cannot tell: God knoweth. How that he (the inner man) was caught up to Paradise, and heard unspeakable words which it is not lawful for a man (the outer man) to utter. Of such an one (the inner man) I (the outer man) will glory; yet of myself (the outer man) I (the outer man) will not glory."

In reply toRe: msg 3
PAULFROMNYS

Nov-28

Here we see, amongst other things, that, unless the Lord gives the gift of utterance the things revealed to the spirit cannot be expressed by the outer man. In another place the Apostle asked the prayers of the Lord's people that he might have "utterance."

Many other instances might be given, such as "I delight in the law of God after the inward man," and Romans 7 as a whole, but this is sufficient to lead such as desire to do so to follow this truth through. Here are one or two references: 1 Cor. 16:17,18; 1 Cor. 6:20; Rom. 8:16; 1 Cor. 5:5; 1 Cor. 7:34; Heb. 12:22.

In reply toRe: msg 4
PAULFROMNYS

Nov-28

Now we proceed to speak of the Lord's special concern with the inner man. Firstly we must realise that His supreme quest is for sons of His Spirit. The underlying and all inclusive truth of what has come to be called the "parable of the Prodigal Son," is the transition from one kind of sonship, e.g., on the ground of law, to another, e.g., that on the ground of grace. From the flesh to the Spirit. There is a sonship of God by creation on the basis of law. In this sense "we are all the offspring of God." But by "the fall," the "going astray" or "deviating" (Genesis 6:3), all the Divine purposes and possibilities of that relationship have broken down, and that relationship is no longer of value. "He has become flesh," hence is "separated from God," in "a far country," and "dead," as well as "lost." Here grace enters and the Spirit through grace. The Spirit begins operations in that realm of death and distance, convicting of sin "against heaven" (the only adequate conviction), compassing the end of the works of the flesh in despair and destruction, constraining, assuring, producing penitence and confession, and at length bringing to the place of forgiveness and acceptance. From death unto life, but not the same life as before, there is no "again" in the original of the last clause of Luke 15, it is a life which never was before. "That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit."

In reply toRe: msg 5
PAULFROMNYS

Nov-28

This man is the product of the travail and energising of the Spirit, and everything in the relationship afterward is new. A "new robe," the robe of Divine righteousness. "New Shoes," a walk and a way in the Spirit. Rom. 8:2,4. A ring, the symbol of authority, the jurisdiction of sons John 1:12,13. The fatted calf; food such as never was before, the best of the Father's house. Each of these points has in the scriptures a whole system of teaching. The spirit of man being then the place of the new birth and the seat of this only true sonship (Galatians 4:5-6), it also therefore being, "The new, man" - for it is "in the newness of the Spirit" that we are to live (Romans 7:6 etc.) - here it is that all the operations of God in our education, fellowship, and co-operation have their base.

In reply toRe: msg 6
PAULFROMNYS

Nov-28

The only knowledge of God which is of spiritual value for ourselves or for others is that which we have by revelation of the Holy Spirit within our own spirit. God never explains Himself in the first instance to man's reason. Man can never know God in the first instance by his reason. Christianity is a revelation or it is nothing, and it has to come by revelation to every new child of God, or their faith rests upon a foundation which will not stand in the day of the ordeal.

"The Christian Faith" embraced as a philosophy or a system of truth, or as a system of moral or ethical doctrine may carry the stimulus of a great ideal, but it will not result in the regeneration of the life, and the new birth of the spirit. There are multitudes of such "Christians" (?) in the world today, but their spiritual effectiveness is nil.

Fred (fnorthrup)

Nov-29

TA Sparks said:

The only knowledge of God which is of spiritual value for ourselves or for others is that which we have by revelation of the Holy Spirit within our own spirit.

Why should a person come online on a Bible forum and contend for the truth that God formed a spirit in man? Is it to promote a teaching? To form a doctrine? No! It is because the fact is that God formed a spirit in man so that man can contact and know Him. Man can be born of God, be filled with God, and God can be with us, His Person, His presence, in and experiential and real way.

But our spirit is a "spiritual thing" and must be substantiated by faith, otherwise it is as if we have no spirit. It like having a radio that you never turn on. It is like having a cell phone with a dead battery. Therefore we are burdened to speak the word of God to people, "There is a spirit in man." We must receive this word by faith and substantiate our spirit!

Job 32:8 But there is a spirit in man, / And the breath of the Almighty gives them understanding.

Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the substantiation of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

PAULFROMNYS

Nov-29

Radio you never turn on, I like that.  A spirit separated from GOD is like all devises with no batteries or source of power.

Fred (fnorthrup)

Nov-29

PAULFROMNYS said:

A spirit separated from GOD is like all devises with no batteries or source of power.

Right. God is Spirit. He is like radio waves. He is everywhere and always available. We substantiate physical things with our 5 senses. We substantiate psychological things with our soul (the Greek word is psuche). And we substantiate God, who is Spirit, with our spirit. This is what makes Him real and experiential to us. 

Romans 8:16 The Spirit Himself witnesses with our spirit that we are children of God.

2 Timothy 4:22 The Lord be with your spirit. Grace be with you.