PAULFROMNYS

Bible talk

Hosted by PAULFROMNYS

Based on Malachi 3:16-18 I believe the Lord will harken to us as we consider his word together.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

The Recovery of Spiritual Power #2   T. Austin Sparks

Started Sep-15 by PAULFROMNYS; 235 views.
PAULFROMNYS

Sep-15

We are living in Judges conditions today spiritually. There is a state of weakness and failure where the enemy is not cast out. Where there is not that complete ascendency on the part of the Lord's people spiritually over the forces that are round about, there is a crippled, paralysed, defeated state of things. I am speaking generally. The food question is a very acute one, and it is only behind walls in little secret places you are finding spiritual food today. It is not the general thing. Here the Gideon party, as it were, is preserving all the food there is in secret, and it has to be hunted out - you cannot find it everywhere today. The food question is quite an acute one spiritually. We are not in the Acts conditions! We are in sub-apostolic times.

In reply toRe: msg 1
PAULFROMNYS

Sep-15

In Joshua you have the great leaders who maintained things according to God while they lived. When they died, when Joshua died, and Caleb died, then the period of the Judges came in. You have a much lower, lesser standard of holding things for God. The apostles held things for God while they lived. When they went, well, things went, and it has only been, and is only now, that here and there God raises up some ministry that recovers something for God, and it passes and God raises up something else, and it passes.

In reply toRe: msg 2
PAULFROMNYS

Sep-15

Another thing is that when the people did fail at any given point to do what the Lord needed, and to go on all the way with God - began to make compromise, to lower their standard, to accept things that God never intended to be accepted, to allow things to remain or come in - from that time onwards the Lord never cleared out the enemy altogether. He said, "Because you have not obeyed My word in destroying all these nations, they shall remain and be thorns in your sides forever", so that you never have through this whole period a complete clearing out, but He left these things to remain; firstly, on one hand, as a testimony to the unfaithfulness of His people as a whole, and on the other hand, as a test of the faithfulness of the people in particular. Their presence was a declaration that as a whole, God's people had been unfaithful. Their presence, on the other hand, was to be a test as to how many of the Lord's people in particular would be found faithful. So you have Gideon with three hundred out of thirty-two thousand. The rest are not going all the way, and God in a Judges era secures His great victories not by a whole compromising people, but by some who will go all the way with Him. Are we in conditions like that today? I do not think there is any doubt about it. The whole background as it is today spiritually, betokens weakness through compromise. It is a day of small things, and strength where there is a willingness to go all the way with the Lord.

In reply toRe: msg 3
PAULFROMNYS

Sep-16

The secret of weakness is compromise, and the secret of power is utter abandonment to the will of God. That is summing up Judges in a few words. We said it follows Joshua and that is the key.

We read the message to the church in Laodicea (Rev. 3:14-22). We believe that it represents the last phase of things of the Christian dispensation generally. We accept that interpretation that these messages and conditions represent things at different periods in the church history through the Christian era. Laodicea represents the last phase and last stage of conditions. What is it that represents Laodicean compromise? To be lukewarm; something trying to contain two things and losing its real character. "As many as I love I rebuke and chasten", with a view to getting them out of that state of compromise, that they may be those that overcome.

In reply toRe: msg 4
PAULFROMNYS

Sep-16

In a compromising age the Lord is seeking to get something that comes out of compromise to the state of absolute ascendency. At the end of the book of Judges we read again: "There was no king and every man did that which was right in his own eyes." There was compromise, refusal of sovereignty, government, and power. Come out of compromise, for all that is of God leads to the throne!

It is very clear what the Lord is after today. Laodicea and Judges go together as a state of things resultant from identical causes. Every chapter is crammed full of these things. Take the first chapter. The tribes of Israel are mentioned and what the Lord intended for them. Every one of the names in the list represents a spiritual principle. Then there are the names of the nations in this book, and they represent an opposing set of principles. (Look up for yourselves the meaning of these names). When those spiritual principles represented by those nations have got the upper hand in the land, it is because of compromise. Then the door is open to the invading forces from without and we find the first suggestion of Babylonian activity. One of the kings who came from far and brought the people into subjection here, came from Aram; the very place from which the Babylonian activity came, linked with Judges.

In reply toRe: msg 5
PAULFROMNYS

Sep-16

What the Lord needed ultimately was a remnant. In a day of declension and breakdown He seeks to get something out of it which is all for Himself and of Himself. That is what He is trying to do. Are you praying, longing for, expecting a return of Pentecostal conditions at the end? You are wasting your time. You will never have a repetition of the book of the Acts. A lot of people hope that something like that will happen. It won't happen. You have no foundation in the Word of God for expecting it. The Judges' conditions are that God leaves the enemy for a testimony to the unfaithfulness of the people of God, and then He begins to get something which, being wholly for Himself, is His testimony to victory in the midst of those conditions. Yes, blessed be God, it is still possible for there to be great expressions of the victory of the Lord Jesus, but what the Lord demands for those expressions is a people wholly according to His mind, where none of these things represented by these peoples in the land have a place and where the Philistines are once and for all settled.

In reply toRe: msg 6
PAULFROMNYS

Sep-16

The Philistines were a great harassing force and had the upper hand for a long time. The Philistines are the principle of the natural man taking hold of the things of God. When the natural man begins to get hold of spiritual things he destroys the value of them; he carries off your strength. Get the natural reason working upon spiritual things and you have no power at all. Two men may say exactly the same thing. One says it, it is perfectly true and in the Scriptures, yet there is something not there, something lacking. It is all quoted and does not satisfy, does not enrich though perfectly true. The other man says the same thing, every word, but it comes and reaches your heart and you feel it is getting in; the thing is life and strength. One is a Philistine and the other not. One is a Philistine from whom the flesh has not been cut off and the other knows identification with the Lord in death and resurrection. That makes all the difference - what is of man and what is of the Holy Spirit. The Philistines carry off the strength. Samson has his strength reduced to utter weakness by the Philistines. We have got people sporting themselves in the realm of spiritual truth and there is weakness, defeat, failure, paralysis. So we are able to see by the contrast what the secrets of power are.

Fred (fnorthrup)

Sep-16

PAULFROMNYS said:

The Philistines were a great harassing force and had the upper hand for a long time. The Philistines are the principle of the natural man taking hold of the things of God. When the natural man begins to get hold of spiritual things he destroys the value of them; he carries off your strength.

The natural man has been at the center of several of our discussions. We must find out what the Bible means by the natural man.

1Corinthians 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.1

PAULFROMNYS

Sep-16

Fred:  The natural man has been at the center of several of our discussions. We must find out what the Bible means by the natural man.

Paul:  To me currently it's like my other post regarding my marriage to you.  We try so hard to do the things we ought, but it's so bound up with our years of natural dealings.  We do this, and we do that, success, and failure abound, but from the heavenly perspective it is all 100% failure.  Then the approach of Christ in us appears, the the overcoming power of GOD is our experience.  How we love His appearing.

Fred (fnorthrup)

Sep-16

PAULFROMNYS said:

Paul:  To me currently it's like my other post regarding my marriage to you.  We try so hard to do the things we ought, but it's so bound up with our years of natural dealings. 

That is a good testimony of "no longer I but Christ" brother. I appreciate those kind of testimonies.