PAULFROMNYS

Bible talk

Hosted by PAULFROMNYS|Malachi 3:16-18/Bible talk

Based on Malachi 3:16-18 I believe the Lord will harken to us as we consider his word together.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Our Sovereign Head #1   T. Austin Sparks

Started Jan-27 by PAULFROMNYS; 135 views.
PAULFROMNYS

Jan-27

Chapter 1 - Jesus: Before Times Eternal

"That I may know Him, and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being made conformable to His death." - Philippians 3:10.

These words express the life-long quest of the Apostle. This quest had swallowed up all other interests, ambitions, and values. There was a time when he boasted above any other man of the advantages which were his by reason of ancestry, descent, inheritance, status, achievement, rectitude, influence, etc.
In reply toRe: msg 1
PAULFROMNYS

Jan-27

If any other man thinketh to have confidence in the flesh, I yet more: circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee; as touching zeal, persecuting the Church; as touching the righteousness which is in the law, found blameless." There had come to Paul a glimpse of something which had made all this appear to him as "the veriest refuse" in comparison. That glimpse had been growing steadily, had reached the dimensions of "unspeakable things," but here right at the end of his life he is still crying "That I may know Him!" From all the writings of this inspired man we are going to seek to know what it was that had been breaking upon him as the revelation which was so all-absorbing, all-consuming, and what he saw to be the issues of such a knowledge. We therefore turn to see when and where this thing commenced, and what the commencement was. This is undoubtedly found in Acts 9:5. Here, smitten to the ground by the fierce blaze of the heavenly glory and in answer to his enquiry "Who art Thou, Lord?" The answer came clear, straight, deliberate, strong,

In reply toRe: msg 2
PAULFROMNYS

Jan-27

"I AM - JESUS!"

This answer issued in the collapse of an entire system and the reconstruction of everything for Saul who now became Paul. It sent him for two or three years into Arabia to get the significance of it. There is one phase of this declaration which we may immediately consider. Those words "I AM" which not only declared a fact but formed a designation, had often been on the lips of Jesus in the days of His flesh, and they had never been used by Him without some tremendous eternal significance on the one hand and some vital effect on the other. Let us look at some of these occasions.

John 4:26. - "I that speak unto Thee am" (he). The "he" is not in the original, and the Greek literally reads "Jesus said to her, 'Who speaking to thee I am.'" See the consequences of this!

In reply toRe: msg 3
PAULFROMNYS

Jan-27

John 6:20. - "He saith unto them, it is I, be not afraid." The Greek here again is "He saith, 'I am,' be not afraid."

John 8:24. - "Except ye believe that I am, ye shall die in your sins."

John 8:28. - "When ye have lifted up the Son of man ye shall know that I am."

John 8:58. - "Before Abraham was, I am."

John 13:19. - "I tell you before it is come to pass that when it is come to pass you may believe that I am."

John 18:5. - "Jesus said, Whom seek ye? They answered him, Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus said unto them I am. When therefore He said unto them, I am, they went backward and fell to the ground."

In reply toRe: msg 4
PAULFROMNYS

Jan-27

Later in our meditations we shall come to see something of the great spiritual meaning of some of the more familiar "I ams" of Jesus, but here we are just pointing out that this declaration carried with it a potency of tremendous effect, and it was both the statement as a fact and as a power which started Paul on this great quest and opened the way for the revelation of the eternal and comprehensive purpose of God in Christ.

Paul started by coming to see that the Jesus of the New Testament is the "I am" of the Old, but it went beyond that, it ranged the eternities and the ages.

"Before Abraham was I am" that as to past eternity, "before times eternal."

"I AM He that liveth.... and behold I am alive unto the ages of the ages" - that as to the eternity yet to be.

We now turn to look through Paul's enlightened eyes, as we are given spiritual perception, at the first phase of this range of the revelation.

In reply toRe: msg 5
PAULFROMNYS

Jan-27

Jesus: Before Times Eternal

The whole system and scheme of things in the universe was related to this, "Jesus," "I am," "before times eternal." It would take all our time, beloved, to turn up the references to everything we are going to say, and you will pardon me if I don't do that; but you can follow closely and go to the Word yourself, and, like good Bereans "see if these things are so," and you must just give me your confidence that what I am saying is with scriptural foundation, but of course, most of you will be readily able to see this with the very words of scripture with which you are familiar.

In reply toRe: msg 6
PAULFROMNYS

Jan-27

Now, then, go back into the eternity past and find the Lord Jesus there. Of course, this mere fact may not carry you very far, but the interpretation of the fact, the revelation of the nature of the fact which has come to Paul is very very vital for present purposes, and we must be pre-eminently practical. We are not dealing with eternity past in itself merely as such, we are bringing the facts out of eternity past to bear upon the present and immediate issue. This is the important thing, and this is really what we are after. When Paul, by revelation, takes you back there in his knowledge of Jesus eternally co-existent with the Father, he sees something happening back there. He sees many things happening; he sees one thing with two sides happening.