PAULFROMNYS

Bible talk

Hosted by PAULFROMNYS

Based on Malachi 3:16-18 I believe the Lord will harken to us as we consider his word together.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

The Recovery of Spiritual Power #6   T. Austin Sparks

Started Sep-29 by PAULFROMNYS; 106 views.
PAULFROMNYS

Sep-29

We were speaking of Othniel in the previous chapter. Othniel judged Israel and went out to battle. There has to be judgment inside before you go out to battle. If we are going out to conquest, to victory, we must first judge things that are not according to God, otherwise there is no hope of success whatever. The Judges principle must come in as a great active spiritual principle. There has to be a judgment of wrong on the inside before you can go out against the enemy with any hope of success whatever. So the Judges made it their business to deal with the internal conditions. See how it happened every time.

In reply toRe: msg 1
PAULFROMNYS

Sep-29

Immediately Gideon was chosen, the angel of the Lord said by way of introduction, "The Lord is with thee, thou mighty man of valour." It is a poor valour threshing wheat behind a wall for fear of the Midianites! But the Lord knows His vessel and what He can make of a vessel when He gets one. Gideon said "Oh my lord, if the Lord is with us why then is all this befallen us?" - a heart-searching question. Do you notice the result of that inward exercise of heart as to questioning the state of his people? The result was that he overthrew the altars, cut down the groves and destroyed all the false worship in his Father's house, in the family circle. He got to the heart of things. He found the answer to his own question. For a man to be a judge, he must judge within his own circle what is not according to God. Gideon would have been absolutely worsted before the Midianites if he had not judged things in his immediate circle of influence. Judgment must begin at the House of God. There has to be a clearing up of things where the enemy is in possession; [there has to be] occupation or ascendancy within the company of the Lord's people before there can be any hope of triumph.

In reply toRe: msg 2
PAULFROMNYS

Sep-29

That is the book of Judges. Othniel, Ehud and Deborah judged Israel and then things were according to the Lord's mind, and it was manifest that the Lord was with them, so that the principle of the very title "Judge" is that there has to be an internal examination as to whether things are according to God. There has to be a judging of all that which is not according to God or, to come back to the specific thought of a moment ago, we have got to look at God's exercising of our hearts. Has the Lord shown me anything? Spoken to my heart about something? Sought to lead me in a certain way? Raised a question in me about a certain thing? Exercised me in any matter whatever? What am I to do about it? Unless I immediately face up to that and give the Lord what He requires, respond, obey, and go all the way with the Lord without any question or hesitation, unless at the greatest cost I go on with the Lord, not only do I come to a standstill and the Lord in that measure departs from me, but I let in a positive thing which makes it ten times harder for me to go on presently. It brings in an arresting power in the work of God where He has placed me and in that measure I affect the whole and rob it of the fulness that God intended for it.

In reply toRe: msg 3
PAULFROMNYS

Sep-29

It is a solemn responsibility for anyone to fail to go on with the Lord, to be spoken to on any matter by the Lord and then to hold back. It involves the honour of the Lord and in the spiritual realm gives a great advantage to the enemy who never fails to take that advantage, but subtly, secretly begins to work upon that, as those nations in the land; to seize upon it and gradually, almost imperceptibly to use the vantage to gain the upper hand. And before long there is the whole terrible story of ascendency of evil forces and the arresting of the work of God and people of God and you track it down and find the secret there; at some point someone has made a reservation and did not go all the way with the Lord as shown them.

In reply toRe: msg 4
PAULFROMNYS

Oct-1

I am restrained from hurrying past these things - it may be plain to some of you here; it may explain something in the past of your life which has to be faced up to, or a warning for days to come. Whatever it may be, do take this to heart.

The book of Judges is the largest portion in Scripture representing spiritual weakness and has its explanation: it is that the people did not go on with the Lord. The land was before them; God said, "Possess and utterly destroy", and they said, "It is a pity to destroy some of these things... cannot we make use of them, turn them to account?" The land represents the flesh. We were saying in the previous chapter that Othniel had to face the flesh, but in every one of these there is a conflict with the flesh in some different form. All these battles were different - Amalekites, Amorites, Philistines or Moabites or whatever it may be - you have the flesh in some form. They were sometimes very pleasing forms in a sense, sometimes coming very near to the spiritual thing, an imitation of it. But the Lord had commanded these things should not be regarded as possible of being of use, but that they should be destroyed. There should be no compromise whatever.

In reply toRe: msg 5
PAULFROMNYS

Oct-1

We pointed out that the sparing of one fragment of this whole system gave occasion for the setting up of something which was an imitation and represented something more to be overcome. We mentioned the case of the man at Bethel. When they came to Bethel, the children of Joseph, to take the city, the Lord had given it into their hands - assured them of victory - but they dropped down on to this much lower level of asking this fellow to show them the way in and they would deal kindly with him, and in order to save himself he shows them the way in among his own people for their destruction. He escapes and builds another city so that instead of one evil to deal with, they now have two. He calls it "Bethel" - an imitation, not the House of God. They let a mere fragment of this system go, dealt kindly with it, and thereby released a power which set up something definitely opposed to the will of God. And whenever - to get an advantage, an easier way - we begin to deal kindly with a fragment of the flesh, because it is going to serve some advantage, when you do that you have released something which is going to construct something else which will be harder to overcome and set up a construction which is a lie, which pretends to be something which it is not.

In reply toRe: msg 6
PAULFROMNYS

Oct-1

We pointed out that the sparing of one fragment of this whole system gave occasion for the setting up of something which was an imitation and represented something more to be overcome. We mentioned the case of the man at Bethel. When they came to Bethel, the children of Joseph, to take the city, the Lord had given it into their hands - assured them of victory - but they dropped down on to this much lower level of asking this fellow to show them the way in and they would deal kindly with him, and in order to save himself he shows them the way in among his own people for their destruction. He escapes and builds another city so that instead of one evil to deal with, they now have two. He calls it "Bethel" - an imitation, not the House of God. They let a mere fragment of this system go, dealt kindly with it, and thereby released a power which set up something definitely opposed to the will of God. And whenever - to get an advantage, an easier way - we begin to deal kindly with a fragment of the flesh, because it is going to serve some advantage, when you do that you have released something which is going to construct something else which will be harder to overcome and set up a construction which is a lie, which pretends to be something which it is not.